GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car and Driver - GTI vs. Mazdaspeed 3

surrealchemist

Ready to race!
Die hard sports car fans are gonna hate me but I ruled out the speed3 because it is manual only. Plus, the GTI has an AMAZING interior compared to the speed3.

Same here as well. Same reasons, and I also saw the C&D comparison which started making me think about the GTI.

GTI wasn't even the first thing I started with when I was thinking about getting a new car but after all the research etc it kept coming back to it. Best bargain and tons of fun.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone else considering these two cars like I am?

I love things about both cars and also have some dislikes.

My major dislike about the GTI is the lack of power even though its what 20-30 whp less than the ms3? Thats not a lot... I am also fearful of some small nagging problem that wont get fixed at the dealer or when the car is out of warranty something big will pop up.

My major dislike of the ms3 is the crap seats, dash and the position of the stereo information. I do like that it has more power, but it makes no sense to have all that power but have the ECU limit the power in the first 3 gears. Also I hear 2nd gear likes to grenade itself on these cars.

I love the styling on both. So what would it take to make the GTI as fast as the ms3? Do the GTI's go through brake pads like crazy since the Electronic front diff uses brakes to keep your traction?

krische

vdubber in training
Anyone else considering these two cars like I am?

I love things about both cars and also have some dislikes.

My major dislike about the GTI is the lack of power even though its what 20-30 whp less than the ms3? Thats not a lot... I am also fearful of some small nagging problem that wont get fixed at the dealer or when the car is out of warranty something big will pop up.

My major dislike of the ms3 is the crap seats, dash and the position of the stereo information. I do like that it has more power, but it makes no sense to have all that power but have the ECU limit the power in the first 3 gears. Also I hear 2nd gear likes to grenade itself on these cars.

I love the styling on both. So what would it take to make the GTI as fast as the ms3? Do the GTI's go through brake pads like crazy since the Electronic front diff uses brakes to keep your traction?

I thought about the ms3. But after riding in the previous generation; the highway noise was just way too loud.

The GTI had everything I was looking for, minus the power. But a simple tune can fix that: http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_trans.html. Just get that and it'll match the power of the ms3.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Ill be honest, their forum was the biggest turn off for me. They seem to be a bunch of street racing kids from the way they talk and stroke their egos.

So just a stage 1 re-flash will bring power to 254hp & 297trq? Or were those numbers with the intake, catback and intercooler upgrades?

krische

vdubber in training
yeah 254 hp and 297 ft*lbs are at the crank I'm pretty sure. Although I dunno if APR actually mounts the engine to the dyno, or maybe they estimate at the crank by compensating for drive train loses.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I was under the impression that those numbers were with the other parts. If thats just the flash then that is pretty amazing.

I was looking at dynos on another board and the ms3 was putting down 220-235 whp.

krische

vdubber in training
yeah those numbers are just from the stage 1 tune. VW really detunes the GTI from the factory.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I was under the impression that those numbers were with the other parts. If thats just the flash then that is pretty amazing.

I was looking at dynos on another board and the ms3 was putting down 220-235 whp.

Some GTIs were putting down about 190-200whp on the factory tune, as well, so that sort of power deficit seems right.

gkallis

Ready to race!
i <3 gti