GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk 6 B-Xenon Lights & AFS - Is there a Kit?

truevo

I just took delivery of my new '11 GTI which came with halogens. There was a miscommunication between myself and the salesman and they sourced a car from Oregon with halogens, which I did not want. The price of the car was great (US$25.5k) but I definitely want to install a bi-xenon kit asap. Are there any companies that sell the full "kit", including AFS?

My car is a U.S. spec btw.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
You have to just buy the OEM replacements/parts with AFS - it is quite expensive if I remember correctly.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
It would have been cheaper to buy them on the car, then you get the added goodies included too. Bummer.

xGaspy

Go Kart Champion
I'm buying the kit from OEMPlus, right now they're offering the kit for $2250, I believe. I'm getting mine ASAP, I also had a dealer miscomunication and I didn't catch it until it was too late :(

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
It would have been cheaper to buy them on the car, then you get the added goodies included too. Bummer.

yep.

I'm buying the kit from OEMPlus, right now they're offering the kit for $2250, I believe. I'm getting mine ASAP, I also had a dealer miscomunication and I didn't catch it until it was too late :(

I most likely would have said "no" on the car then, personally.

truevo

I'm buying the kit from OEMPlus, right now they're offering the kit for $2250, I believe.

Looks like $2295 from OEMplus

I'm getting mine ASAP, I also had a dealer miscomunication and I didn't catch it until it was too late :(

In my case, the salesman did not understand that I wanted all of the options that an out-of-state car 2010 GTI had, including bi-xenons. They were apparently a standalone option in 2010 but are now bundled with the nav system, which I did NOT want. They got my 2011 from Oregon (I'm in Wash. state, Seattle-area) and I picked it up yesterday. The car was in the detail shop when I arrived so I signed all of the papers and then went to take delivery - - THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE!!!

As I was checking the hood for paint issues I sort of thought that something looked different or wrong with the lights - these being halogen the DRLs look different. I had never actually seen a Mk 6 GTI with halogens in person so I stupidly assumed that the lights were what I specified: bi-xenons. It was only later that evening when I had more time and looked at the window sticker and really looked at the headlights did I see that I had unknowingly gotten halogens.

KIX

Passed Driver's Ed

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
For 2011, you have to opt for sunroof/nav package to get bi xenon's. You can no longer have one without the other from the factory.

Good luck on installing them.

truevo

Thank you. The dealer is going to get back with me tomorrow with the cost, which I expect to be HIGH. Maybe I can get the headlights, ballast & power module from KIX and the rest of the levelers etc. locally.

pure_lunatic

Ready to race!
Always good to fully understand the options structure for the model year you're purchasing.

I don't know why '11 is different than '10. The bundling of options makes it harder to get exactly what you want, however, it's also easier to compare apples to apples when looking for the best deal.

I also wanted the Bi-Xenons but it wasn't worth paying for the Nav also imo.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The factory nav is actually pretty damn good, imho.

jedredgti

Passed Driver's Ed
2X to that Gunkata. I have had Acura Navs, Mazda Navs, and been exposed to the Lexus Navs (Parents vehicle). The GTI one is easiest to use and much more accurate.