GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

brobst's road to k04- 13' CSG 6MT

chadsmb

Nice build. Just bought a stock ‘13 and I’m from Jackson but drive to Ann Arbor a lot for work. Any cool meets around here?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Nice build. Just bought a stock ‘13 and I’m from Jackson but drive to Ann Arbor a lot for work. Any cool meets around here?
There are a group of guys who meet up about once a week on Wednesday around novi/ twelve oaks area. I'm no longer in michigan, but I can connect you to them. We chat on google hangout mostly for coordinating meets and stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
1100 mile round trip down the east coast. Man i95 is kinda rough. Rained the whole time. Felicia held up though no mishaps and pulled hard the whole trip.

Got to play with a tt and a benz once I got to florida. 4 door, the sporty one I believe. Sounded great with an exhaust

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Just finished my street k04 tune on 93 octane. Starting my E30 blend tune once I use up some gas.

Logs to follow

EDIT: Logs for E30 blend k04 final file. 5 gals of E85 mixed with 93 pump gas.
E30 log

Last edited:

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Oil change, tire rotation 53118 miles 01/30/18
Gotta clean air filter tomorrow and top off oil in the daylight.

Edit: oil good. Air filter 53119 miles 01/31/18

Last edited:

ksandman

Ready to race!
Are you still planning on upgrading to a gtx kit? If so, what kit are looking at? I'm going back and forth between k04 and big turbo. It's killing me lol. Nice built btw. Sometimes I wish I got a manual instead of the DSG. That feeling has been bugging me a lot lately haha.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Are you still planning on upgrading to a gtx kit? If so, what kit are looking at? I'm going back and forth between k04 and big turbo. It's killing me lol. Nice built btw. Sometimes I wish I got a manual instead of the DSG. That feeling has been bugging me a lot lately haha.
Today I'm going on the dyno for the current k04 build to see how we are doing. Measuring the e30 blend output and comparing it to the 93 pump. If I hit my intended 350whp/350wtq, I may just keep it this way.

But to answer your question, I was looking at either a smaller efr turbo or one of the turbos from my tuner Mabotech (m480). Before I can upgrade though, I would want to build the motor, so its going to be a slower process getting to the next stage for me. Next target power level would be 450hp, and I think that's the max I would want out of the fwd platform.

The gtx looks nice, but from my inner circle they think the BW efr is of a higher quality. I trust my guys on that stuff given their backgrounds.

K04 is the easiest bolt on and done mod you can do for this car for the quickest hp/tq gains. No need for engine work, fueling work, or a lot of auxiliary upgrades. Safe power for your stock engine. Keep that in mind when deciding, BT can get expensive very fast, as I have seen just pricing high quality turbo kits, motor building, and fueling kits. Its going to cost me at least 10k to go up meticulously upgrading to BT.

ksandman

Ready to race!
So true. I was just going over that same thought in my head this morning. What would be the point of upgrading to a big turbo if I’m skating on thin ice while remaining on a stock engine. Sure it could be done, but I’d rather at the minimum do rods, and if I’m doing rods I should go ahead and upgrade and refresh most components. And yeah at that point it would be 10k or even more.

CTS is having a sale right now so I’m pulling the trigger on the k04. I think I’d be content if I can reach close to or right at 300whp for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Update from the dyno today. Dynojet dyno, florida 85F 12pm so good humidity too.
My car, fbo k04 p&p e30 blend tuned by Frank Mabo of Mabotech made 356whp/355wtq. Gains of ~40hp and ~50tq over the base k04 map.

Shout out to STP motorsports for letting us use the dyno and Frank for working his magic. Tune has no timing pull, and is going to stay this tame until I get an ethanol gauge where we can keep it always safe for higher power.

Need to confirm this, but is this the highest hp k04 without the use of water/meth documented?

ksandman

Ready to race!
Update from the dyno today. Dynojet dyno, florida 85F 12pm so good humidity too.
My car, fbo k04 p&p e30 blend tuned by Frank Mabo of Mabotech made 356whp/355wtq. Gains of ~40hp and ~50tq over the base k04 map.

Damn those are impressive numbers. Who ported your turbo? How much psi? That’s a good gain from adding some e85

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Damn those are impressive numbers. Who ported your turbo? How much psi? That’s a good gain from adding some e85

Its socal turbo who did the pnp.
Only about 2450millibar so approx 23 psi. Yeah that e85 cranks up the timing

dustbunny227

Autocross Champion
Installed the stainless steel clutch line and removed the clutch delay valve from the master cylinder. Also did full fluid flush of all 4 corners and clutch. Ate 200 fluid.
Clutch engagement feels more linear, most likely dur to removal of the delay valve. Feels more responsive and I feel more comfortable doing faster shifts.
35k miles 09/10/2016

Picture of removed delay valve. Looks like a mini turbo lol.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I had a question on this delay valve. Did you follow any tutorials for it? This sounds like something I want to do on my car. How difficult was it to do? Did you need to block it off? Any negative feedback to report on it? Still working correctly?

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I had a question on this delay valve. Did you follow any tutorials for it? This sounds like something I want to do on my car. How difficult was it to do? Did you need to block it off? Any negative feedback to report on it? Still working correctly?

I did not do a tutorial. When changing the clutch line to stainless, the delay valve was just plugged into the firewall side. I just pulled it out. It has the same fitting as the clutch line so the line fit well in its place. When removing the line from the bleeder valve, there was a little fluid drip. Definitely isn't gushing out. But wear the appropriate gloves as it is brake fluid, which is toxic. Follow the instructions for stainless steel line install.
As for feel, the delay valve is actually a vibration/oscillations dampener. So you will feel more in the pedal as you engage. Its more feedback for the driver basically. Doesn't seem to have any drawbacks from it.
I like the feel some may not. But it can be replaced easily.
You will probably have to bleed the clutch line afterwards as well, since you open the system up.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
New engine installed 56327 miles. Fluidampr pulley was removed. Not related to the damage.
Measured clutch disk and it has 8.11mm thickness. Manufacturer spec was 8.4mm so I haven't lost much meat and its holding well. Clutchmasters states to replace the disk close to 6.8mm of material left. Love this clutch.

Last edited: