GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) MFD Display from Kerma TDI

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I am only providing my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed and tested in my own car.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Background:
After reading the Polar FIS Review by DarkGTI and seeing it person, I decided this may be a great investment for monitoring misfires, timing correction, peak M.A.F. values, battery voltage and various temperature readings with the use of water methanol. I got my unit from Kerma TDI who actually pre-loads the Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) unit with the latest software before sending it to the customer. Note to potential buyers, your trim level MUST have the steering wheel control buttons for this to work.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Product Description from Kerma TDI’s Website:
Want access to over 140 vehicle parameters? Polar FIS delivers real-time data to your VAG group FIS screen with a robust suite of features. Fits all VAG group with MFA(multi function Display) that includes gas and diesel.

Polar FIS Advance Parameters:
- Real speed (read from ECU)
- Oil temperature (°C / °F)
- Coolant temperature (°C / °F)
- Outdoor temperature (°C / °F)
- Ambient temperature (°C / °F)
- Turbo boost pressure (bar/ PSI)
- Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)
- RPM motor
- Voltage of the battery
- Fuel remaining (Litres / Gallons)
- Atmospheric pressure
- Pressure fuel pump
- Motor load
- Ambient Temperature (engine ECU)
- Coolant temperature engine output
- Coolant temperature leaving the radiator
- Mass air flow
- Atmospheric pressure
- Sensor 1 throttle pedal
- Sensor 2 throttle pedal
- Sensor 1 throttle valve
- Sensor 2 throttle valve
- Horse power used (CV)
- Oil level
- Minimum oil level
- Brake master cylinder pressure
- Pressure in the fuel rail
- Torque used NM
- Injection timing
- Injection quantity
- Injection angle
- Injection start
- TV Free function

Other Features include:
- Built in VIM to enable video on stereo screen while vehicle is in motion.
- POLAR Advanced FIS supports OEM Bluetooth and Fiscon Bluetooth, unlike other products, POLAR Advanced FIS does not use the Bluetooth menu in the FIS, but creates a new menu called Advanced POLAR FIS.
- The name of the created menu is customizable, which can substitute the name POLAR Advanced FIS by the text you want (up to 10 characters)
- Option to turn off the POLAR Advanced FIS screen off making the unit undetectable when taking the car in for service or repair. Is reactivated by simply pressing the OK button on the steering wheel or windshield wiper lever for 10 seconds.
- Automatic temperature units (° C, ° F), Speed (kmh / mph) and Size (Litres / Gallons) selected in the FIS.
- Manual selection of the units in which you want to display the parameters relating to pressure. Automatic, mbar, bar, PSI.
- Multi-function steering wheel / Wiper stalk control.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Unboxing:
Clean packaging with a quick start guide but no actual color photo installation guide.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Installation:
Installation is EXTREMELY straight forward. Luckily the LastHumansGarage: 2011 VW GTI: Episode 71 Vlog: Polar FIS+ Advanced PF03 Part 1 video covers installation from top to bottom. After the unit was installed, here is how I secured it under the dashboard.

The LastHumansGarage: 2011 VW GTI: Episode 72 Vlog: Polar FIS+ Advanced PF03 Part 2 video covers exactly how to set the proper units such as PSI, HP, Ft-lb., etc. and how to set the passenger side mirror to automatically rotate down when in reverse for curb parking assistance. To further help out with the menu choices, I found a Polar FIS Menu Flow Diagram thanks to Gigitt on the Auto-Polar forum which I will repost here.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Available Parameters:
The Auto-Polar forum, specifically the Polar FIS+ Advanced sub-section (under Forum -> Auto-Polar products -> Official product support (Hardware) -> Polar FIS+ Advanced) is a great place for questions, user manuals and troubleshooting. Within the forum there is a somewhat dated thread which provides a complete list of parameters and functions. Since this was published a while back, I contacted Kerma TDI to create my own list of complete descriptions for the available parameters I see (in order) with my Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) unit.

Mph = working, speed in miles per hour read from ECU, matches standard mph display on MFD
Out. F = working, outside temperature, duplicate of MFD outside temperature reading
RPM = working, speed in revolutions per minute
Batt. V. = working, battery voltage, helps monitor battery and alternator functions
Fuel Gal. = working, remaining fuel in gallons
Oil F = working, oil temperature, calculated
Amb F = working, ambient temperature, slightly less than the “Out. F” parameter or MFD outside temperature reading
Intake F = working, temps will rise when idling, will drop when driving, will drop further with water methanol
Coolant F = working, coolant temperature, assuming this is “Coolant - Temperature (G62)” block
Motor F = working, coolant temperature at engine outlet, assuming this is the “Engine Outlet - Temperature” block
Radiator F = working, coolant temperature at radiator outlet, assuming this is the “Radiator Outlet – Temperature” block
!Boost PSI = working, requested boost pressure
Boost PSI = working, actual boost pressure, changed to read in PSI
Atm. PSI = working, atmospheric pressure, changed to read in PSI
F. rail PSI = not accurate, actual fuel rail pressure, changed to read in PSI
!Load% = working, requested engine load %
Load% = working, actual engine load %
M.A.F. = working, mass air flow, changed it to read in g/s
Pedal 1 = working, accelerator pedal position, sensor 1 (G79)
Pedal 2 = working, accelerator pedal position, sensor 2 (G185)
Valve 1 = working, throttle valve position, sensor 1 (G187)
Valve 2 = working, throttle valve position, sensor 2 (G188)
Torq. Ft-lb = working, actual engine torque, changed it to read in Ft-lb
Power HP = working, engine power, changed it to read in HP
Inj. Tim. = working, injection timing
A. BTDC = working, ignition angle
Mis. = all cylinders misfire count
Mis. 1 = cylinder 1 misfire count
Mis. 2 = cylinder 2 misfire count
Mis. 3 = cylinder 3 misfire count
Mis. 4 = cylinder 4 misfire count
D. 1 KW = cylinder 1 timing correction
D. 2 KW = cylinder 2 timing correction
D. 3 KW = cylinder 3 timing correction
D. 4 KW = cylinder 4 timing correction
Exhaust F = does not work, exhaust gas temperature, stays static at 32 degrees
Lambda = working, air fuel ratio, changed it to read in AFR
N75 % = working, actual N75 duty cycle
Side G = untested, lateral G-Force
!F. rail PSI = not accurate, requested fuel rail pressure
Lambda I = working, lambda adaptation (Idle), assuming this is the “Fuel Trim Adaptation (Idle) Bank 1 Sensor 1” block
Lambda P = working, lambda adaptation (Partial), assuming this is the “Fuel Trim Adaptation (Partial) Bank 1 Sensor 1” block
!Torq. Ft-lb = untested, requested engine torque
T. red. = untested, torque reduction
Gen. load = untested, generator load

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Recommended Screens:
The Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) unit provides 5 screens, each with 4 parameters but it also allows the user to add additional screens up to 10 total screens for a total of 40 parameters. Below are the screens that I have created, even if some of the parameters are not working currently. After working with Kerma TDI and Auto Polar, they will look to fix “Exhaust F” in their next software release by redirecting it to block 112-3 for median “Exhaust Temp. Projection”. I have also asked if they can add “Instantaneous Fuel Trim (%)” for water methanol users along with “Fuel Pump Duty Cycle” in the upcoming software release.

Boost
Atm. PSI = working, atmospheric pressure, changed to read in PSI
!Boost PSI = working, requested boost pressure
Boost PSI = working, actual boost pressure, changed to read in PSI
N75 % = working, actual N75 duty cycle

E85
Lambda I = working, lambda adaptation (Idle), assuming this is the “Fuel Trim Adaptation (Idle) Bank 1 Sensor 1” block
Lambda P = working, lambda adaptation (Partial), assuming this is the “Fuel Trim Adaptation (Partial) Bank 1 Sensor 1” block

Engine Temps
Motor F = working, coolant temperature at engine outlet, assuming this is the “Engine Outlet - Temperature” block
Coolant F = working, coolant temperature, assuming this is “Coolant - Temperature (G62)” block
Radiator F = working, coolant temperature at radiator outlet, assuming this is the “Radiator Outlet – Temperature” block
Oil F = working, oil temperature, calculated

Intake / Exhaust
Intake F = working, temps will rise when idling, will drop when driving, will drop further with water methanol
Exhaust F = does not work, exhaust gas temperature, stays static at 32 degrees
M.A.F. = working, mass air flow, changed it to read in g/s

Misfires
Mis. 1 = cylinder 1 misfire count
Mis. 2 = cylinder 2 misfire count
Mis. 3 = cylinder 3 misfire count
Mis. 4 = cylinder 4 misfire count

Race Fuel / Water Methanol
D. 1 KW = cylinder 1 timing correction
D. 2 KW = cylinder 2 timing correction
D. 3 KW = cylinder 3 timing correction
D. 4 KW = cylinder 4 timing correction

Throttle
Pedal 1 = working, accelerator pedal position, sensor 1 (G79)
Valve 1 = working, throttle valve position, sensor 1 (G187)
Pedal 2 = working, accelerator pedal position, sensor 2 (G185)
Valve 2 = working, throttle valve position, sensor 2 (G188)

Timing / Fuel
A. BTDC = working, ignition angle
!F. rail PSI = not accurate, requested fuel rail pressure
F. rail PSI = not accurate, actual fuel rail pressure, changed to read in PSI

Other
Batt. V. = working, battery voltage, helps monitor battery and alternator functions
Amb F = working, ambient temperature, slightly less than the “Out. F” parameter or MFD outside temperature reading
!Load% = working, requested engine load %
Load% = working, actual engine load %
Mis. = all cylinders misfire count

Duplicate
Mph = working, speed in miles per hour read from ECU, duplicate of standard mph display on MFD
Out. F = working, outside temperature, duplicate of outside temperature reading on MFD
Fuel Gal. = working, remaining fuel in gallons, duplicate of remaining fuel in gallons on MFD
RPM = working, speed in revolutions per minute, duplicate of tachometer

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Interaction With ODB Port Options (APR Mobile, the P3 Digital Gauge or VagCom):
One of the main questions I see popping up is “will the Polar FIS work with the ODB port options such as APR Mobile, the P3 Digital Gauge or VagCom?”. Well, the answer is sort of. Being that the Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) is plugged in-line with the CAN-BUS harness, it will take priority over anything connected to the ODB port (all options listed above). Basically, if you are actively using APR Mobile, the P3 Digital Gauge or VagCom ODB port options and enter any of the Polar FIS screens during ODB port logging/data display, they will stop working accurately or will time out all together. In order to use these ODB port options the user would have to ensure they are not viewing any of the Polar FIS screens on the MFD (switch back to any the OEM screen options). With my APR mobile I’ve noticed that even leaving the Bluetooth dongle in the ODB port (app not open or running in background on a mobile device) causes some of the Polar FIS metrics to hang up or react slower. Example = my MAF reading was barely changing, removing the APR Mobile Bluetooth dongle instantly caused the MAF values to display correctly. Overall, as long as you are not in any of the Polar FIS screens, these ODB port options can be used but leaving the ODB port dongle or connection in place may affect the data sample rate. I can’t completely speak for the P3 digital gauge as I don’t own one but this is what I’ve gathered the same from other owners. For this review I have tested the APR Mobile Bluetooth dongle and my Ross-Tech VagCom Hex-Can cable.

Polar FIS+ Advanced (F03) Overall Feedback:
For those of us with a trim level which includes the steering wheel control buttons, the Polar FIS unit is a great tool to either test or monitor various data points. I feel this unit is a great investment for anyone testing different spark plug heat ranges and/or spark plug gaps (misfire parameters), fueling quality or water methanol (timing correction parameters), various intake options (M.A.F. and air intake parameters), boost leak confirmation (requested vs. actual boost parameters), battery and alternator status (battery voltage parameter), engine/coolant/radiator temperatures (temperature parameters) and much more. The reverse curb parking assistance function works like a charm. I’m really enjoying how the passenger side mirror rotates down to view the curb when in reverse and how it returns to my preferred driving position as soon as I come out of reverse (neutral or in drive). Heading back to the dealership? There’s even an option to hide the Polar FIS screens.

I’ve noticed on my Polar FIS unit that actual boost maxes out around 22-23psi or 2,550mbar. For the OEM turbo owners with Stage 1 or Stage 2 software or BT owners running lower boost, these values will be valuable. For K04 or BT owners running higher boost, it may still be valuable to partially monitor for boost leaks.

There are a few things I wish the Polar FIS offered though. I have reached out to Auto-Polar through Kerma TDI (fast and excellent customer service) to provide my VagCom auto-scan in order to potentially marry certain functional VagCom blocks to available Polar FIS parameters. Basically, I’m trying to see if they can update and add more parameters that may be valuable for us to monitor. For example, even though it’s a calculated value, I’d love to see the Polar FIS exhaust gas temperature parameter work as it currently remains static at 32 degrees. For the water meth users, I’d also love to see “Instantaneous Fuel Trim (%)” to monitor fuel displacement with water methanol injection. Another fun parameter could even be the “Low Pressure (In Tank) Fuel Pump - Duty Cycle” for those of us running E85 blends.

Other than some additional parameters, I wish the Polar FIS unit had the ability to show and clear faults like APR Mobile, the P3 Digital Gauge or VagCom. So far I have not been able to find a menu for this. Lastly, I sort of miss my dedicated OEM MFD Phone screen which shows my phone’s connection, battery level and options to dial or access my phone book. Overall though, with Kerma TDI’s great customer service and fair price, I think this is a great “OEM look and feel” product for those of us that really want to see how our cars are performing on a daily basis.

Last edited:

gti925

Passed Driver's Ed
I assume the steering wheel controls are needed to cycle through the screens?

That's a bummer because this looks really slick but I have a base trim with no steering wheel controls.

Sonny

mg_90

You can have 6 parameters per screen up to 10 screens, not only 4 parameters.

On cars with the white FIS only 4 parameters are available, the 6 parameters option is only for red FIS cars.

Torito77

Ready to race!
This

Very good review Hyde. I actually find the Polar Fis a very useful tool.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
wait so the reverse down for side mirror works without any new hardware?

Correct, it works without any hardware or modifications.

This

Very good review Hyde. I actually find the Polar Fis a very useful tool.

Thank you. I find it useful too for water meth, temperatures, etc.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Any data logging or is it just real time display?

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I understand all updates are only accessible via Windows.
Who makes software that is Mac excluded these days?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I assume the steering wheel controls are needed to cycle through the screens?

That's a bummer because this looks really slick but I have a base trim with no steering wheel controls.

Sonny
It works with the wiper controls very well. Thats what I have

wendigo

Hi to all,

We updated this days, the list of parameters supported.
Currently 142 parameters are available, I attach here completed list.

PolarFIS Parameters available (142)

1 // Real Speed
2 // External temperature
3 // RPM Motor
4 // Battery voltage
5 // Petrol tank litres
6 // Calculated oil temperature
7 // Measured oil temperature
8 // Engine ambient temperature
9 // Admision temperature
10 // Cooler temperature
11 // Engine coolant output temperature
12 // Radiator coolant output temperature
13 // Oil temperature
14 // Requested boost pressure
15 // Measured boost pressure
16 // Atmospheric pressure
17 // Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure (Intake manifold absolute pressure)
18 // Presión bomba combustible requerida
19 // Presión bomba combustible medida
20 // Presión en rail de combustible
21 // Brake pressure
22 // Brake booster pressure
23 // Calculated engine load
24 // Measured engine load
25 // Mass Air Flow
26 // Mass Air Flow
27 // Acelerator pedal position
28 // Acelerator pedal position
29 // Acelerator valve position