GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche Brembo NQSBBK Review!

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Update - 10 Months later
Brakes are still awesome. Pedal travel has increased due to the wearing of the pads. Not that big of a deal. Still stops very strong. Saved my but not to long ago from an accident.

Update
Even though I over torqued the performance deisel brackets they are still holding strong perhaps due to the lock tight. I guess they are the cheaper route and would work well if you don't strip them like I did but I still wish I went with the apikol brackets because they are stronger and according to some people center the caliper so that no shaving of the pegs is needed.

Also, I did have a lot of loud brake squeal which went away completely once I stalled the vibration dampeners which can be bought from pelican parts.

So after a few months of wishing I can have good brakes like my 2 previous rides (R32, G37) I finally have them! I decided to piece my own NSQBBK (Not so quite big brake kit). The journey began with finding a good set of calipers for a great price. I found excellent condition calipers using www.car-parts.com which ran me around 230 bucks shipped for both calipers. One caliper was off a 2004 boxster and the other from a 2002. Both were from car under 25k which received an A rating on car-parts. Cleaning the calipers with a wire brush was pretty easy but time consuming. Before painting with G2 caliper paint I used lacquer thinner to get any possible brake fluid out. You do not need a caliper piston tool to push the pistons back in. It it pretty easy with two hands pressing down with the thumbs. Beware of G2 paint sold on ebay. My paint kept bubbling every 5 secs which required me to keep stirring before every dip. I put two coats on and had plenty to spare. Decals were bought from ebay and so far they are staying on. I'll have to go through a few car washes to see how they last. Next is the brackets which are required to fit these brakes into our cars. I bought my kit for 300 shipped from Performance Diesel and I DO NOT recommend anyone buy from them. The bracket they sell is made from aluminum or some kind of soft metal and do not allow you to torque your carrier bolts to 140lbs. Buy the brackets from Apikol. They sell actuall steel brackets and those torque to spec. I stripped both top holes of my performance diesel brackets and I hope they dont come out. I will probably get the apikol ones when I save up some more money for peace of mind. The kit from apikol is only 44 bucks more which includes brackets, ss lines, and 4 bolts. If you buy your calipers off a car which drove 30k or less I don't think a piston rebuild is required. My boots seemed very good. I spend around 8-10 hours over the course of 3 days installing these brakes. NOTE: You will most likely need to use a dremel to shave down the pegs which hold the pads cause they will touch the rotor on one side only. I don't know how centered it will be with the Apikol brackets. So I finally installed everything and bled the brakes with a power bleeder and the pedal was very mushy. Coming from hawk pads and tyrol sport bushings this was not the feeling I was hoping for. I drove around and did the required pad bedding which consisted of (20) 60-10mph runs. 10 run without letting the brakes cool, then you drive around a bit to allow the brakes to cool then you do another 10 runs. So today I bled the fronts again and did the rears too (for the first time) and had many more bubbles come out. After I was done bleeding...

All I can say is WOW! These brakes are a powerhouse. No more mushy pedal. With brake assist on 2 I get an almost instant bite like I did on my R32. But unlike the R32 brakes these actually stop the car without locking and screeching. It's such a confidence inspiring feeling. It feels like one of those fast elevators you ride in expensive buildings when they stop. Stops with this smooth force. I highly recommend this setup for added security and confidence. I am running stoptech pads with disc quiet and I get no squeals of any sort.

Guys, save yourself the time and buy from Derek (mkv forums) and have these installed buy a professional unless you dont mind labor intensive activities and you know what you are doing. I did a LOT of research and still had questions about certain things. I also got new brembo rotors from ECS. Hope this post is helpful for anyone looking to upgrade their brakes. Yes, bushings and hawk pads and ss lines make your brakes better but when it comes to stopping from a higher speed I don't feel save with stock calipers.

Attachments

• bbk.jpg
    bbk.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 2,825
  • bbk2.jpg
    bbk2.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 1,251
  • bbk3.jpg
    bbk3.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 1,374
  • bbk4.jpg
    bbk4.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 1,554
  • bbk5.jpg
    bbk5.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 1,558
Last edited:

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Nice work. What was the total cost for all the parts? Also a list of parts would be helpful in putting a complete package together.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I'll make the list of parts tomorrow.

Thx for the sensor dude. It's just hanging there behind my rotor. It wouldn't reach the pads. Doesn't really matter though cause you can easily see the pad thickness.

I'm not sure the toureg brembo would fit 17inch wheels. Can you post a link to the upgrade. I think someone mentioned it was overkill for our cars.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
What rotors are you using?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lookn' good, agreed on Derek from MK5's kits as well.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Great kit. Like it !!

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Great kit. Like it !!

V33DUB

NOTE: You will most likely need to use a dremel to shave down the pegs which hold the pads cause they will touch the rotor on one side only. I don't know how centered it will be with the Apikol brackets.

I don't think you need to do so with Apikol brackets because their kit includes a shim that goes between the strut and the bracket. This way the caliper should be centered. I can confirm this once I will have installed it on my car.

Thanks a lot for your review. I was looking for the brake feel I had on my Passat 3.6 4Motion (same setup as the R32) and it looks like I made the right choice.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Nice work. What was the total cost for all the parts? Also a list of parts would be helpful in putting a complete package together.

Stoptech pads were around 65 bucks from here
http://www.carpartkings.com/centric-parts-front-disc-brake-pad-309-07370.html

Calipers can be found using the link in my first post for around 220 shipped.

G2 Caliper paint is around 45.

The brackets from apikol plus the lines and bolts come out to around 350 shipped.

Then you have to consider which tools you need. You will need an 11mm box wrench for the bleeder screws and removing the old lines and installing the new ones. You will need a 21mm socket for the carrier bolts. You will need a torx 30 bit to remove stock rotors if you decide to change them. You will need a 10mm allen bit to bolt the calpers to the brackets. I don't know what kinda bolts apikol will you but for the performance diesel kit it needed 10mm. Removing the wheels requires a deep 17mm socket. All the sockets mentioned here are 6 point sockets, not 12. Plus get some grease from autozone for the thick pin that holds the pads. Also get some anti squeal past. I didn't use any threadlock and I used a little anti seize on the rotor screws.

So you are looking at around 700 bucks for the kit painted given you have the rest of the tools like a jack, stands, and torque wrench, breaker bar and 3/8 drive socket wrench.