GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dedicated Track Tires?

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Just get cheap 17x8's and sticky 245 wide street tires like R1R, RS3, RE11, DZII, etc. in the 140-200 treadwear range. If you really want to step up to R-comps start at the lower end of the grip spectrum with something like Toyo RA1. They last longer and are still safe on the street and in the wet (until the tread gets down past halfway, then they are dry-only).

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Just get cheap 17x8's and sticky 245 wide street tires like R1R, RS3, RE11, DZII, etc. in the 140-200 treadwear range. If you really want to step up to R-comps start at the lower end of the grip spectrum with something like Toyo RA1. They last longer and are still safe on the street and in the wet (until the tread gets down past halfway, then they are dry-only).

Why 245 and not 225 or 235? Tire rack site is recommending 225 but 235 seems closer to the 8 width. The re11a aren't in 245, only 225 and 235...

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Tire Rack just says 225 because that's the stock width for the car, 235 or 245 are better for getting max grip out of an 8" wide wheel. I'd get either size depending on availability.

Thanks for the advice. 245 has minimum 8 rim, not sure I like being on an extreme. Seems moot since only 235 available in 45R17, 245 drops to 40R17. Sounds like 235/45R17 will work best for me.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
If you are worry about clearance also, 235/45 will be harder to clear than 245/40, just because its a taller tire....

Brendon

Ready to race!
I am running 245's direzza zii on a 17x9 wheel now. It's tight but works. I am autoxing on that setup tomorrow for the first time. They the tire sits flush with the wheel.It sits pretty flush with the fenders.

I would personally go with what everyone is saying (RS3, zii, etc...)

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
If you are worry about clearance also, 235/45 will be harder to clear than 245/40, just because its a taller tire....

Well the total diameter of 235/45r17 is very close to the 225/40r18 I am running now. On my raijins at offset 45 they are close to flush. So if I go to 50 offset wheels that's moving the wheel inward by 5mm but then 10mm wider tire means half of it sticks out from the 225, ie 5 mm. Does that cancel the 5mm offset change meaning the tire will be at about the same flush ness I have now, and about the same diameter? Is that math right?

If so my only worry is inside rubbing I guess.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Math is indeed right. Ignoring differences in actual tire size compared to nominal tire size (some tires run small or large, even from the same manufacturer) your tires would sit at the same place on the outside and be 10mm further in on the inside.