GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK6 Oil Catch Can System

FriggenT1

Banned
Ah ok that's a legit question. I'm sure Arin can answer better than I can. It's a different design, apr retains the oem pcv where others replace the valve cover.

That's because the OEM pcv valve is a weak link...or in other words, it sucks.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
The APR diagram shows a line from the catch can to the intake tube just before the turbo but does not show how the OEM tube it replaces at that connection is plugged, or rerouted. So what do you do with the OEM tube that connects to the intake tube just before the turbo inlet.

Last edited:

tofuD01

Ready to race!
The APR diagram shows a line from the catch can to the intake tube just before the turbo but does not show how the OEM tube it replaces at that connection is plugged, or rerouted. So what do you do with the OEM tube that connects to the intake tube just before the turbo inlet.

Hi Arin,

With this kit, what happens with the OEM PCV Breather Hose (06J103213D) ? There's no mention of it at all on the APR website.

From what the OP states, the OEM PCV Hose needs to be blocked off with their boost tap to use the catch can.

mfractal

Ready to race!
From what the OP states, the OEM PCV Hose needs to be blocked off with their boost tap to use the catch can.

Not really. The op states that you block off the intake manifold connector with a boost tap. But what about the house that comes out the pcv and goes to the intake?

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
From what I can guess it will go like this:

Front port from OEM PCV out to catch can, the rear port would have to be blocked so that when in boost it forces catch out through front port as well.

From the catch can it will exit and connect to the air intake port (where the rear PCV used to connect to).

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
It was not inappropriate, I was more or less requesting why it was deemed inappropriate.

Regardless, it looks like it simply didn't go through - appreciate your reply.

I asked what makes this catch can different than other catch cans already on the market for the MKVI and why the price was on the higher end - also that I am new to the platform.

Thanks for helping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What makes it different? Nothing. It is another expensive catch can.

Why is price on the higher end? Because APR

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Hi Arin,

With this kit, what happens with the OEM PCV Breather Hose (06J103213D) ? There's no mention of it at all on the APR website.

The rear hose is removed, and the port is blocked with the included block off plug. It's the silver and orange piece in the photo above.

I'm surprised they're peddling the 'reduced carbon buildup' narrative that was debunked ages ago...???....

The system can help to reduce carbon buildup and other junk from entering the engine, pooling in intercooler hoses, coating the intercooler, valves, manifold and so on. It will not 100% eliminate carbon buildup.

My question about this is whether PCV valve maintenance would still be recommended after installing this.

For PCV valve maintenance, what did you have in mind?

That's because the OEM pcv valve is a weak link...or in other words, it sucks.

The "weak link" occurs when the factory PCV systems see boost pressure. The factory PCV has a check valve designed to prevent the system from seeing boost pressure, but the check valve can fail.

Our system eliminates the “weak link.” The system never sees boost pressure.

Normally, the way it’s setup from the factory, a hose runs from the manifold to the PCV valve. Under naturally aspirated mode (idle), vacuum sucks on the PCV valve and opens the check valve. When you get on the throttle and boost the engine, flow goes the other way. Now boost pressure acts directly on the PCV, and the check valve has to close to prevent boost from going through the system.

As mentioned, our system eliminates this completely. The front manifold port is blocked off. Gasses are now routed into the can. In doing so, we can retain the factory PCV, which as a cyclonic separator designed to help separate out good oil from the vapors, which fall back into the engine, rather than dumping into the manifold, or intake system, or from being trapped in the can.

So, our system never sees boost, which is what cause it to fail. The system goes like this:

PCV -> Catch Can -> Intake (Pre turbo, so no boost)

The hose is removed, and the hole is plugged with the included tap. It's the silver and orange piece in the kit.

That statement is about the manifold port. If you have our boost tap, simply install the supplied NPT tap, and the boost tap blocks off the front PCV port.

estepnie

Ready to race!
In to see if there is enough clearance with unitronics dv relocation kit.

FriggenT1

Banned
The rear hose is removed, and the port is blocked with the included block off plug. It's the silver and orange piece in the photo above.

The system can help to reduce carbon buildup and other junk from entering the engine, pooling in intercooler hoses, coating the intercooler, valves, manifold and so on. It will not 100% eliminate carbon buildup.

For PCV valve maintenance, what did you have in mind?

The "weak link" occurs when the factory PCV systems see boost pressure. The factory PCV has a check valve designed to prevent the system from seeing boost pressure, but the check valve can fail.

Our system eliminates the “weak link.” The system never sees boost pressure.

Normally, the way it’s setup from the factory, a hose runs from the manifold to the PCV valve. Under naturally aspirated mode (idle), vacuum sucks on the PCV valve and opens the check valve. When you get on the throttle and boost the engine, flow goes the other way. Now boost pressure acts directly on the PCV, and the check valve has to close to prevent boost from going through the system.

As mentioned, our system eliminates this completely. The front manifold port is blocked off. Gasses are now routed into the can. In doing so, we can retain the factory PCV, which as a cyclonic separator designed to help separate out good oil from the vapors, which fall back into the engine, rather than dumping into the manifold, or intake system, or from being trapped in the can.

So, our system never sees boost, which is what cause it to fail. The system goes like this:

PCV -> Catch Can -> Intake (Pre turbo, so no boost)

The hose is removed, and the hole is plugged with the included tap. It's the silver and orange piece in the kit.

That statement is about the manifold port. If you have our boost tap, simply install the supplied NPT tap, and the boost tap blocks off the front PCV port.

Oh Arin just say it...it sucks, most will go out around 40k anyway from what humble mechanic said.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Oh Arin just say it...it sucks, most will go out around 40k anyway from what humble mechanic said.

As I mentioned earlier, the factory system is designed to see, and stop, boost pressure through the use of internal check valves. This pressure can tear the check valves, or cause the system to fail in other ways. Since we're removing boost from the system, the valve doesn't have the same opportunities to fail and thus can still be used to separate oil. :thumbsup:

steve9842015

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been looking into this for a bit. I know this must be talked about a ton, but what are the common symptoms of the PCV failing? I'm just about to hit 70k; been APR k04 for maybe the last 5k.

I was looking at the ECS one, but heard issues of the hoses not being a proper fit. The way this one mounts seems to be better as well.

FriggenT1

Banned
As I mentioned earlier, the factory system is designed to see, and stop, boost pressure through the use of internal check valves. This pressure can tear the check valves, or cause the system to fail in other ways. Since we're removing boost from the system, the valve doesn't have the same opportunities to fail and thus can still be used to separate oil. :thumbsup:

Ok, I wasn't insinuating your part was bad btw, just that the plastic junk they use with many parts on this car suck...the pcv is one. The check valve either gets broken, carbon built up, or the top diaphram fails, but yes, removing anything boost from it will likely extend it'slife greatly.