GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Trade in: DSG Autobahn for 6MT Autobahn

220volt

Ready to race!
I want to trade in my 2013 DSG Autobahn (in impeccable condition) for similar Autobahn with 6MT. So I went to Carmax and I did find car very similar to mine, and here's the deal they offered.

My car:
MK6 2013 Gray Autobahn with DSG (2 door)
Mileage: Little over 10k (only 1 owner, myself)
Trade in offered for my car: $22,300

Their car:
MK6 2014 Black Autobahn with 6MT (4 door)
Mileage 12k (dealer owned, no owners)
Price: $25,000

Not a good deal in my opinion so I declined it. I mean, my car has less miles plus the DSG (extra $1,100). So the spread should not be that large. I understand they have to make money but I still don't think it is a good deal. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
yeah.. wow, that trade-in is rough. Autobahns lose a lot of value over the first 1-2 years because they cost so much to begin with.

220volt

Ready to race!
yeah.. wow, that trade-in is rough. Autobahns lose a lot of value over the first 1-2 years because they cost so much to begin with.

Yeah, they offered $21,000 to buy it outright. Even the dealer said yeah that might not be much, but it is out of my hands lol.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
what is your payoff? considered selling privately? I'd ask for more off their car - will they include an extended warranty at that price?

220volt

Ready to race!
what is your payoff? considered selling privately? I'd ask for more off their car - will they include an extended warranty at that price?

No I agree, I will definitely go private route.
The only warranty they offered was what is left on the factory. It is a Carmax so I am not sure if I can haggle for the price. I did tell them to let me know if car goes down in price.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
when i was at the dealership getting my mk6 serviced (which was autobahn 2-door manual), one of the salesmen told me that 2-door manual autobahn's are rare, not sure if i can call it BS, cause that happened when mk7 was right around the corner so clearly he's trying to get me a new one.

cevil203

Ready to race!
i'd be curious about doing something similar. Do people do this type of trade in? Are dealers reluctant? I'm actually the opposite, have a 4 dr 2013 autobahn (manual) with 27k and would like to go DSG

zrickety

The Fixer
Dealers have to make money. They will gladly do this kind of trade, but don't expect an even swap.

220volt

Ready to race!
i'd be curious about doing something similar. Do people do this type of trade in? Are dealers reluctant? I'm actually the opposite, have a 4 dr 2013 autobahn (manual) with 27k and would like to go DSG

Ohh yeah. As long as they make money.

Damn, if yours had little less miles and no modes, we could just swap. Mine is also UMG :)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Also, there is no such thing as a 2014 Autobahn. It's probably a "Driver's Edition" - which does NOT come with the upgraded Dynaudio sound system.

220volt

Ready to race!
Also, there is no such thing as a 2014 Autobahn. It's probably a "Driver's Edition" - which does NOT come with the upgraded Dynaudio sound system.

True, but it comes with Fender premium speakers which is on par or even upgrade to Dynaudio :)

True, but it comes with Fender premium speakers which is on par or even upgrade to Dynaudio :)

logged back into this site after a year just for this reply.

You're kidding... surely surely you must... The Fender speakers are PANASONIC speakers and are not on par with Dynaudio components in any way.

Perhaps the heavy bass inherent in a fender-equipped VW lulls you into mistaking audio quality/ separation with ... loudness.

Also... Drivers Edition GTI's did not come with any upgraded stereo as I recall.. AS if Panasonic stereos are an upgrade anyway.

DEs came with red stripes on their seatbelts though. woop.

220volt

Ready to race!
logged back into this site after a year just for this reply.

You're kidding... surely surely you must... The Fender speakers are PANASONIC speakers and are not on par with Dynaudio components in any way.

Perhaps the heavy bass inherent in a fender-equipped VW lulls you into mistaking audio quality/ separation with ... loudness.

Also... Drivers Edition GTI's did not come with any upgraded stereo as I recall.. AS if Panasonic stereos are an upgrade anyway.

DEs came with red stripes on their seatbelts though. woop.

I don't have any direct experience with Fender audio, I am just gong what dealer told me, and what I've read on forums. Lot fo them like Fender better. But that could be because of more pronounced bass and volume as you said. I also like balance and clarity.

I don't have any direct experience with Fender audio, I am just gong what dealer told me, and what I've read on forums. Lot fo them like Fender better. But that could be because of more pronounced bass and volume as you said. I also like balance and clarity.

ah, those pesky dealer people.

Count yourself fortunate to have a car with dynaudio components.

The fender system is very middle of the road.... oriented for the masses, and the masses apparently want deeper bass at the expense of clarity in the upper registers.

Much has been made on these forums about how much fiddling we have to do in order to get the dynaudio to perform its best for most all sources. Once set, it blows all other under $35k oem car stereos out of the water in regards clarity and mid-volume depth.

After 3 years of fiddling, I think I have my settings set:

+1 on the mids
-2 on the Treb
+6 on the Bass...

crazyyyyyyyy...but sounds glorious when playing ol Getz or Montgomery jazz classics.

TakmaN

Ready to race!
I'm not 100% sure but I recall there being a website for people wanting to trade cars. Or it could have just been a dream for a business venture I had.

In any case, I wouldn't expect any decent deal for trading cars with any type of dealer. They're in the business to make money which means ripping you off generally. Your best bet would be to sell your car and go on the hunt for a manual version.

I find CarMax prices to be a decent amount higher than market values on the second-hand market but people are willing to pay the premium for the easy purchase without hassle of dealing with a private party. Not worth the premium to me but for many others that just want a car without the hassle, it works.