GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Build-up at 26K Miles

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Any pics about the can installed? I'm really interesting in doing it...pls instructions....thx

They dont work and its been proven. Drive your car out of traffic and get the motor fully warm. The patent from Audi shows 20min above 3000rpm will slow or negate the build up of this. Easier said than done depending on lifestyle.

Beyond that save some money for a cleaning at some point if you plan long term ownership with the GTi. Not having a fuel on the valves is the main cause of carbon build up. Cars with port injection with fuel washing the valves have very little buildup issues. Its a simple function of the injection design.

Its a bit less of a problem here with the speeds one can maintain normally on the Autobahn. Revs are good :)

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I know Abalinka mentioned an EGR delete earlier in this thread, too...

On the FSI in the R, yes, that can be done.

The TSI accomplishes EGR via valve overlap. I'm no scientist, but I think it's safe to say that's not a good thing for carbon buildup.

p4kk0

Passed Driver's Ed

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Unless I read that patent wrong it isn't just RPMs that you need to clear the carbon, you need RPMs and heat. Just cruising on the freeway at 4500 RPMs isn't likely to do it, if you're not adding much fuel and air to the fire the increased combustion frequency probably won't get the big temperature numbers you need.

I have just under 70k miles on my car and it has lost zero performance. It still pulls a happy 30-31 MPG at 70 mph and spins the tires at part throttle in second gear.... and it's stock. I'm guessing it's because I occasionally run off to the mountains and spend hours with my foot on the floor pushing the car to redline for hours at a time.

To put it bluntly.... add a track day to your regular maintenance schedule and you'll probably have no issues.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Unless I read that patent wrong it isn't just RPMs that you need to clear the carbon, you need RPMs and heat. Just cruising on the freeway at 4500 RPMs isn't likely to do it, if you're not adding much fuel and air to the fire the increased combustion frequency probably won't get the big temperature numbers you need.

I have just under 70k miles on my car and it has lost zero performance. It still pulls a happy 30-31 MPG at 70 mph and spins the tires at part throttle in second gear.... and it's stock. I'm guessing it's because I occasionally run off to the mountains and spend hours with my foot on the floor pushing the car to redline for hours at a time.

To put it bluntly.... add a track day to your regular maintenance schedule and you'll probably have no issues.

According to my dealer here, they dont see a huge problem in the area where I am. They service many GTi's and my service advisor has 1. 160kph or more on the Autobahn with a warm motor is a good thing according to them :)

Who knows really-- build up is almost motor specific depending on driving style to begin with.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
According to my dealer here, they dont see a huge problem in the area where I am. They service many GTi's and my service advisor has 1. 160kph or more on the Autobahn with a warm motor is a good thing according to them :)

Who knows really-- build up is almost motor specific depending on driving style to begin with.

Color me jealous. I wish I could take a 20-30 minute run down the interstate at full tilt. :(

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
I drive all the time with low RPM, that's probably bad.

ina12K04gti

Ready to race!
The more I read about issues like this & others, the more I think about keeping this car out of warranty would be a foolish mistake. Even under warranty there are no quarantees.

cstrasz

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping an old thread but I thought I'd chime in as well. I have a 2011 GTI and it just got to 36K miles. Check Engine light came on and it turned out to be an Engine Misfire and that they would have to clean it due to carbon buildup (which they quoted as 800). Was pissed that it wasn't covered under warranty. Have had every engine maintenance done, all oil changes, and only use premium fuel. Do not drive it that aggressively either.

I ended up telling them I'll just pick up the car and they said they'd try to have VW pick up the tab for the labor, but that the cleaning would still be 270. I still called VW corporate and put in a complaint and the district case manager called me today. They said they'd cover 50% of my out of pocket costs, so the 270 is now 135. Much better but I'm pretty irritated that this isn't covered under warranty and that I was told 'there's pretty much nothing you could do to prevent this.'

I guess I should expect to deal with this in another 35K miles, if I don't sell it by then. Definitely not feeling the VW love at the moment.

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
I guess I should expect to deal with this in another 35K miles, if I don't sell it by then. Definitely not feeling the VW love at the moment.

went 115k without doing carbon cleaning, no CEL.

was dirty though when i finally had it cracked open to clean.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Bumping an old thread but I thought I'd chime in as well. I have a 2011 GTI and it just got to 36K miles. Check Engine light came on and it turned out to be an Engine Misfire and that they would have to clean it due to carbon buildup (which they quoted as 800). Was pissed that it wasn't covered under warranty. Have had every engine maintenance done, all oil changes, and only use premium fuel. Do not drive it that aggressively either.

I ended up telling them I'll just pick up the car and they said they'd try to have VW pick up the tab for the labor, but that the cleaning would still be 270. I still called VW corporate and put in a complaint and the district case manager called me today. They said they'd cover 50% of my out of pocket costs, so the 270 is now 135. Much better but I'm pretty irritated that this isn't covered under warranty and that I was told 'there's pretty much nothing you could do to prevent this.'

Sorry to hear this. Drive it with a few more revs and on occasion get out of town and run it a bit. That will help but we are all facing this no matter.

cstrasz

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to hear this. Drive it with a few more revs and on occasion get out of town and run it a bit. That will help but we are all facing this no matter.

Thanks for the info. So driving it more aggressively here and there helps with this?

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info. So driving it more aggressively here and there helps with this?

Higher revs for a given period of say about 20 min above 3k rpm does seem to help per the Audi/VW patent submissions. Driving with a few more revs will slow the buildup. Instead of luggin around in 6th downshift and get the revs up in 5th on the freeway for a while. With your build up at such low useage/mileage you must be doing alot stop/go city driving. Let the machine run sometime!

Also read the Carbon builup 101 here for some good data/education on this topic. Crack a bier and read awhile!

Bcastine

Passed Driver's Ed
If you frequently drive short trips my guess is your going to have carbon build up problems. Original poster claimed his commute is less than 10 minutes each way. Short trips are the worst thing you can do to an engine. Engine runs rich, low EGT's oil probably doesn't even reach half its operating temp. The oil suffers from fuel dilution, doesn't get hot enough to burn it off. The oils additive pack is beaten up and its flash point greatly decreased. Then throw in the pcv operating under a vacuum condition dumping your condensed water/fuel laden oil vapor directly into your intake manifold and you get oil caked to your intake valves. That kind of schedule should have an OCI of 3K max miles. All direct injected engines suffer somewhat from fuel dilution as they never truly run in lean burn mode like their european counter parts due to our less then steller fuel quality, beaten oil additive pack, to long on OCI and you get carbon. So fuel is likely an indirect cause of carbon build up. Longer drives will certainly stretch your oil change interval though.
Since my Supra Turbo days i've been an Irving gas fan boy, its just noticeably better then Shell, Mobil etc. Its so much better that I can tell when my wife gets lazy and fills me up with shell. I have read, I believe on Bobistheoilguy that Irving is as close as a european fuel that you can get, its Canadian, so it must be good right? haha. I concur. My car gets at least 2mpg better then shell running irving. Means it runs leaner with a hotter burn, so less carbon. I also don't suffer from fuel dilution in my sump. My Supra pulled so much less timing with Irving 93 then it did with Shell 93 that it was laughable. Problem is you can only get Irving in the NorthEast. Its the only fuel I'll put into my cars.

^^^^ truth!

short trips, nannying the motor, never getting the motor nice and hot = oil gum on your valves.

Your GTI begs to be driven long and hard .... do it.... for it's longevity.