GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golf R Test Drive

Joel1

Passed Driver's Ed
mhoutman I agree with you, the R with DSG great, but the thought of keeping the car for +5 years creeps me out, since my DSG Golf has had numerous issues in the first year of ownership. If the DSG can´t handle a 1.6L diesel engine, I can only predict that the DSG will go kaboom after 5+ years or earlier (after warranty runs out..) . I would take a manual GTI over the DSG R any day. It´s kind of funny how some Americans are losing their sleep over the Golf R. It´s really not that superior over the GTI, IMO when you finally get to really drive the R it can be a bit dissapointing. At first, the power does feel really strong etc, but after driving the car for a few hours you really start thinking is this worth the premium over the GTI. The difference is not day and night. Still, the 4 motion is a huge plus nonetheless. We always wan´t what we can´t have..
Anyway, congratz on your new car(s), I am sure you will love them! My GTI is also scheduled to deliver early January. A few more months to go..!

shahabdin

Ready to race!
mhoutman I agree with you, the R with DSG great, but the thought of keeping the car for +5 years creeps me out, since my DSG Golf has had numerous issues in the first year of ownership. If the DSG can´t handle a 1.6L diesel engine, I can only predict that the DSG will go kaboom after 5+ years or earlier (after warranty runs out..) . I would take a manual GTI over the DSG R any day. It´s kind of funny how some Americans are losing their sleep over the Golf R. It´s really not that superior over the GTI, IMO when you finally get to really drive the R it can be a bit dissapointing. At first, the power does feel really strong etc, but after driving the car for a few hours you really start thinking is this worth the premium over the GTI. The difference is not day and night. Still, the 4 motion is a huge plus nonetheless. We always wan´t what we can´t have..
Anyway, congratz on your new car(s), I am sure you will love them! My GTI is also scheduled to deliver early January. A few more months to go..!

Yup mate. I think that I totally agree with you on that one. It really isn't worth much the premium you're going to pay over the GTI. I guess not unless you plan on taking her on track :IONO: :) Cheers buddy!

mhoutman

it is not the sheer power difference which is obvious but it is more the difference in steering and how the R behaves on the road. but sure my experience with the Bimmers Active front sterting played a influenced me here.

btw if we had chosen the GTI we also would have gone for the optional ABT remap. It is under full warranty of the Dutch importer for 2 years and €1500.00 for 50 HP is a great deal :thumbup:

denisGTI

Ready to race!
What are the specs of the european GTIs?

I assume it also comes with 2.0T TSI, but how many hp and tq it has.

I am curios it VW tuned euro GTIs more agressivelly then the ones for North America.

Thanks,
denisGTI

mhoutman

What are the specs of the european GTIs?

I assume it also comes with 2.0T TSI, but how many hp and tq it has.

I am curios it VW tuned euro GTIs more agressivelly then the ones for North America.

Thanks,
denisGTI

yes the 2.0 TSI with 210 HP and 280 Nm torque (NL specs)

denisGTI

Ready to race!
yes the 2.0 TSI with 210 HP and 280 Nm torque (NL specs)

Thanks. I guess you got extra 10 hp. Nice.
Here it's 200hp and 280 Nm Tq.