GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heart transplant at 23K?!?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Sorry man sadly you fall under that 1% or less of ppl that just had really bad luck. I hope they fixed it right :(

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Changed cylinder head, both camshafts, timing chain, failed tensioner, oil, filter, coolant, etc.

Also the dealer put a nasty scratch on my hood and a chip on the windshield (during test driving) and despite promising that they'll paint the hood they "fixed it" with some touch-up paint, and told me that I should fix it instead.

No added warranty - some kick back from VWOA (for a month's car payment) for my car being in the dealership for 3 weeks.

During these 3 weeks I got no updates and when I finally picked my car, I got no info about what exactly was fixed or changed, other than the service rep reading the info from my invoice...

I'd drive up to 2 hours for a place to service my car, rather than going back to the dealer in Lansing. Any suggestions?

P.S. I really miss my Chevy dealer service people - that is so sad....

Call VWoA and tell them about your experience with the scratch and ask them if there is anything they can do for you. They have a habit of giving out dealer service vouchers and extended warranties when there are actual issues to complain about.

dervi98

Passed Driver's Ed
Already did all of that - I was essentially told the story that the dealer is not VWOA, so they cannot do much. I never got the standard survey (from the dealer or the VW) that I typically get after the regular service. That also speaks volumes about their business practice too.

Lesson learned - the only good thing was the buying experience.

dervi98

Passed Driver's Ed
I have some similar symptoms possibly depending how you look at it.. Take a look at my video and let me know if it was the same problem you had.. My dealer hasn't yet figured out what the issue is..

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37627

No nothing like yours. I had a few months of rattle when starting the engine (there's a post at the maintenance section I think with a youtube link), which I don't have now.

I was driving home from work and the idle seemed to me a bit weird (kind of unstable), but the car was driving well. The next morning the engine would crank but not start at all.

Hope you find a solution with yours...

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Already did all of that - I was essentially told the story that the dealer is not VWOA, so they cannot do much. I never got the standard survey (from the dealer or the VW) that I typically get after the regular service. That also speaks volumes about their business practice too.

Lesson learned - the only good thing was the buying experience.

FYI you don't always get a survey, it's randomly generated.

money4bacon

Rattle On Start Up

I just hit 27k miles on my stock 2010 gti. Was getting a faint rattle at start up. Engine Light about a few weeks after. Took it to dealer yesterday, they believe it is the chain tensioner. So far its been there 2 days now, Ill keep posting on what they tell me. Should all be under warranty.

daschrier1

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any VIN range or year that is more likely to have this problem?

I have an 09 that I bought in Feb 09 which is now out of warranty. I only have 24K on it, so it's possible that I could have a ticking time bomb waiting for me.

Were the chain guides/tensioners updated over the years?

money4bacon

picked up my baby today. good thing i brought it in when i did. chain tensioner was faulty. dealer also replaced intake manifold and secondary air pump. i was at 27k miles, still under warranty, didnt cost me a dime.

my advise, if u have a rattle at start up bring it in asap. ive heard horror stories of this tensioner goin bad and destroying peoples engines.