GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing cigarette lighter socket??

diabolicaeve

Hey everyone, I'm brand new to this forum and I've been searching around the internet for a DIY tutorial but can't seem to find one.
The other day my cigarette lighter jut stopped working in my 08 GTI. I used to keep change in the little compartment but stopped doing that months ago. I know it could have gotten shorted out by something getting stuck in there (a bobby pin, penny, etc.) but recently nothing's been in there but my usb adapter.

I'm going away this weekend and need to get this sorted out before I go so I can charge my stuff, would it be worth it to buy the parts online & do it myself?
Or should I call the dealer and bring it in?

It's definitely not the fuse because I swapped it out with a working fuse (even though it didn't look blown) and the outlets still didn't work.
The 12-V in the trunk doesn't work either, and yes I kept my car running while testing all this. :(
If it's something I could do myself I'm more than happy to, but if it's a pain in the neck or might be caused by a bigger problem I guess I'll have to take it in.

Thanks in advance for advise/help. xo

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
It's a blown fuse. No need to waste time and money at the STEALERSHIP.

mattdibart

Go Kart Champion
No need to check every fuse lol

Replace number 42