GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Do you think the car will be more comfortable over bumps/dips in the road at a higher height on coilovers (stiffer spring rate, adjustable dampening, closer to stock height)?

Yes

Bozz

Go Kart Champion
You can also buy the tools (Toe plates $60) and a digital camber gauge ($100-200) and do your own for the rest of your life. I made that investment 10 years ago and theyve paid for themselves dozens of times over..

I have done a lot of my own maintenance over the years, but I've never done a "real" alignment using proper tools.

I'd like to learn how to do that...in your opin what is the best way/method to learn how to do this? I'd buy the tools you mention, and probably spend the next 2 days trying to figure out how to use them...

theburningclutch

Ready to race!
I try to get an alignment yearly.

Our cars tend to let the front subframes walk around. Drive the car for a while and you can feel something change in the handling at some point. My car recently did this, I can feel the change. It was aligned 3 months ago by the dealer, and its already out of alignment and knocking around turns. Good 'ol front subframe mounting bolts not doing their job.

I've heard that there is a bolt/shim kit for this, but haven't heard if it works at all.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I have done a lot of my own maintenance over the years, but I've never done a "real" alignment using proper tools.

I'd like to learn how to do that...in your opin what is the best way/method to learn how to do this? I'd buy the tools you mention, and probably spend the next 2 days trying to figure out how to use them...

I remember modshack posted about this a while ago...

Steve -- do you recall where you posted up about this? Didn't you do your own adjustments to camber and toe and then get it checked by a shop? How accurate were you?

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion

I'd do a google search on DIY alignments...Lots out there on this. It's not hard. Toe is Cake, Camber a little more involved.

I got all my tools from http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

Longacre Toe plates:

Smartracing Digital Camber gauge:

You can make your own up cheap with a digital level and some metal stock.
Camber needs to be measured on a flat surface. Nice thing about the smartcamber is you can zero it to any angle in your garage so you can get accurate measurements even on an uneven base...

Heck, you can even get a Level gauge app for your smartphone...A piece of stock to span the tire and you're set!

Last edited:

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I've heard that there is a bolt/shim kit for this, but haven't heard if it works at all.

It works. Eliminates your ability to center the camber on the front though. So if its off once you install the shims, its going to stay off until you remove the shims.

fchowd0311

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm going to be honest. I know crap about alignments. I replaced some control arm bushings with the Whiteline anti lift kit. The kit states that it adds 0.5 deg static positive caster. Do I need to inform the shop that does my alignment about this? Do they need to do anything different than a regular stock alignment?

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
That's cause they pay the kids that do them $8/hr....

Chances are if the alignment is anywhere in the Green they'll go out for a smoke break and say everything is fine.
If you want a real alignment, seek out the guy(s) in your area that do performance alignments on higher end cars. They can put your spec right in the middle of the green or anywhere you specify..

Firestone is not the place if you want someone to spend some time on your car and do it right..

You can also buy the tools (Toe plates $60) and a digital camber gauge ($100-200) and do your own for the rest of your life. I made that investment 10 years ago and theyve paid for themselves dozens of times over..

Modshack, that's cool! I didn't know you can buy relatively cheap equipment. Do you have any links to buy these?

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Modshack, that's cool! I didn't know you can buy relatively cheap equipment. Do you have any links to buy these?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com

Longacre Toe Plates (around $60):

Smart Camber Gauge ($200+). You can also make an affordable one up with a digital level and a piece of aluminum stock to span the tires. Figure $30-$100, or use the digital level app. for your smartphone for free). Car MUST be level or the angle it is off must be compensated for. The advantage af something like the Smartcamber is you can zero it in on any Garage/driveway angle and get an accurate reading. Makes this one particularly good for set-ups at the track where an absolutely flat surfave may not be available.

FeX141

Thanks for the info Modshack! That equipment looks pretty decent. I wonder how "level" the car has to be.

danrazzaqi

Ready to race!
That's cause they pay the kids that do them $8/hr....

Chances are if the alignment is anywhere in the Green they'll go out for a smoke break and say everything is fine.
If you want a real alignment, seek out the guy(s) in your area that do performance alignments on higher end cars. They can put your spec right in the middle of the green or anywhere you specify..

Firestone is not the place if you want someone to spend some time on your car and do it right..

+1 on this. I took my dads Panamera yesterday to a firestone and they flat out told me they don't have the machines or the technicians to align this sort of car. Took it to a small local shop and the tech told me im lucky i brought the car here because most places will just get it into the green and call it a day. He even let me hang around inside the shop and showed me how to adjust the toe/camber etc.

Moral of the story... Stay away from firestone?

McQueen77

Banned
every 5k when i rotate my tires. dealer does a better job vs. the tire places ive been, and they are usually running some special where its like $70