GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Info on the New MK7 Golf R (300hp)

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Considering the units cost $700-$1K, etc, I am assuming its based on cost savings by VW/VAG.

My theory on this, as has been put out there by modshack re:Oil Temp/Boost Guages in the Beetle but not the GTI/R, is that including the switchable feature would lead to more questions/headaches for the dealers and VW so they chose to keep it simple.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
The MK6 was a remodeled MK5 due to the same platform sharing of the PQ35 base.

The Mk7 is all new based on the modular MQB. NOT a remodeled MK6.

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier in this thread

Oh god yes.

The Mk7 R looks phenomenal in white. And those wheels. They sure do look perty.

I love those thin spoke wheels. best looking wheels VW has done. I would also like to get a set of the wheels on the Polo WRC edition car (not the actual wrc rally car)

Rockstar

Passed Driver's Ed
careful... folks round these parts are going to start questioning your manhood if you even talk about how much a car costs. you're only a true enthusiast if you are willing to pay $40000 for a Golf. that means you're serious. my GTI was 22.5k, had less than 10k miles on it CPO when i bought it. sunroof/convenience pkg, rubber mats, etc. even 30k for a GTI seems silly to me. im guilty of mexico uncertainty as well.. its probably unfounded but i have prejudices from music gear: guitars, etc.. never as good from mexico as from the US.

ive said it once and ill say it again, this makes me feel like BMW et al are a fucking scam. Its a BMW. it should come with that shit standard. its absurd all that stuff are part of these silly option packages.. thats why all you have to do is wait like a year and start combing the early lease returns. buy a new 3 for 50k with all the goodies or wait 12-18 months for one to pop up on the dealer lot, CPO, with 12k miles on it for $37.5. happens all the time.

Wasn't the mk iv gti made in Mexico? I believe Mine was. And it had gobs of issues. Straight out of the gate. Mostly little gremlins.

I also wouldn't be interested in buying a first or probably second year VW new model. So I guess I'm good to go for a few years if I want to keep my r.

I had an smg e46 m3 before the gti then r, I prefer the r for many reasons

By the time I get my next car, I'd probably be ready to go back to paddles. The smg was just an awful implementation. The vag tranny is much better, however I agree with other posters who think it's boring. It's better for numbers,number to drive.

I'm not sold on the looks. But I didn't care for the mk v either.

I also don't know about VW quality these days. Didn't have any probs wih the gti, but I telecommute and don't rack up miles. Extended warranty I suppose for the r.

ides1056

Ready to race!
Probably already been posted: at my last oil change, service dept head told me VW rep had been in day before, and told him next R will be 320 hp and more expensive. FWIW.

TDI110

O_o
FWD bias probably helps with fuel economy too.

Probably does, but one doesn't buy an R for fuel economy.

The new R is kinda pricey. It's up on VW's German site in configuration and I had a go with it. DSG, NAV, adjustable suspension, light and vision, 4 door, thin spoked wheels and one or two other options and I'm almost tipping 50k euro! Mine with the same options, sans wheels, was 43.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Frankfurt today:

Golf-R and GTD. They are really nice. The new R is fantastic. Tough call between that and the Audi S3 sedan. My woman and I want BOTH :) Its almost a coin toss between them. Most likely I keep my MK6 and get the S3 or R. Test drives will be interesting when I can get them.

Attachments

• NewRwhite IAA.jpg
    NewRwhite IAA.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 182
  • NewGTD IAA.jpg
    NewGTD IAA.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 183