GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant temps up to 220 F

Beej1

Ready to race!
I monitor my coolant temps using my P3Cars gauge frequently in the summer and winter months. Usually they won't go over 206 F, but lately I've been seeing as high as 220 F.

I shut off my car tonight, and both cooling fans were running. They're quiet, but they're running. Do these have two speeds, or just one?

Are these things prone to bad thermostats or pumps? The car is on stock tune, with 84k miles.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
220 is normal on occasion.

With the cobb gauges i can peak 220 but like you said usually sit around 204-206. My best guess is during/after a pull it jumps up to 220 for a sec to register and then begins cooling down... i never see the live gauge at 220 but i see it stored as the max.

Also yes if the car is hot after you turn it off it will keep the fans on for a couple minutes and circulate coolant to a set temperature... the fans cycle at different speeds based on need.

Beej1

Ready to race!
220 is normal on occasion.

With the cobb gauges i can peak 220 but like you said usually sit around 204-206. My best guess is during/after a pull it jumps up to 220 for a sec to register and then begins cooling down... i never see the live gauge at 220 but i see it stored as the max.

Also yes if the car is hot after you turn it off it will keep the fans on for a couple minutes and circulate coolant to a set temperature... the fans cycle at different speeds based on need.

I will say, it's only when I'm stuck in traffic that I've seen it that high, but that's been with no A/C in 85 degree weather, so nothing too severe.

That's good to know that the fans do run at different speeds. I recall hearing them run louder in the past. I wonder if a high-speed fan switch could be at fault. I guess I'd have to hook it up to a Vag-Com and try to run that.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
i dont think theres any issue. Mine run on and off and fluctuate temperature based on whats going on.

I think everything is normal. Now if it sat at 220 constantly you might want to look into things but it just sitting there in dead traffic or on and off i dont see it being a issue.

Jaber

Modero
Normal. With AC on, my coolant temps stay lower. Driving with no AC, mine sometimes creep up to 220 and eventually come back down.

Beej1

Ready to race!
Good to know, thanks guys. I'll have to pay attention to it a little closer with/without A/C on. That's a relief, I thought something was about to go out and leave me stranded!

Kind of related topic...
Do they make a lower temperature thermostat for our cars? I run a lower temp one on my older BMW that I track.