GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #1
chadsmb
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: Looking
Oil change with Vacuum extractor (time lapse video)

Since downsizing to a rental after changing careers at 30 I found myself without the room and tools (some are in storage) to do oil changes with a jack. Being the winter I did this in my place of work (aircraft hangar) but normally the oil will be changed in my driveway. Hence, I decided to purchase an EWK vacuum extractor on Amazon along with MOTUL 8100 X-cess 5w-40 and a Mann oil filter. I will probably just use site sponsors from now on but I had some other things I needed on Amazon.

Having never changed oil in this fashion, I thought it went well. I didnít even have to get on scrubby clothes because I always spill SOMETHING on me when changing with a jack.

A trick I learned are to keep the tube moving up up and down until you find the sweet spot. Youíll know because the tube will fill completely with oil and the extractor will fill quickly. I was wondering why I couldnít get more than 2 liters out. I knew the oil was within recommended anoount because I check often. It happened quickly and wouldíve cut down a large amount of time had I realized sooner.

One more pretty obvious trick is to keep pumping periodically. Iíve used siphons before and once those get going you donít have to do anything else but with the vacuum pump it wonít keep going even if the extractor is below the oil pan.

I feel like I got most of the oil out. I actually overfilled and came back and extracted a little bit out. It was still new oil coming out. One way to check next time is to justborroe a jack and get underneath to be sure, I just needed to get this done as I was last 5,000 miles and I would like to keep the changes right at 5k.

If you are thinking about this, I highly recommend. If you donít have access to a lift or something to easily get underneath, or just want to keep clean, this is a good route. I took the oil straight to Autozone and dumped it out. No mess.

Hereís a time lapse of the process, under 40 seconds long.

https://youtu.be/UeHOY3IJAd8
chadsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Compared to bottom side draining, does this method get all the bottom oil out?
I have no experience with an extractor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
JamieConway88
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: BMW
I have never used this method to change oil. Is it more effective than normal way?
JamieConway88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:41 PM   #4
Blakcard
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2011 Candy White 2dr 6spd GTi
Thanks for the video... maybe i missed it but how long did it take you to get a reasonable amount of oil out before you filled it with fresh oil?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #5
gdub09
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
We do this at the dealership but with shop air. You get probably 90% or more out in the first 10min, I usually leave it in for 15 because the newer tanks we just got aren't as good as the old ones. The car does need to be at operating temperature for it to work though. It makes it so easy to do 2.0s & 1.8s. It's basically an easier way to change oil with the same results.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
chadsmb
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Compared to bottom side draining, does this method get all the bottom oil out?
I have no experience with an extractor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I canít say it all and/or more just because I canít tell whatís left but I moved the sucking tube around at the bottom (which reaches the oil pan) and nothing more came out. Iím going to do some tests next change to see if I get all of it. Iíve heard that draining from the bottom can leave some in the pan.

Doing it with a warm engine is recommended so the oil flows better.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
chadsmb
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakcard View Post
Thanks for the video... maybe i missed it but how long did it take you to get a reasonable amount of oil out before you filled it with fresh oil?
Itís hard to tell in the video but it was about 20-22 minutes, I think I could do it quicker now knowing a little more about it.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 AM   #8
chadsmb
Passed Driver's Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub09 View Post
We do this at the dealership but with shop air. You get probably 90% or more out in the first 10min, I usually leave it in for 15 because the newer tanks we just got aren't as good as the old ones. The car does need to be at operating temperature for it to work though. It makes it so easy to do 2.0s & 1.8s. It's basically an easier way to change oil with the same results.

Yeah Iím liking this a lot.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #9
AM407
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
I bought a Pella oil extractor a couple years ago and will never touch the drain plug again. Itís just too easy this way.

I had some doubts, so the second time I used it, I crawled under the car afterwards to take out the drain plug to see how much oil was left behind- it was maybe a few tablespoons.
AM407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
TheCor
Autocross Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
I have done nearly all of my oil changes this way since owning the vehicle and I'm just about at 88k now. I change at 5k intervals. After extracting the oil, I am always able to use a full 5qt bottle of Mobile 1 to fill without overfilling (manual says 4.9qt with new oil filter, and you have to assume that .1qt is probably left behind in the bottle anyway.)

At 80k I did do a drain from the pan just to make sure nothing unexpected came out and everything was good. I highly recommend doing it this way, at least for this vehicle because the oil filter is right on top and it makes the job so clean and easy to do.
TheCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
Since the extractor goes in the dipstick tube on the passenger side of the engine it seems to me jacking up the drivers side a bit would help get all the oil out.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #12
gdub09
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ashchuckton View Post
Since the extractor goes in the dipstick tube on the passenger side of the engine it seems to me jacking up the drivers side a bit would help get all the oil out.
That's no necessary, it will pull all the oil being flat on the ground.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
1ashchuckton
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Carbon Steel Grey DSG
I just thought having the car lean toward the dipstick side would ensure a full drain.

It would be an interesting experiment. Pull the oil out & then jack up the drivers side to see if any more oil comes out.

I'm still removing the drain plug, but I'm interested in trying the top side method. My concern is leaving a bit of oil oil in the bottom of the pan each time may lead to sludge after time.
1ashchuckton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 PM   #14
hbrown0509
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: 2013 VW GTI 4DR DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ashchuckton View Post
I just thought having the car lean toward the dipstick side would ensure a full drain.

It would be an interesting experiment. Pull the oil out & then jack up the drivers side to see if any more oil comes out.

I'm still removing the drain plug, but I'm interested in trying the top side method. My concern is leaving a bit of oil oil in the bottom of the pan each time may lead to sludge after time.

I just used my Schwaben fluid extractor for the first time the other day and I donít think much oil gets left behind in the pan. Itís pretty powerful in getting the oil out. I was pretty impressed with it. Plus a lot less messier so itís a win for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hbrown0509 is online now   Reply With Quote