GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TT-RS/Golf R master cylinder

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I started hacking up my battery tray. I can mount it in the car and clear the booster now. I'll be making some cosmetic enhancements while I wait for the battery to arrive.

Went to a couple parts stores today and no luck with the hard line extensions. I'm going to keep it simple for now but down the road I may invest in a flare tool and cut the factory lines perpendicular to the firewall flare the ends and have a clean pair of lines running to the MC from there. That way it has a more OEM look. But if it ever were to go back to stock i would have the original lines I could bolt right back up.

Tomorrow I hope to be able to track down new brake lines and pick up a couple feet of hose for the vacuum line.

LAGP

Ready to race!
If you don't have any luck with the hard lines, you can fit stainless steel braided Teflon lines

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
After the kids were in bed I went to Advance and I was able to get copper line. The fittings are wrong so I'm going to have to use the ends I already have and flare these myself. So I ordered a pack of unions and some additional fittings from Amazon. I'm going to try renting the tools for cutting/bending/flaring once I have all the components in hand.

I also picked up vacuum line while I was out and came home to realize that the port on the Touareg is much larger. So I'll need to get a short piece of hose and a reducing barbed fitting to get that hooked up.

Battery is due here between 12/7 & 12/12 so my hope is to be up and running with everything byte end of that weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I still have work to do on the battery tray but I'm happy with current progress.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Thanks, me too! Well my new garage has half a roof! Headed out to see if I can get tools for the brake lines.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
If anyone has a line on a cheap GTI reservoir let me know. The guy that agreed to sell me one hasn't replied to me since...

LAGP

Ready to race!
Btw how are you handling brake switch on your car?

I extended the cables to the interior and adapted the original magnetic switch on the pedal, not an easy solution, it took me quit some time to understand how it works and to calibrate it.

IMG_20161204_155219365.jpgIMG_20161204_155121828.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Had a friend over that's an electrical engineer... discussed some options for the brake switch so I feel pretty confident that will be an easier solution than what @LAGP went through.

I marked and cut my factory hard lines. Hope to have the new lines bent and installed tomorrow. Not certain if time will allow.

So the last big question I'm struggling with is if I should try and modify the mounting position of the master bracket or not. I'm not sure it's really needed with all the stopping power I have. This brake system was designed for a car with a curb weight ~ 1500 lbs heavier than the GTI.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Haven't posted for a couple days. I got my new battery and I'm working to complete the mounts for it now. I'm off work on Thursday and I hope to make good progress then.

I've practiced doing some flares on the excess brake line and I'm not convinced that I'm getting a good seal. I'll keep at it a bit before I try the lines actually going on the car. I wish I could find compression fittings deemed appropriate for brake lines but they don't seem to exist.