GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Baby's First Build Thread

clownish

just clowning around
CLESonny has a beta tune - you should probably just have an off the shelf tune since the beta tune is definitely not production ready.

I would talk to HS, specifically Ken.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
On a not so happy note, I'm having some issues starting since my tune.

It isn't consistent but at least once, if not a couple times a day sporadically she's having trouble turning over. Normally the car turns over on like the 2nd crank. The issue I've been having is it's taking 7-8 cranks before it passively starts up. She's never not started up, but it cranks for long enough for me to think "uhh, is it gunna start?" Been happening since tune, so 3 weeks? now.

I was thinking maybe the battery was just going. I don't know how old the current one is; It came with the car. I took it over to the dealership and they ran a battery test on it and it came out fine. I got r8 coilpacks with the tune, but I opted out of spark plugs when he mentioned them, so maybe that's it? The timing just seems too perfect for a something to spontaneously be wrong at the same time I got the tune.

I ended up talking to HS again, and I'm taking her up to the shop tonight. Tim mentioned Sonny having a similar problem that resolved itself with time. Something about getting the tune when the temp was fluctuating a lot from day to night during the time the tune is settling in? I'm not sure. I'm sure if there's something to track down they will find it.

Honestly with how much i positively mentioned HS in this post, i ought to get paid for advertising. :laugh:

Haha it sounds like my exact problem. You got your tune in on Monday and I went in Friday to get the Stage 1 beta tune. Long story short, the program bricked my ECU due to a bug and they had to flash it to stock and back to APR Stage 1. So the next day, I noticed the start up issues. I went through the same steps thinking it was the battery and coil packs. It happened to be a few times and then my beta tune was fixed and ready by the following Wednesday. Ever since the beta tune, the start up issue hasn't come back to haunt me.

I would say it is probably the tune. Hopefully the new tune will come out soon to public.

And at least you now have coil packs for when you go faster. I am also in the same boat of saving up for stage2/k04.

The Ginkneb

Ready to race!
Weird. Definitely doesn't seem normal. I have been APR stage 1 and now 2 (soon to be K04) and the car always starts 1st time. Lately just been taking longer on first try.

Have YOU checked your plugs, had a battery and alt test, or scanned your car? Getting any CELs? Just seems strange that both of you are having this issue.

I have not in fact checked the plugs or tested anything out since I did not perceive this as a problem. I always psych myself out on the forums. Damn it. Now I will worry about this.

Still not too worried but I'll look into it soon.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Ps: I did have a thread on there from like 2 or so weeks ago and people also think it is the tune. Same with the burnallthemk6 Facebook page. Going in for a new beta stage 1 tune. Hopefully it will release soon and that was your issue. I didn't have the issue with my first tune in December 2013. It only came up when I had to get to re flashed to stage 1 a few weeks ago. A couple days after you got yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Got her back yesterday after work. As it turns out it was an issue with the tune. They flashed back to stock and the problem went away, so they tried a different version of the tune(the left foot braking one apparently; convenient to have) and the problem seems to be gone now. :thumbup:

So yeah, stock tune didn't want to cooperate apparently.

---

I have another really really dumb question. Does/should the tune change my boost pressure numbers at all? I'm using a different gauge than most people on here (autometer) so it could be the gauge, but before the re-tune i was getting like 11 vac, 15 press max. I was under the impression that was about normal. Last night i was out after getting her back from the shop and now i'm consistently getting 20 vac and 15 press max. While she was up at HS they wired my gauge backlight up to my dash lighting, so something may have changed with it but i would guess that they'd fixed it, if anything. I guess my question is: what am i supposed to be getting? It just seems really odd that my max stayed the same but i'm suddenly getting like 10 less(more?) vac. :iono:

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Glad HS was able to figure out what was wrong.

And -20 and 15 psi sounds exactly right.

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Broke 40k driving home the other day. :cry:
Commuting sucks.

On a related note, its hot as balls and the new Lamb of God album is pretty good.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Spotted you this morning when you were backing into your spot at Starbucks. I was about to pull out in a loaner Passat. I was dropping my car off for the water pump recall. Car looks good!

zalani

Passed Driver's Ed
Spotted you this morning when you were backing into your spot at Starbucks. I was about to pull out in a loaner Passat. I was dropping my car off for the water pump recall. Car looks good!

I live a quarter mile away from that Starbucks, and its on my way to work. I'm there to damn often, lol. Thanks!

I haven't been on here much lately because I haven't had money to do some upgrades :( Ah well, that's life.

Tifore

Ready to race!
Nice car! I like the build so far.
Im on the east side of Cleveland, in Mayfield.
Awesome BodyArtForms sticker! Hope to see you around someday.

TKE Mario

Ready to race!
Just got my tax return, gunna spend some of it on mah baby.

now just to pick what...

CAI for sure, as for intercooler, I'd say consider how far you wanna take things with modding your car, if you plan on sticking with stock turbo just get the S3/Golf R intercooler and save money for other upgrades on suspension and handling instead. #JustMy2Cents

noooowwwwww if you're gonna eventually go K04 or larger turbo...that changes things lol but be prepared to spend a lot of $$$