GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo stage 2 vs Tesla model S

Emireitor

Ready to race!
So I recently installed a Borla catback exhaust and lowered the car. Everybody wants to race me now, including this dude in a tesla. I've seen these things beat a new M5 in a short sprint so I knew I was getting destroyed but what the hell, I went for it anyway.

Had a few seconds to get my phone ready and even though there were no 3 honks etc, HELLO INSTANT TORQUE, HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? this things just take off like a rocket. It was a very short one but you get the idea.

Honestly, what really got me was getting beat by this car that produces NO SOUND at all, it was unreal to say the least. THE END.

Appogee

Ready to race!
It is a bit nerve racking to be beat by a sedan Prius, haha. Those things are fast though, I think they have 0-60s ranging from 5.9 to 4.2. CRAZY! At least your car sounds better than his though haha.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Speaking directly about the 2013 version, I'm sure the performance model with 416hp should easily beat us from a roll, but why wouldn't we be able to at least keep up with the non performance 362hp version? The 2013 models weigh 4,650lbs, and the 362hp version runs the 1/4 in 13.7, we should be able to keep up with that stage 2, or am I wrong?

Curious about this :)

Edit: They seem to be really explosive off the line, but appear to drop off quite a bit after the 1/8 mile mark.

1/4 Mile ET: 12.378 1/4 Mile MPH: 110.320 1/8 Mile ET: 7.985 1/8 Mile MPH: 90.080 0-60 Foot ET: 1.973
http://www.dragtimes.com/Tesla-Model-S-Timeslip-26199.html
Time slip is there as well, so those should be pretty accurate numbers. 90mph by the 1/8, but then takes the rest of the 1/4 to get to 110. Obviously fast cars from a dig, but we should hang from a 40 or 60 roll, at least with the non performance model.

Edit2: Found a non performance 85 model with timeslip.
1/4 Mile ET: 13.478 1/4 Mile MPH: 104.090 1/8 Mile ET: 8.842 1/8 Mile MPH: 86.190 0-60 Foot ET: 2.276
http://www.dragtimes.com/Tesla-Model-S-Timeslip-25276.html

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Tnsta-torque really hurts us off the line/honk. Going from a NA engine to an electric motor is like the jump from a turbo engine to NA. It really changes your perspective on throttle response. From turbo -> electric motor, the difference in response is epic. They'll jump a car off the honk just because of the torque response. Which we see clearly in the OP's vid.

They also have full torque constantly throughout the rev band (at least in the region we'd be racing). We on the other hand don't have that advantage; torque is falling off as RPM's rise (at least in upper RPMs) or building up to max torque.

The common hp/torque stats are pretty meaningless unless you apply them to time/transients, gearing, etc.