maskari_gti1

Go Kart Champion
I've got a question on the Touareg calipers. I know that these fit on our cars:
17Z VW Touareg - Driver 7L6 615 123 T - Passenger 7L6 615 124 H

But would these fit as well?
17Z VW Touareg - Driver 7L6 615 423 H - Passenger 7L6 615 424 G

DSF767

Ready to race!
ughh why did I have to look at this thread again which made me check ebay and found an amazing deal on a pair of these calipers. So now I am a proud owner of the calipers.

The deal was to good to pass up now the question is will these calipers clear 17" wheels the specs of my wheels are 17x8 ET40?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
ughh why did I have to look at this thread again which made me check ebay and found an amazing deal on a pair of these calipers. So now I am a proud owner of the calipers.

The deal was to good to pass up now the question is will these calipers clear 17" wheels the specs of my wheels are 17x8 ET40?

my 17s are 17x7 et50 and i only needed 3mm to clear safely.

DSF767

Ready to race!
Ok so I got my Calipers and went to swap the crossover tube and the things are really in there tight. I tried to do it with a crescent wrench and it would not budge and the wrench actually slipped. I don't want to strip the bolt so does anyone have any advice on getting the tubes off the calipers?

Last edited:

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Ok so I got my Calipers and went to swap the crossover tube and the things are really in there tight. I tried to do it with a crescent wrench and it would not budge and the wrench actually slipped. I don't want to strip the bolt so does anyone have any advice on getting the tubes off the calipers?

Argh...DON"t use a Crescent wrench.. As I recall those are 10mm (7/16ths on the stock caliper). Use a 10mm open end, or, if you've buggered the nuts, use a 10mm flare wrench (which is a 6 flute Box wrench with a slot cut in it for fitting over the tube). If you really screw it up you can buy new crossovers, but Brembo parts are generally not cheap..

Repooc

Ready to race!
I've got a question on the Touareg calipers. I know that these fit on our cars:
17Z VW Touareg - Driver 7L6 615 123 T - Passenger 7L6 615 124 H

But would these fit as well?
17Z VW Touareg - Driver 7L6 615 423 H - Passenger 7L6 615 424 G

From what I can tell, those are the rears. for driver and passenger sides, respectively.

They're also a 4-pot setup for the rears. Not sure if they'll fit size-wise; but it may be best to source the boxster non-S rear calipers (also 4 pot) because they definitely fit the GTI, and save yourself the guess work.

DSF767

Ready to race!
Argh...DON"t use a Crescent wrench.. As I recall those are 10mm (7/16ths on the stock caliper). Use a 10mm open end, or, if you've buggered the nuts, use a 10mm flare wrench (which is a 6 flute Box wrench with a slot cut in it for fitting over the tube). If you really screw it up you can buy new crossovers, but Brembo parts are generally not cheap..

Awesome Modshack thanks, that worked with a regular 10mm open ended. I didn't mess up the nut, I only tried it twice with the Crescent so it did not round the nut so I'm fine now.

Last edited:

Dadasracecar

Ready to race!
Why do you need to mess with the crossover tubes anyway?

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR Stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, SB Stg 2 endurance, Peloquin LSD, tracked frequently.

DSF767

Ready to race!

2010 GTI 4dr autobahn, APR Stg2, AWE tbe, ECS sways, Vogtland springs, SS lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HP+, Unibrace XB, SB Stg 2 endurance, Peloquin LSD, tracked frequently.

Cross over tube must be swapped because if you don't the wrong piston will be leading causing excess pad wear and other things you don't want happening which I'm sure Modshack has tons of technical info on.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

Cross over tube must be swapped because if you don't the wrong piston will be leading causing excess pad wear and other things you don't want happening which I'm sure Modshack has tons of technical info on.

Exactly....The pistons have staggered sizes....A Boxster caliper mounts behind the axle... Imagine rotating it around the rotor to the forward position (VW) to maintain the staggered clamping on the rotor....Your bleed nipples are now down and the crossover tube on top hence the need to swap things around.

barische

Go Kart Champion
Exactly....The pistons have staggered sizes....A Boxster caliper mounts behind the axle... Imagine rotating it around the rotor to the forward position (VW) to maintain the staggered clamping on the rotor....Your bleed nipples are now down and the crossover tube on top hence the need to swap things around.

Also has to do with different piston sizes. Trailing piston sizes needs to be in correct order for proper clamping n pad wear. I think discussed couple pages before

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This Brake Mod seems to be the most sensible and practical. I try to follow these threads closely. I do have a couple of questions.

1. Are spacers needed for the OEM 18" rims? Honestly I hate running spacers though I realize I am sure it would be minimal, it still places more of a load on the bearings. I am sure 5mm wouldn't hurt too bad, but still. I just want to confirm that you do or do not need spacers.

2. The REFIRB kits on RockAuto seem to be a pretty good deal, you would need to swap the bleeders and such, but has there been any issues from REFIRB calipers from RockAuto?

3. The changing of the Banjo bolt, and Brake Lines. I need a little more clarification on that. You just buy new Banjo Bolts and any Brake Lines for a GTI will work?

4. The solid Metal pieces that go inside the pistons. Are those necessary if your using the shims? You would think if you used shims with some high temp Copper paste on the backside you shouldn't have any issues? or those solid pieces are actually necessary?

5. OEM Brake Pad Sensor. Does the Porsche pads use a sensor in the brake pads like the VW ones do? And if they do, do they plug right in to the VW connector? or does all that get disconnected? If so, does a dash light come on thinking your pads are wore?

Really doesn't seem too bad of a job, just want to get as much info as possible.

Thanks Everyone.

Jeff