GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good Bye Jetta SportWagen TDI. Hello R20?

f14dmechanic

Well.... it looks as though I may be transfering from Va Beach over to Sigonella, Sicily (If I get the orders I requested). With that said, I will be terminating the lease on my SportWagen almost 3 years early. There is this thing called the Service Members Civil Relief Act that allows members of the armed forces to cancel their leases on homes and vehicles of they get orders to another country or are deployed for over 180 days. Soooo...... with that said, I may be going to Sicily and looking to purchase a new R20. Does anybody know if I would be able to import it back to the US when I return in 3years?

MonthOLDpickle

Ready to race!
You can anywhere as long as you got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

XdelaforceX

this is from the import Q&A you can find thru most of the TMO sources online and at the local office on base.

"MILITARY AND CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES of the U.S. government returning at the end of an assignment to extended duty outside the customs territory of the U.S. may include a conforming vehicle among their duty-free personal and household effects. The auto must have been purchased abroad and be in its owner's possession prior to departure. Generally, extended duty is 140 days or more. Navy personnel serving aboard a U.S. naval vessel or a supporting naval vessel from its departure from the U.S. to its return after an intended overseas deployment of 120 days or more are entitled to the extended duty exemption Conforming vehicles imported under the duty-free exemption are dutiable if sold within one year of importation. Duty must be paid at the most convenient Customs office before the sale is completed. Conforming vehicles so imported may remain in the U.S. indefinitely once a formal entry is made for EPA purposes. (See below, "Emission Standards.")"