GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Suspension noise! Excuse my noob!

Veewdave

This has probably been answered a million times but my from suspension sounds like it’s full of ice cubes or cheap rubber bushings. The car has 140k on it and I plan on doing struts and springs very soon but is this noise the upper strut bearings? That’s my first thought. My buddies JETTA does it too but I doubt he cares enough to fix it lol! Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful so I can get the parts to fix it before I tear into it!
Thanks
Dave

CHerna

Ready to race!
At 140K the car is overdue for top-hats, bearings, mounts, etc.

Veewdave

But is that the noise I'm hearing ya think? I know its tough to say but I'm wondering if this is a common noise?

ahard48

Ready to race!
Check your 3 top hat/bushing bolts on your strut tower under your hood, maybe one broke and its wiggling in there???

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
This has probably been answered a million times but my from suspension sounds like it’s full of ice cubes or cheap rubber bushings. The car has 140k on it and I plan on doing struts and springs very soon but is this noise the upper strut bearings? That’s my first thought. My buddies JETTA does it too but I doubt he cares enough to fix it lol! Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful so I can get the parts to fix it before I tear into it!
Thanks
Dave
As others have said "it could be anything" but IMO the most trouble some issue that causes noise is the Front Swaybar End Links. If the are bad, every thing you drive over will cause a rattling sound. I had them go bad on my wife's Tiguan then the Golf. I bough the $13 ones from ECS Tuning and they have out lasted the originals.

PS. To troubleshoot just crawl under with the wheels straight, grab hold of one and shake, you should not hear any rattling.

Cheers !

EDIT: Sorry my apologies, I meant to say Front Swaybar End Links not Bushings

Last edited:

JamieConway88

But is that the noise I'm hearing ya think? I know its tough to say but I'm wondering if this is a common noise?
I agree. If you describe how the sound is, is it a knocking sound when going over bumps or turning corners or a grunt or a squeak, etc.? It would be easier to identify the problem if we know about the sound.