GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Extreme newbie gas cap/door question

Norvix

“You’re really going to pay to have this fixed?”

It could just be a loose wire in the actuator plug, although rare it isn’t unheard of for a wire to not be seated properly in the plug and have worked loose enough not to make contact! Or it could be working and not be aligned properly so as to fire the pin out of the hole correctly, I’ve never known them to fail so it’s worth taking a look,

“But really? It’s a feature not found on most other vehicles”

I’ve owned many different cars over the many years I’ve been driving and all had a locking cap of some description! Be that a door that locks with a key or with the central locking or simply a key in the screw cap, either way they all locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everything else in your post, although many cars do come with some kind of locking mechanism, I’m positive some vehicles do not such as the 2012 GMC Sierra I use occasionally at work.

Back to the OP though, I agree little flaws such as this would irk me and I would also want to get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Related but different aspect of the gas cap, has anyone else had their gas door break away from the hinge mechanism? Happened to me, the door tore off right where it meets hinge arm. Fortunately, some good ol' epoxy fixed it up stronger than new. The fracture line was rough enough to be a perfect mating surface.

Always happy when I can repair the broken part rather than just replace it.