GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
in terms of heat protecting i did both. ceramic coat turbine housing and down pipe AND heat wrap manifold, downpipe AND heat blanket

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I am going to cerakote it myself. I have access to a "paint booth", but as far as the blanket goes, I don't know whether to order the one for the Subaru gt30 or the generic t3, t3/t4, or t25. I have read elsewhere that other platforms use the t3 blanket but I just want to make sure its the same for us. I did call them on Friday and left a message. I am hoping they will return my call tomorrow. If not I will hit them up again. Anyone else know for sure? Thanks for the help guys.

The manifold is a T25 if that helps your decision.

I had Arnold's "vendor" do a cam cover for me 2 months later and it's been crickets...still waiting. Had I known it was going to be that much of a headache I would've told him forget it.

LOL...

ZiggyMKVI

Ready to race!
in terms of heat protecting i did both. ceramic coat turbine housing and down pipe AND heat wrap manifold, downpipe AND heat blanket

Wow impressive job. How long did that manifold take to wrap?

zef

Drag Racing Champion

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I had Arnold's "vendor" do a cam cover for me 2 months later and it's been crickets...still waiting. Had I known it was going to be that much of a headache I would've told him forget it.

Arnold sent your parts out for powder coating or you just used the same shop they do?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Arnold sent your parts out for powder coating or you just used the same shop they do?

He sent it out himself. I get that the dude is busy and has bigger fish to fry so I cut him a lot of slack, but when I asked him before I mailed it over it sounded like it was going to be a quick turnaround. I guess my part is part of a larger batch

The spare engine is still apart anyway so it's not like I am waiting solely on him so it's no big deal.

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Picked up the car, total bill for modifying and installing new turbo, intercooler, DV relocation kit etc etc was about $250. Flashed the new tune but need to drive about 40 miles for the MAF calibration and then do some logging from there.

Car bogged down into a limp mode of sorts after I revved it to 4k with light throttle... scanned the code with the Cobb AP and it came up with a p0606 code. Mechanic re-tightened some of the new DV relocation pipe work and then cleared the code and has been all fine since. Will wait till I get to 40 miles of slow driving and log a light throttle run before doing anything more serious. After this Stratified can make some adjustments and hopefully this will sort it out.

First impression are the boost and torque still come on very strong very early. No lag at all. If it makes 380-400whp with response like this I’d be very happy.

mars2

Ready to race!
Hi Madhav could you tell me who is the shop that modified your K04.
I'm very often in Thailand for my work. About 8 time per year.

Did they implement the dump valve in the cold side core?like on APR K04 or Loba Loco

cybonic

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, just one question, intend to upgrade to a gtx29, is the cts manifold the only off the shelf option?

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Madhav could you tell me who is the shop that modified your K04.
I'm very often in Thailand for my work. About 8 time per year.

Did they implement the dump valve in the cold side core?like on APR K04 or Loba Loco

The work they did on the K04 was very simple, as explained on the previous page. Just basically cutting and welding a pipe. Anyone can do it. For the DV valve, it wasn’t integrated so had to relocate it, I just used a Unitronic relocation kit. I watched them fit it in about 30 min.

The shop is in Surat Thani in the south, but I personally would not recommend this shop as they are not so familiar with custom stuff and are better with basic service requirements and fitting stock parts.

I have used other people to do custom work on my old car (A31 céfiro with 2JZ single turbo) and they were amazing and did awesome work for very good prices. The Thai people have retrofitted the 2JZ into so many cars here. However for import cars Euro cars like the VW golf fitted with the 2.0 TSI engine, it’s a bit harder to find people who are experienced and will modify. I have found a few shops that do it, but only around bangkok (8hrs drive from me) and none in the south.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Hi guys, just one question, intend to upgrade to a gtx29, is the cts manifold the only off the shelf option?
I'm currently researching building my my own turbo kit with a gtx29 and atp sells the turbo and manifold as one piece and they also sell just manifolds but it depends on what mount type the turbine housing has. I think they only sell t3 and t25 manifolds.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

cybonic

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm currently researching building my my own turbo kit with a gtx29 and atp sells the turbo and manifold as one piece and they also sell just manifolds but it depends on what mount type the turbine housing has. I think they only sell t3 and t25 manifolds.

Yup. But was hearing that the atp manifold doesn't cut it. And tubular is not a option for me. The authorities are hard on such mods. So long I can keep the stock heatshield

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yup. But was hearing that the atp manifold doesn't cut it
I think another option may be a custom tubular manifold but that's [emoji383][emoji383][emoji383]. What about the atp manifold doesn't cut it? I remember reading some stuff about them being sub par but I wasn't sure why.