GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally happened... sagging headliner on my 2011 GTI.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I was looking at slightly used headliners in good shape as to replace the headliner doesn't involve much at all, so I'd just tackle myself, but $350 seems like a deal.

I looked in to replacing the headliner piece like you but it seemed it was a pain in the ass to do. Also, I wouldn't buy another VW headliner because chances are very high that it will sag again.

zrickety

The Fixer
Not necessarily the glue, the foam comes apart and lets go. You can DIY for about $70 in materials, scraping the old stuff off the headliner board and 3M spray glue the new material on. $350 for a shop repair is not bad, that's about what a replacement costs from VW.

Uberryan

Banned
Not necessarily the glue, the foam comes apart and lets go. You can DIY for about $70 in materials, scraping the old stuff off the headliner board and 3M spray glue the new material on. $350 for a shop repair is not bad, that's about what a replacement costs from VW.

I had my headliner replaced before and it was noted on the paperwork as a $790 repair... do you mean just the headliner piece?

zrickety

The Fixer
Yes, I was referring to just the part. It's not a hard job, just fiddly and took me a couple hours.

Uberryan

Banned
Isn't it essentially just removing all the handles above the windows, the visors, and the dome lights and pulling it out through the hatch? I've removed the dome lights and all that madness before on individual projects. Didn't seem challenging.

MMKAY6

Ready to race!
Welp... guess what. Headliner just turned 3 years old and it's sagging in the exact same spot as before. I glued it for now, but yeah, it's going to obviously get worse. I hate this cheap garbage. How much did you guys pay to redo the headliner aftermarket?

You have to be kidding me. So your 6 year old car has essentially gone through two headliners. That's insane as my weekend car (1993 Cobra) is 24 years old on the original headliner that still looks like new.
I guess my newly replaced headliner will fail again too in a few years.

Uberryan

Banned
You have to be kidding me. So your 6 year old car has essentially gone through two headliners. That's insane as my weekend car (1993 Cobra) is 24 years old on the original headliner that still looks like new.
I guess my newly replaced headliner will fail again too in a few years.

The way I see it, you can probably get 3 years total out of a VW headliner in a tropical climate.

My MKV GTI had this happen, fortunately it was a lease, or it would've likely happened again. Also, my ex's MKIV Jetta had it happen.

Another reason I won't buy another VW. Literally the only car brand I know who doesn't care about recurring problems unless government agencies force them to.