GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG vs. Manual

haydini

Hello!

I'm pretty new here, and I am going to be purchasing my new Volkswagen GTI MK6 very soon. Something that has been bothering me is deciding between the DSG transmission (I love the paddles) or the manual. There is a 2010 Autobahn I found for only $20,500 and only 30,000 miles and it is a DSG. Would you recommend DSG transmission over manual, or should I wait to find a manual?

Thank you so much

DUBPL8

Go Kart Champion
Depends, if you do a lot of commuting in rush hour I'd say the DSG would be beneficial.

Otherwise get the manual. In a performance car like the GTi a manual is a must. Plus you also need to factor in the maintenance costs of the DSG in 10k miles since DSG fluid service is at 40k.

Honestly, coming from a DSG owner, I'd wait until you find a clean manual example.

CFG9000

Ready to race!
The only bad thing about getting a DSG is that it will spoil all non-DSG cars for you, and you'll never want to go back :thumbsup:

Stigar

Ready to race!
Agree with above statement I've had a passat dsg and it was fun....but I like my manual better even in rush hour traffic it doesn't bother me to much maybe bc I'm used to it. IMO dsg is actually better performance wise until k04, example my friend has a Vw cc apr stage3+ dsg and I'm k04 manual and I can keep up with him pretty good bc he hasn't flashed and rebuilt his dsg to make it capable of holding that power. Shop told him to completely redo tranny to make it worth it was about $8,000. For me it's &2,000 you get the picture???

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
DSG is quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Rated better in fuel efficiency as well.

If you love to shift though, get a manual.

Test Driver

I've personally aways had a manual, but just recently purchased a Golf with a DSG transmission and absolutely love it. Remember a DSG transmission is not really an full automatic it's a hybrid cross between a the manual and automatic. It has dual shaft and dual clutch inside. I believe gears 1,3 and reverse are on shaft one and gears 2, 4 and 6 are on shaft two. To get more information I've included a link below.

http://http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DSG-faq-VW-Audi.htm

quality_sound

hmm.......
The only bad thing about getting a DSG is that it will spoil all non-DSG cars for you, and you'll never want to go back :thumbsup:

Categorically false. I despised my DSG. PDK sucks as well and after driving an M3 with M-DCT I ordered mine with a manual and loved every second of it. Blasting though the Italian Alps or on the autobahn rowing your own gears is far more satisfying a driving experience. To be fair, I had my GTI in Germany and make these same drives with both transmission types and unless a manual is not offered on any car in the US, I'll never go back to a double clutch. Saying you'll never go back is flat our false. Double clutch transmissions are not all they're cracked up to be, have terrible low speed driving characteristics, are expensive as all hell to repair when they fail, and with the current state of regular automatics there isn't much, if any performance benefit anymore either.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Hmm....another DSG vs. Manual debate

chinqutie

Go Kart Champion
i was gonna say the same oh noes but since he's a newbie..oh well. and i won't be the douche to say use search haha

haydini

Well, I had seen a few others on here already, but I figured I could include other stuff about why I am deciding now rather than just choosing between the two transmissions :).

I'm a freshman in college, so I will have the car for a good while! I am not worried about being older and not wanting to have to shift. To be honest, I have never owned a manual car. I've driven 2 of them, and it felt as though I may get annoyed with constantly having to shift. Also, DSG just seemed really cool :D

On the other hand, I am more than likely going to modify the car a little in the future (Blow off valve, cold air intake, exhaust) and I didn't know if the DSG type transmission would be effective with these kinds of modifications.

GTI2012

Ready to race!
To DSG, or not to DSG

Do what I did. Find a helpful dealer and try both extensively. I went about six times for test drives, with 2 and 4 door and DSG and Manual. Then form your own position. As you can see from the answers this has been a active debate for some time and there seems to be two diametrically opposed points of view. With the DSG being such a good automatic, it really boils down to personal preference.

RMR

Passed Driver's Ed
Having driven manual only cars as daily drivers for over 22 years, I purchased a '12 GTI Autobahn DSG in July of this year. I wanted a manual but was never a fan of the "loose" (my opinion) feel of VW and Audi manuals (this opinion formed from having owned a 2000 A4 Avant 1.8T 5spd Manual and a 2005 TT 225hp 6spd Manual).

I bought the GTI with the DSG and I find it more appealing and involving to drive than my 6spd manual in the BMW. It's really an amazing transmission if you get into it and use it for all its worth. I would recommend the DSG to anyone. However, it helps to get the most from it if you're an experienced manual trans driver.

McQueen77

Banned
Having it to do all over again, i prob would have gotten dsg even though i love driving a standard. It is a one trick pony and theres only one way to drive it. It feels silly sometimes, always with the left foot right hand routine day in and day out, day after day after day having no other options. Theres a reason its cheaper. Im stuck with the car a long time but the next car will lack the third pedal. Ive done my time

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
This question is sort of like "blondes or brunettes," really. You can't give someone an answer for them; they have to figure it out for themselves. After 25 years of manuals, I went on a two-year hiatus with a Ford Fusion Sport 6spd auto, which was a great if relatively standard auto tranny, but couldn't shake the need for a third pedal. So I went back to the six-speed with my '12 GTI, and couldn't be happier. It's maybe the second nicest manual I've had (the best being the transmission in my 1999 Acura Integra GSR), and far and away better than the one in the WRX I used to drive.

But I know a lot of car enthusiasts who like modern non-manuals, DSG and otherwise, and there's no way you can say that's wrong. It all comes down to what you want and need, where you live, all that stuff.

The only bad thing you can do really is buy something that you feel other people think you should have, rather than buy what you really want.