GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At how many miles did you get carbon cleaning done?

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
First cleaning was at 83k miles. I had minimal build up.

It depends on how you drive the car. If you drive it hard (go over 4-5k rpm daily). You should be fine.

If you casually drive the car as a commuter, never really smashing it. Then you will probably have build up.

Ah, no. Way too many variables to make that kind of blanket statement. With these cars, it's not a matter of "if," it's a matter of "when." Driving habits will just impact the "when."

I'm at 90% high revving, highway driving. Flog it to 6K every day. Shit, some days I'll cruise on the highway in 4th or 5th gear. I've actually gotten to the point of not using 6th gear for that very reason. It shits on my MPGs, but seems to help the carbon issue. It's probably my imagination as I've gotten the same MIL a couple times in the last few months. Hoping to push off the next $600 pill another 5K miles or so.

Had to do mine the first time at 59K. Here's what my valves looked like.

kiyoshi147

Ready to race!
I drive 60 miles round trip to work everyday (65% highway, 35% suburban roads) and I had my first cleaning done at 60k. There was a ton of buildup that resulted in the Check Engine Light, and a rather rough idle.

At 75k, I ran the CRC intake valve cleaner, in an attempt to delay the inevitable buildup.

Second "cleaning" was at 90k because I already had the intake manifold off, and the buildup was considerably less than I expected after seeing the result of the first 60k.

I plan on running the CRC cleaning every 10-15k, because it looked like it helped, and I'm not going to argue with something that's $10 and 10 minutes of my time.

yuev87

I have my valves and IM flaps walnut blasted at 55k miles. I was getting misfire codes during cold starts and I would get misfires under light load for the first 5 minutes of driving until the temp gauge moved about 2/3rd of the way up to normal. I drove a lot of highway miles when I initially got my car but I moved and my commute changed to a much shorter drive with a lot of stop and go driving in the city.

I also figured I was having carbon issues because the car felt a little meh below 3k RPM and my fuel economy had gone down to about 29 on the highway.

Had the walnut blast done by an awesome indy shop and I had a fuel injector replaced as well while everything was out. It was like driving a completely different car afterwards. I felt the difference within about 5 seconds before I even got out of first gear. Night and day difference if you're starting to show the symptoms of carbon buildup.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
so for those that did this i figure it would be best to go ahead and set up a catch can at the same time right? to avoid future buildup?

Kinda turns a 500 dollar investment into a 1000 dollar investment but hey..

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
so for those that did this i figure it would be best to go ahead and set up a catch can at the same time right? to avoid future buildup?

Kinda turns a 500 dollar investment into a 1000 dollar investment but hey..

I'll get around to doing my catch can install soon enough. the debate isnt settled on if they help or not.

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
I'll get around to doing my catch can install soon enough. the debate isnt settled on if they help or not.

Might not help with carbon build up but it should keep the oil outta the charge pipes and intercooler. When I replaced the throttle pipe and removed it from the intercooler hose it dropped oil all over me. [emoji30]
At least If it keeps the oil away from the charge pipes it's worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joveen

Ready to race!
I'm at 82k no issues. Will do it once I upgrade to an ie manifold.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^yeah true points guys I know it's still on the table, but along with the other benefits.. i'm considering it. atleast one with a different plate not just a can/adapter

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
^yeah true points guys I know it's still on the table, but along with the other benefits.. i'm considering it. atleast one with a different plate not just a can/adapter

Spulens version 2 is pretty much a differentnplate now. I have a few pics on my IG.