GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
I've heard Vf doesn't make those manifolds any longer and there was all together less than 10 made.

this is truth. Asked them over a year ago and ended up going with the CTS manifold

NINJA EDIT: Just saw someone selling a VF manifold on mkv volkswagen fb group for $200

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
The only issue with ATP is their manifold which flows like crap.

Btw, were you at Cabelas in East Hartford last night? Saw a CSG GTI that was lowered and had very similar mods to your mod list lol

He sold that kit a while ago, that car is stage 1 now...

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!

Just a quick note, I think it's worth noting that LOBA Motorsports makes several different turbochargers for the Gen 1 TSI. There's the LOCO-04 which is a basic K04 with some slight modifications to it, the LO400 which has their own custom wheel and more (that's probably the one that wndwsdwngti860 had).

And then there's the 4XX, which is in its own high-powered world. There are a few tuners in Europe that have been able to get over 450 WHP out of the 4XX on the FSI (there are only a handful of TSI owners due to a late release to market of the TSI version). The high power output is possible because the turbo is half K04 and half K16 (which is custom machined and includes a custom compressor wheel complete and an all new bearing system), which gives it much more potential than your average K04. You might remember the K16 from cars such as the TTRS, European RS3 or the 996 generation 911 Turbo. LOBA has also extensively modified just about every single component on the 4XX. Due to the potential of the 4XX, it can be directly compared to a big turbo setup, and would also require rods.

If anyone is looking to get a LOBA Motorsport turbocharger, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll go back into lurk mode now...

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Just a quick note, I think it's worth noting that LOBA Motorsports makes several different turbochargers for the Gen 1 TSI. There's the LOCO-04 which is a basic K04 with some slight modifications to it, the LO400 which has their own custom wheel and more (that's probably the one that wndwsdwngti860 had).

And then there's the 4XX, which is in its own high-powered world. There are a few tuners in Europe that have been able to get over 450 WHP out of the 4XX on the FSI (there are only a handful of TSI owners due to a late release to market of the TSI version). The high power output is possible because the turbo is half K04 and half K16 (which is custom machined and includes a custom compressor wheel complete and an all new bearing system), which gives it much more potential than your average K04. You might remember the K16 from cars such as the TTRS, European RS3 or the 996 generation 911 Turbo. LOBA has also extensively modified just about every single component on the 4XX. Due to the potential of the 4XX, it can be directly compared to a big turbo setup, and would also require rods.

If anyone is looking to get a LOBA Motorsport turbocharger, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'll go back into lurk mode now...

Hybrids.....meh

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I mean, if it makes the same power output (i'm referring to the LO4XX) or more, what's so meh about it? Mostly just curious to know what your thoughts are.

Repeatability. Good for a few rice rocket pulls before EGT’s get high. K04’s overheat at the track. Can’t imagine hybrids doing much better with the same volume manifold.

a3scott20

Ready to race!
information about LO4XX, got it from LOBA GmbH directly before.

LOBA LO4XX_??_1.jpg

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
The LO400 caught my eye. Is there a vendor state side where we can purchase them from?

FriggenT1

Banned
I mean, if it makes the same power output (i'm referring to the LO4XX) or more, what's so meh about it? Mostly just curious to know what your thoughts are.

It's not... some just have either never had them, or don't like that their 5k plus kits can be beaten by a k04 frame turbo.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
Repeatability. Good for a few rice rocket pulls before EGT’s get high. K04’s overheat at the track. Can’t imagine hybrids doing much better with the same volume manifold.

I get where you're coming from. Most of the TTE turbos and the LO400 to an extent will fall into this territory. But the LO4XX is an entirely different beast that is over-engineered to avoid these issues.

FYI, I attend a loooooooot of track days and I don't see K04s overheating. If anything they are more reliable than most of the Stage 3/3+ equipped cars. If you're talking about 1/4 mile, I do see a few overheating after several repeated pulls without a chance to cooldown.

The LO400 caught my eye. Is there a vendor state side where we can purchase them from?

Lemme check and see what I can do pricing-wise on one for you.

Iirc, their prices are up there, I don't recall how much now, but I thought I recalled it being even more than TTE.

The LOBA turbos are generally more expensive than the "equivalent" TTE turbo, yes. However, the TTE turbos tend to under-perform. I think the big problem is the naming convention that TTE uses, people see TTE420 and are going to expect it to hit 420 HP, but they don't always.

It's not... some just have either never had them, or don't like that their 5k plus kits can be beaten by a k04 frame turbo.

I might just have to buy a LO4XX and see what I can make power-wise. It's just so much more turbo than I need for track days, haha. I'm torn because I am at that point where I have the drivetrain and engine setup to handle the power, but I feel my coilovers are limiting me and would rather devote a few thousand bucks toward getting a track oriented coilover setup. Of course, tax refunds are right around the corner...