GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did I break?

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
I made my first attempt at jacking up the car bc I wanted to install an O2 spacer to clear CEL from my down pipe.

After raising the front right about 8-10 inches up I hear a loud bang/pop followed by a ringing / reverberation sound.

Visual inspection of under body and suspension shows nothing. Quick drive around the neighborhood at 10 mph and I feel nothing out of the ordinary.

What did I break? :(

(If I had to guess I'd say FSB but what do i know)

Last edited:

P_m651

Ready to race!
Could the noise have been from your jack? Bang: car settled on the jack to a more stable spot. Reverb: spring (inside most jacks) just ringing after the bang shock.

I'd check your jack point under the car for damage. And I hope you were using a jack stand to support the car after jacking up - never crawl under with just a floor jack.

Cole Trickle

Ready to race!
There was no visible damage to the jack point.

It's possible the noise came from the jack but I think the more likely cause is that I lifted the front right of the car too high off the ground so that it was supporting too much load, and then something went bang as I slowly lifted the car higher.

After hearing the noise I lowered the car and freaked out for a minute. I then tried again, this time only going high enough to place a jack stand in the appropriate place. I went to do the other side but the car shifted slightly on the first stroke and I'd had enough and called it quits

zrickety

The Fixer
Did you have the jack under the reinforced piece behind the wheel? It's about 6" long and hard to miss. I can lift the whole side of the car off the ground, literally both wheels, without making any noises.

Halfbreed

Passed Driver's Ed
Did you have the jack under the reinforced piece behind the wheel? It's about 6" long and hard to miss. I can lift the whole side of the car off the ground, literally both wheels, without making any noises.

This. Always use the reinforced pinch weld. But be advised its not a guarantee so always be on the side of caution. The pinch weld crushed on my S4 and I had a budge in the passenger floor board.