GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emissions fail

jedred1

jedred1
I have APR stage 2 with APR down pipe and CTS cat back. Last year I passed Emissions just fine and I swar I did it this way: I used OBDII app to clear any CEL's that might be lurking (I haven't had any as of late FYI). Also, for good measure, I used the APR FAULT CODE ERASE / THROTTLE BODY ALIGNMENT function.

Well I think I screwed myself because I FAILED (Incomplete) on 4 things
1. Catalyst (I am missing one so expected)
2. Evap sys
3. secondary air system
4. O2 sensor

In Utah we are aloud to fail on one count. The tech asked me if I had recently replaced my battery which I did about 6 months ago. I had no idea that fault code erase would make the ECU learn all over again.

Main question now is what can I do about it? The tech told me to go drive my car for about 100 mi so it can relearn then cone back in.

kennega

Ready to race!
The system has to test readiness on all systems so if you clear the codes then go to inspection, it'll likely fail. Drive it for 20-30 miles, wait for readiness checks to pass (check in VCDS) and then take it back.

Grannycar

Ready to race!
Your car did not "fail" it is just not ready for testing. The inspector cannot count that as a failed test as it simply states it on a VIR "vehicle inspection report" not ready for testing.
Any time you disconnect your battery, clear a fault code it will erase the pcm monitors and they have to be set for obd2 cars. Which is typically 50-100 miles with two drive cycles in there to get them set again

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
If you had any lurking codes and cleared them right before emissions that would throw your readiness off. After clearing anything you need to drive around 50-100 miles to reset your monitors.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have APR stage 2 with APR down pipe and CTS cat back. Last year I passed Emissions just fine and I swar I did it this way: I used OBDII app to clear any CEL's that might be lurking (I haven't had any as of late FYI). Also, for good measure, I used the APR FAULT CODE ERASE / THROTTLE BODY ALIGNMENT function.

Well I think I screwed myself because I FAILED (Incomplete) on 4 things
2. Evap sys
3. secondary air system
4. O2 sensor

In Utah we are aloud to fail on one count. The tech asked me if I had recently replaced my battery which I did about 6 months ago. I had no idea that fault code erase would make the ECU learn all over again.

Main question now is what can I do about it? The tech told me to go drive my car for about 100 mi so it can relearn then cone back in.

If you have a VCDS cable - go in and clear all codes, then go to Engine module and run the "Readiness" routine (instead of having to drive), then go directly to smog test assuming everything comes up "ready". This is what I do. You can't force readiness but with this routine you can avoid the 200 miles of driving necessary to reset things after clearing codes.

jedred1

jedred1
Thank you all for your quick responses. I drove 50 mi today and yesterday and now only have two not ready

2. O2 sensor

So now I'm wondering, due to my set up mentioned in post 1, will the O2 sensor ever be "ready" with this set up?

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Thank you all for your quick responses. I drove 50 mi today and yesterday and now only have two not ready

2. O2 sensor

So now I'm wondering, due to my set up mentioned in post 1, will the O2 sensor ever be "ready" with this set up?

Drive a bit more, one of those should reset eventually. Did the smog tech actually attempt to smog your car without checking the monitors first?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie

2. O2 sensor

Do you have a spacer for the 02 sensor?

jedred1

jedred1
No I don't have a spacer. If I need it which would you suggest?

Last edited:

BlancpainGT3

Ready to race!
Certain tests need to be certain temperatures btw. Car has to do all these tests below. Goodluck sir. Mine was around 120 miles. Around here if its in cold months they allow 2 systems to fail as the evap test doesnt trigger till above freezing temps.

Readiness code description

Diagnostics are performed at regular intervals during normal vehicle operation. After repairing an emissions related system, a readiness code is generated by road testing the vehicle.

If a malfunction is recognized during the drive cycle, it will be stored in the DTC memory.

The OBD drive cycle operation will be monitored with a hand held diagnostic tool. Consult the manufacturer's instruction manual for correct tool operation.

The readiness code is erased every time the DTC memory is erased or any time the battery is disconnected. If the DTC memory has been erased or the battery is disconnected, a new readiness code must be generated.

Only erase the DTC memory if a DTC has been stored.

General recommendations

Most monitors will complete easier and quicker using a "steady-foot" and "smooth" acceleration during the drive cycle operation, cruise, and acceleration modes.

Operating conditions

For the EVAP monitor test, the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference between them no greater than 4°C. The ambient air temperature must not change more than 4°C during the drive cycle procedure (e.g. when driving out of a heated workshop in the winter).

Test requirements

¤Erase the DTC memory. ¤Coolant temperature must be between 80°C and 110°C. ¤The intake air temperature must be between 10°C and 35°C.¤Battery voltage must be a minimum of 12.5 volts.¤Fuel tank level 1/4 to 3/4 full.
Drive Cycle Procedure

• Connect the scan tool.
  • Switch the ignition on and start the vehicle.
  • Idle the vehicle for 2 - 3 minutes. This executes the O2S heater, misfire, secondary air injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Drive the vehicle at 45 - 55 mph for a continuous 7 - minute period - avoid stopping. This executes the evaporative, O2S, fuel trim, and misfire monitors.
  • Accelerate the vehicle to an engine speed of 5000 RPM; lift off the throttle until the engine speed is around 1200 rpm. This executes the fuel cut off.
  • Accelerate the vehicle smoothly to 60 - 65 mph, cruise constantly for 5 min. this executes the catalyst; O2S, misfire, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Decelerate and idle the vehicle again for 3 minutes. This executes the misfire, secondary sir injection, fuel trim, and purge system monitors.
  • Check the status of the readiness code.
¤Depending on the scan tool used. The readiness code status may be displayed as complete, passed or OK.
  • If any engine monitor fails the drive cycle test. Repeat the drive cycle test until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
¤When repeating the drive cycle operation for a failed evaporative or thermostat monitor, allow the engine to cool until the coolant temperature and the ambient air temperature are be between 10°C and 35°C with a difference no greater than 4°C and repeat the drive cycle operation.
If the drive cycle operation fails again.

• Check the DTC memory for stored DTCs.
Repair the vehicle if necessary.

• Repeat the drive cycle operation until all engine monitors have successfully run through and passed.
  • Remove the scan tool and switch the ignition off.

Andrew429

Ready to race!

2. O2 sensor

Stage 2 file disables those two monitors i believe, you have to put the car in stock, but i think you can have two monitors not ready and still pass, at least in NY (correct me if I'm wrong if its 1 or 2).

BlancpainGT3

Ready to race!
42dd spacer, leave it a few threads out

jedred1

jedred1
Stage 2 file disables those two monitors i believe, you have to put the car in stock, but i think you can have two monitors not ready and still pass, at least in NY (correct me if I'm wrong if its 1 or 2).

I had reset my ECU to stock profile but now I'm wondering what the test results would look like if I left it in my usual "Stage 2 91 octane profile". Would if turn off the two results left and hide them from the tester? I haven't had a CEL for quite awhile

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I had reset my ECU to stock profile but now I'm wondering what the test results would look like if I left it in my usual "Stage 2 91 octane profile". Would if turn off the two results left and hide them from the tester? I haven't had a CEL for quite awhile

They would just show as "Not ready" They arent codded out just disabled.