GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Projekt Rinzler

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Code:
Code:
This is my first GTI, and first off -- I absolutely love it! It's also my first VW. My first German engineered car. My first *new* car. It's also the first car I have modified, so constructive criticism is welcome. I admit a guilty pleasure of loving racing simulation videogames (Forza Motorsport 3, Gran Turismo 3 and 4) and the modification obsession kept for so long in the virtual is now becoming real...

Here she is, still stock this morning with 2050 miles:

That said, I decided to call this project "Rinzler" after the reincarnation of Tron in the Legacy movie. Not that I loved the movie, I just like the character --- stealthy, dressed in black with subtle red lines, powerful but hiding it. Rinzler captures the essence of the car I want to build. Don't worry, there will be no neon.

Mod Lists

[ ] Something planned in future, but not ordered yet.
[-] Purchased but not installed.
[X] Installed currently.
[o] Installed, but removed.
---
( ) Something I am not sure of and I am debating/researching/cajoling my wife to let me buy

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine & Drivetrain

[o] APR ECU Stage 1
[o] APR ECU Stage 2
[X] APR K04 Turbo Kit
[o] Modshack VTDA Intake
[X] APR Carbonio Intake
[X] APR Intercooler
[X] Ultimate Racing Downpipe with metal cat and resonator
[X] NGK Laser Platinum Spark plugs @ .028" gap
[X] Audi R8 Red Coilpacks
[X] APR DSG Tune
[X] 034 engine and transmission mounts, street density
[X] VWR subframe mount
( ) Catback

Diagnostics

[X] Ross-Tech VCDS (VAGCOM): Hex-Can
[o] PLX Devices: Kiwi Bluetooth OBD2 Transmitter
[o] Torque App for Android (using Kiwi)
[X] APR Boost Tap
[X] AWE Vent-mount Boost Gauge
[X] APR Mobile

Brakes

[X] StopTech street performance Pads (front)
[X] StopTech street performance Pads (back)
[X] TyrolSport Bronze Caliper Bushings
[X] USP Motorsports Stainless Steel Brake Lines
[X] Motul RBF600 racing brake fluid
[X] StopTech Slotted Rotors

Suspension & Chassis Stiffening

[X] Unibrace UB
[X] Unibrace XB
[X] Unibrace RB
[X] DG Springs
[X] H&R Anti Roll Bar 26mm F / 22mm R
[X] Whiteline AntiLift Kit (WALK)
[X] Whiteline poly bushings W0503 and W0504
[X] TyrolSport Deadset Rigid Collar subframe Kit
[X] Bilstein Sport Dampers (B8)
[X] 034 Density Struct Mounts
[X] 034 Sway Bar Endlinks F&R

Wheels & Tires

[o] Michelin Pilot Super Sports
[o] Enkei Raijin Hyper Silver lightweight wheels
[X] Enkei Racing PF01 17x8 Wheels
[X] Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A 245/40R-17

Cosmetic & Comfort

[X] Interior LED conversion to Natural White [SuperBrightLeds]
[X] Red LED footwells [SuperBrightLeds]
[X] Yellow fog lights [PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow H8]
[X] Smoked side markers
[X] ECS Hatch pop kit
[X] OEM Euroswitch with Auto setting
[X] BoldSport Auto Light Sensor
[X] Extra trunk LED lighting (LED strip recessed)
[-] Bumper Protector
[X] S2T Paddle Shifters
[X] Smoked Golf R20 LED Tails (with Rear Fog)
[X] Door warning / puddle light kit
[ ] HomeLink DIY
[ ] Lamin X Clear for Headlights, Yellow or Clear on Fogs (protection).
---
( ) Tint -- probably 3M Crystal.
( ) Blue tinted aspherical mirrors

Driver Training

[X] HPDE 1: Thunderhill & Laguna Seca.
[ ] HPDE 2
[X] Season of autocross with BMW CCA in X class
[X] Evolution Performance Driving School: SCCA Phase 1 (autocross)
[X] Evolution Performance Driving School: SCCA Phase 2 (autocross)
[X] ECS Headrest Camera Mount
[X] GoPro Hero 3 & 4

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to my GTI Journey and please post any thoughts!

Cheers,
Aries Pope

Last edited:

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Here's what I did today:

[X] PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Fogs

Terrible photos, but it's hard to shoot these. I promise to go find real fog and take a photo.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I also got a full LED replacement from superbrightleds.com (Thanks to the parts listing I found on this thread: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15664)

It's much brighter and the color is Natural White, so fuller spectrum than the warm yellowish bulbs that were in there. My wife loves it too.

I also did the footwells in red, of course. I found that 75% brightness setting seems about right.

Here's a shot from through windshield:

And inside:

I love how the big GTI mats light up on the border... we're starting to get the Rinzler feel in there already!

Had a bulb extra and was like, "Where does this go?" Ah. The glovebox. I'll put that one in tomorrow.

Issues

Fat Footwell Bulbs
Some issues getting the red LED's in. I got the big ones and they don't fit very well in the metal housing, so I had to do some bending with small pliers to shape the socket to the LED. Luckily the metal is pliable, but I don't want to do that much lest I break it and need to replace it.

Trunk
The trunk is going to turn into a bigger project. It's too dark. I went with cool white as big as I could find, and it's about as bright as before. I will need to figure out a way to add more lighting into the trunk. There must be some switched power I can feed from, there's a 12V plug right there, though I want to leave that open. I have a couple ideas to try out, parts coming early next week...

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I'm getting antsy to get APR Stage 1 ECU and the Carbonio Stage 1 (maybe 1&2) intake next. Can't do too many cosmetic mods without the required performance ones...

I called Winn VW a few times, phone tag. Maybe I will wait and see if there's a sale in early October, since I really want a loaded ECU with: Stock/91/100/Valet + PINLockout. I'll just spend the saved cash on another performance mod anyway.

Since I will need to take some time from work to get this done, I really want to get all the basic stage 1+ done at once.

Plan would be:

• APR Stage 1
  • APR Carbonio Stage 1
  • Hawk HPS Pads (front)
  • USP Stainless Steel Brake Lines + SuperBlue

all at once while it's in the shop. Heck, maybe throw the Unibrace UB on then too.

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
Interior lighting looks good and the planned mods seem to be a pretty logical choice. Only thing I am not sure would look good are the bbs ch with a red lip. That is a time attack look and I think it may end up looking a bit cheap. The wheels themselves are nice, but I think you may want to explore some different options for integrating red into the exterior. Three piece wheels maybe with red barrels, or maybe a subtle red vinyl. You may also want switch the gti badge on the rear to a red one.

Last edited:

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
wiring to the 12v in the trunk will cause the light only to be on with the key... it will never work with the car off... you need to splice the existing and wire it in in parallel...

i also want more light in the hatch so i am trying to locate a second light that is the same that i can put on the other side... i think it will be a sweet OEM+ mod

rcopp

Ready to race!
Nice build! If you want a cheaper way to have a hidden garage door opener, I'd suggest this. It's really easy to do, still looks 100% stock when put back together, and cheap.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Interior lighting looks good and the planned mods seem to be a pretty logical choice. Only thing I am not sure would look good are the bbs ch with a red lip. That is a time attack look and I think it may end up looking a bit cheap. The wheels themselves are nice, but I think you may want to explore some different options for integrating red into the exterior. Three piece wheels maybe with red barrels, or maybe a subtle red vinyl. You may also want switch the gti badge on the rear to a red one.

Ah, duly noted. I hadn't thought about that effect of the lip. I definitely do not want to look cheap! The wheels haven't had much thought put into them yet, which is why I posted seeking advice. I see a lot of O.Z. Ultraleggeras or VMR 710's out there (not surprising, they look awesome on the GTI), I kind of want a different path. I'll keep thinking about it, the wheels are on back burner till spring.

Red badges are a good idea. I might photoshop and see what I think.

Vinyls... hmm... I want to stay subdued. I don't need much red on the exterior to be happy. Red brake lines and even a red UB underneath might be enough to make me content. I know they are there.

One longer term plan is to do a custom replacement for the front VW emblem since I have access to a 3D printer and CNC mill recently and plan to take classes in their use. Perhaps I can get the "identity disc" look customized there. I certainly do NOT want all out Tron by any means. I'm using it as inspiration, not to copy slavishly.

Thanks for the input!

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
wiring to the 12v in the trunk will cause the light only to be on with the key... it will never work with the car off... you need to splice the existing and wire it in in parallel...

i also want more light in the hatch so i am trying to locate a second light that is the same that i can put on the other side... i think it will be a sweet OEM+ mod

Ah, right. Good point on the 12V plug.

Parallel wiring should work with the LED's, they draw less power than the bulbs, so amperage won't be a problem, I guess.

So you'd imagine just buying a new replacement OEM fixture, adding a Y to the power to the original somehow, and finding a way to mount it on the other side? I don't really want to cut this hatch up too much, hoping for "glue on" alternatives.

On this path, I have been looking into EL Tape. I'm not sure it will illuminate enough, but it'd be easy to prototype and work with and the 12V inverter could be spliced into the other lamp circuit (maybe) I just need to figure out if the currents work out doing that. The plan is to prototype with a battery inverter before I hack wires and make sure it doesn't suck.

My big worry with the EL Tape is that it could get over the top (ricey) fast. I want subtle. EL works with the Tron inspiration, but I don't want to push that too far for obvious reasons. Having it hidden inside the hatch as a functional illumination source for groceries might be OK. Thoughts?

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Nice build! If you want a cheaper way to have a hidden garage door opener, I'd suggest this. It's really easy to do, still looks 100% stock when put back together, and cheap.

Thanks!

Good link... I saw a similar one. The garage remote is the landlord's not mine, so I can't really cut it up.

I saw one guy who bought a Homelink transmitter for like $20 on eBay and did a clean install into the dash near the headlight switch. I don't want to cut my dash, but it looked good and inspired me.

The other OEM+ solutions:

Mirrors: too much money
Visor: way too much money

I can spend those $400 on something useful like window tint. $400 to open my garage? Screw that.

My thought is to buy the $20 transmitter and mount it into the map light center visor console into the sunglass cubby, which is way too small for my sunglasses anyway.

I can cut this piece since I could easily replace it (I might buy a replacement in advance to do the mounting anyway).

The trick would be finding the right power source in the console, but there's enough up there.

I'd lose the sunglass cubby, but gain a visor without a 1970's garage door opener dangling from it!

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Tracking number fever!

Lots on order in a frenzy the last two nights:

O modshack VTDA intake
O usp SS brake lines
O ate super blue racing fluid
O stop tech street performance front pads (rear still not available for 2011+ from either hawk or stop tech)

And

O smoked side markers (impulse buy on checkout)

Most will be here next week!

Thanks to plac for the video and help on deciding for modshack over carbonio, I like quiet and powerful and well fitting as well.

Thanks to Hyde16 for the thread on stop tech pads, decided to try that route.

Also planning for the APR stage 1 flash ASAP now the sale is on.

Gonna be an exciting two weeks! Can't wait to get set up and go find a windy road!

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Talked to the tuner today about getting APR stage 1 and brakes done next week. Before I had a chance to ask about it, he said "Tyrolsport!". We talked and I decided to go for the Tyrolsport brake stiffening kit as well, so I just ordered a set... massive brake upgrade when I get the APR stage 1. All the parts should be here by next wednesday, hopefully I can get this done before the weekend and go on an epic journey!

Starting to think about a Unibrace UB. I'd consider XB, but not sure I could handle the install myself.

"I hate waiting." -- Inigo Montoya

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
FedEx, UPS, and USPS beat a path to my door the past couple days.

Here's the Tyrolsport Brake Stiffening Kit (bronze bushings) order from them directly:

USP Motorsports Stainless Steel Brake Lines (front and rear) direct from USP:

ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid, from Tire Rack since UPS Ground from Reno to the Bay is fast and cheap (I got 3L, not sure what I needed, reports vary).

Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads (front only for 2012). Ordered from Rock Auto, who in fact do rock. Great prices, timely delivery.

And Rock sent me a magnetic fridge sticker:

No swag or stickers from the others, though.

I got an appointment Saturday for APR Stage 1 ECU and to get these put on. Can't wait! I might need suggestions on where to bed the new pads near Fremont without getting arrested for driving like an idiot...

The intake I will be putting on myself. That should be here tomorrow!

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
I jumped in on the Unibrace group buy as well and got a UB, supporting the local business.

Group buy link is here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25033

We hit the 30+ price point, so it's a great deal. I got a UB ordered to help with the driveway bump/speed bump squeaks. I'm debating if I want the XB or not... I have no tools since I moved to CA from the east coast this Jan, so the install will be more pricey as I need to start stocking my tools as well...

I like Untangle's post on the two being a complete 3D stiffening system, more than the sum of parts... I don't think it will help in my daily commute, but I might feel it on the weekend mountain runs, or track days (aiming for my first in Nov @ Infineon if I can get my ducks in a row by then). Hard to say no to such a good price point when I was considering it anyway! It'll just make a dent in the spring budget for IC and DP...

rcopp

Ready to race!
Thanks!

Good link... I saw a similar one. The garage remote is the landlord's not mine, so I can't really cut it up.

I saw one guy who bought a Homelink transmitter for like $20 on eBay and did a clean install into the dash near the headlight switch. I don't want to cut my dash, but it looked good and inspired me.

The other OEM+ solutions:

Mirrors: too much money
Visor: way too much money

I can spend those $400 on something useful like window tint. $400 to open my garage? Screw that.

My thought is to buy the $20 transmitter and mount it into the map light center visor console into the sunglass cubby, which is way too small for my sunglasses anyway.

I can cut this piece since I could easily replace it (I might buy a replacement in advance to do the mounting anyway).

The trick would be finding the right power source in the console, but there's enough up there.

I'd lose the sunglass cubby, but gain a visor without a 1970's garage door opener dangling from it!
I totally forgot I posted in here. But you can go to Ace or another hardware store and find a universal opener for cheap and pair it with your garage door opener, then cut that one up. Its seriously super easy to do, and super worth it, imo.

Build is looking good btw, lots of nice stuff coming in! :thumbsup: