GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Your thoughts before I do major upgrades.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I love my GTI because it does a great job of handling its two roles.

Its a good DD with decent reliability and comfort, even with the springs i've installed, that can pull well over 30mpg on long trips, especially in the summer.

It also is damn quick on a track. I have been consistently surprised with the car's ive beaten on both tight circuits and ones with longer straights.

Obviously the .:R is on the same platform, so I wouldnt imagine ride comfort would differ, and Im sure AWD would be more beneficial for Mexico street races than an LSD would be. If you do decide to get an LSD for the R though, you have more diffs to buy for. Honestly, if I didnt daily a Jeep before I got the GTI, I would probably not cared about the mpg and gone with a .:R.

Just my $0.02

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
DIVERTER VALVE FOR SALE ITS NEW PLEASE TAKE A LOOK NOT A JOKE

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/221973453962

seriously please ban this guy

i vote mk7 R or mk6 R if you cant afford it . Im really unhappy with FWD at this point and im not letting myself do anything else to this car so i dont waste money cause i want to get into something AWD asap

traction aside, the R just feels more planted and trustworthy than the GTI. It may be because it has more weight in the rear. Like on the highway in a crosswind my GTI feels like its being blown around like a ragdoll and i didnt experience that kind of feeling in the 2 mk6 Rs ive driven.

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Been an R and love the feel, but the control you have over the power will bore me. My FWD K04 GTi on the other hand, gotta love them torque steer feels

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Im really unhappy with FWD at this point and im not letting myself do anything else to this car so i dont waste money cause i want to get into something AWD asap

Wow, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who feels this way about Fail Wheel Drive! :w00t: Based on the responses I received from others on this forum, I was starting to think that I was the crazy one. :lol: Of course, it doesn't help that it has been raining and foggy lately here in South Louisiana thereby limiting my already horrible FWD traction...

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Didn't keep up with this thread. I got an insane deal on my R when I got it. I have modded the balls out of it and love it. The new Gen 3 TSI is a ridiculous engine, makes crazy power with the simple mods.

That being said, there will always be something faster, louder, lower, cooler, more expensive, newer out there.

I plan to keep my R for a long time and I am very happy with how it sits today.

Sure I will continue to mod it further because there is no way to stop :)

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Honestly, the best thing you could do is a make a list of the things you would want for the R and see where that puts you in terms of cost. Depending on how far you plan on pushing it, things like a Haldex controller and an HPFP can make the price skyrocket quick. Is AWD generally a better platform? Sure. But in this case it more depends how you're going to use the car. If you tend to race from a dig, then an R will probably serve you better. As far as anything outside that, I can't see the GTI being a lesser car in any other way (that wouldn't be fixable for the price difference between a GTI and an R).