GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please review my price quote!

Palmersquall1

Hi all,

This is my first new car purchase and I want the best deal possible. I'm in the military stationed in germany and am thinking about buying from Auto Exchange military sales. The incentives of purchasing through military sales are invoice pricing, and no taxes. The price quote doesnt seem as low as i was expecting. When I build my car on the VW site with all the same options the price is $26,165. I will only be saving about $452. Please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks

Last edited:

Palmersquall1

I emailed the car sales man about the extra fees that are not listed on the VW site and here is his response.

The inland stock Fee is $299 – this is the fee to ship the vehicle from Bremerhaven to your nearest Auto Exchange. Bremerhaven is the entry point in to the tax free system for most manufactures in Germany.

The port handling fee’s, $199, are handling charges at the port of Bremerhaven.

The administration fee’s, $345, cover our admin fee’s from ordering the vehicle, printing titles to preparing the customs paperwork.

We have decided to show these costs because we use the invoice based pricing system. If we just sold at MSRP all the time (like we used to) then this costs could be hidden with the flat, but slightly higher, price. As I mentioned feedback on this has been very good and all the costs are fully justified.

How soon were you looking for a vehicle? I do have a white 2 door manual, Authobahn package, 18” rims and blue tooth connectivity in stock available for an immediate delivery. Cost is $28361.

I dont understand why the car would be shipped from Bremerhaven. They said that the car I requested would have to be built. It would take about 3 months. Why would VW send the car to Bremerhaven and make the buy pay two extra fees??? Then there is the admin fee... Anyone else pay this??

Thanks

ashwinaj

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know about you, but those transportation, stock and administrative charges look dodgy to me...
We are already paying $750 as the destination charge, then what the hell are these charges for? In any case, right or wrong, they shouldn't be more than $200 IMHO.

Palmersquall1

re

This was my reply to his email.
Hi,

I was looking for a car within the next few months but only if i can get a good deal on it. The price you offer is only about $500 under MSRP according to the VW site... It would be close to invoice if those extra fees werent added on. Those added fees dont make any sense to me. Why would VW build my car in germany and then send it to Bremerhaven port where the 'buyer' would have to pay two extra fees when the car could be sent straight to you guys... Isnt that what the $750 destination charge is for? I would rather just pick it up at the factory.

Im willing to wait untill i get to the states to buy the car.. I've been doing some research and there are people getting better deals back home. The tax free benefit isnt that much of an incentive for me because i will still be getting tax free in the states.. If you can find away to knock those fees off I will be willing to reconsider.

thanks for your time

armyav8tor

I had a bad experience with Auto Exchange, they tried to penalize me (for an insane amount) for canceling my order when the sales person stated to me I can cancel at anytime and my deposit would be returned to me. The sales person basically told me to put down $100 to make a reservation on a car so that I can hold it while I decide if I wanted it or not. Being the trusting person I was (being they are supposed to be serving people in the military), I signed the paper and what I signed was actually a purchase order. I made some noise about it and eventually I got out of the purchase and the sales person apologized. Her reasoning was, "I was so sure you wanted the car". This might have been an isolated case, but I will never deal with that company again. FYI, the purchase order I signed was for full MSRP plus all the BS charges that they are quoting you. My advice, take your money to BMW Military Sales. I bought a 335i from them, great experience, totally painless. Liked it so much I bought a M3 from them again the following year. Good luck!

Palmersquall1

re

BMW military sales offered me a base 1 series for 26,000. I want the gti tho :)
I have a friend thats buying an m3 from them. He is saving about 8000 not including taxes. Im still waiting on a reply from that dealer..

Palmersquall1

Here is his reply
Thanks for the email and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Everybody pays the $750 destination charge. You can think of it as a destination charge but to me I just see it as price of the vehicle as it is always there.

The vehicle has to be shipped in to Bremerhaven for most vehicles built in Europe (I think BMW and Volvo are the only exception to this rule as they have a special tax free system at the port) as this is the entry point in to the Tax Free System here in Europe. As our price is based at such a small margin over invoice we have to cover some of our costs, hence the charges.

I am still confident that this price is still very competitive in comparison to a stateside dealer.

With the cost of the vehicle there is absolutely no modifications to this what so ever, however what I can do is help out on a special incentive should you opt for the extended warranty.

Exclusive offer to our online customers only - the car comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty in Europe an the states. If you would like to opt for a 6 year/75,000 mile extended warranty (covers Europe and the USA) we sell them usually for $1,494, but if you get it at the same time as buying the car I can offer it to you for only $800!! I have also attached some info on this extended plan for you to read. It is a very comprehensive program and transferable to the new owner should you move on from the vehicle in years to come. With this great added feature and it helps add a lot of value to future buyers.

So, if this sounds like the vehicle for you and you would like to reserve it , simply fill in and return the attached “Customer Information Sheet” and I can then prepare an order form to get the ball rolling.

Should i take this offer or wait another year and buy the car in the states and pay the taxes on it? And what about this extended warranty? Too good to be true?

ashwinaj

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is his reply

Should i take this offer or wait another year and buy the car in the states and pay the taxes on it? And what about this extended warranty? Too good to be true?

Just as I expected, hez taking you for a ride with those charges. This is something similar to "dealer prep fee" or "advertising fee" etc.
Honestly if you're collecting the vehicle in Germany (which it looks like) why do all these port charges come into play? Is Germany split across two remote islands that I'm unaware of?

The car's made in the factory and sent to the dealer via 18 wheelers, I would think, and that constitutes the destination charge of $750. These extra charges seem bogus to me and notice in his reply, he says that he could give you a discount on extra warranty...hez just trying to get extra moolah, that's all....

DawnsKayBug1

Go Kart Champion
You guys realize the car is going from Germany to the US BACK TO GERMANY???????
Im waiting on mine from Auto Exchange right now but delivery time might kill the deal.
Extended warranties are negotiable and big money makers $800 sounds about right.

drewnyc

The dealer sounds like a crook - but no taxes is a huge plus - I live in CA and had to pay over 10% in taxes!!!

TYROAD

i thinks the audtralia selling gti will be the dearest
i picked up all stand 5doors dsg gti v6 $42000AUD