GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front brake rotors warped already?! WTF?

bebersol

Ready to race!
VW uses really cheap mild steel rotors and crummy brake pads. Your rotors warped, probably y got them a little hot or hit a puddle of slush. Most people have issues with excessive grooving on the front rotors. I would let VW replace mine with OEM rotors and pads they’ll only do the same thing. I plan on up grading mine when A) they warp or B) the groove too deep. Mine are grooved pretty deep with 15k on the car.

adamjackson

Found this thread while doing some Google searches and decided to sound off as well.

I'm up in the northern part of New Hampshire...we get Hella low temps and I live on a dirt road so my rotors had a lot of issues after only 1 year of ownership of my 2013 Golf R

Basically after 6 months (15K miles), I had a large deep scratch in my rotor from a pebble in my brake pad that must have bounced up as I hit the brakes and then boom, deep scratch. I started getting a lot of rust on my rotors. not just spots like the whole front rotors were red / orange after an evening of not driving it.

I store mine outside in the elements. I almost always let it warm up for 5 minutes...15 when it's 10-20 below 0 outside.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I parked my car and went to Europe. It was a rainy day, I rushed to the train station, lots of hard braking, parked the car and left. I came back to town, cranked her up and took off and felt bouncing / jittering on the front right rotor.

I inspected it and basically 25% of the rotor was half-rust, half shiny metal. the other was all shiny metal which made me think that when I push the brake, the pad isn't making contact with that 25%

I'm at 27K miles now so I went to the dealer to get my summer tires put on and alignment done and have the brakes check. They recommended I replace the rotor but not the pads. I've heard that pads can also be culprits so I had them do all of it. Two rotors + Pads + service was about $500 then another $200 for alignment + tire swap.

Not terrible but sucks that I've only owned it for a year. They also remarked that the front right pad was about 15% more warn than the left one.

I admit that I drive like an asshole but I've never had to replace pads or rotors until it's been 50K+ miles. Just chalking it up to being a factor of owning and driving a sports car like a sports car. the fact that I drove 30K miles a way, live in a region that has lows of -20 and highs of 85 with 6 months of snow on the ground and living on a disgusting dirt road, I don't expect brakes to last too long.

spurvis

Passed Driver's Ed
Found this thread while doing some Google searches and decided to sound off as well.

I'm up in the northern part of New Hampshire...we get Hella low temps and I live on a dirt road so my rotors had a lot of issues after only 1 year of ownership of my 2013 Golf R

Basically after 6 months (15K miles), I had a large deep scratch in my rotor from a pebble in my brake pad that must have bounced up as I hit the brakes and then boom, deep scratch. I started getting a lot of rust on my rotors. not just spots like the whole front rotors were red / orange after an evening of not driving it.

I store mine outside in the elements. I almost always let it warm up for 5 minutes...15 when it's 10-20 below 0 outside.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I parked my car and went to Europe. It was a rainy day, I rushed to the train station, lots of hard braking, parked the car and left. I came back to town, cranked her up and took off and felt bouncing / jittering on the front right rotor.

I inspected it and basically 25% of the rotor was half-rust, half shiny metal. the other was all shiny metal which made me think that when I push the brake, the pad isn't making contact with that 25%

I'm at 27K miles now so I went to the dealer to get my summer tires put on and alignment done and have the brakes check. They recommended I replace the rotor but not the pads. I've heard that pads can also be culprits so I had them do all of it. Two rotors + Pads + service was about $500 then another $200 for alignment + tire swap.

Not terrible but sucks that I've only owned it for a year. They also remarked that the front right pad was about 15% more warn than the left one.

I admit that I drive like an asshole but I've never had to replace pads or rotors until it's been 50K+ miles. Just chalking it up to being a factor of owning and driving a sports car like a sports car. the fact that I drove 30K miles a way, live in a region that has lows of -20 and highs of 85 with 6 months of snow on the ground and living on a disgusting dirt road, I don't expect brakes to last too long.

Hello Adam. I was surprised to see your post about what sounds like is something similar to my issue.. I thought I might be the only person experiencing this!

I'm sorry to hear you too have experienced disc warpping. I'm still baffled how mine warped even under "normal" use so quickly, and I'm still disappointed VW Corporate declined to help out in replacing them. :thumbdown:

I'm hoping it doesn't occur again! Good luck to you and your R!

R2-300GL

front pad and rotors free VW replacement

Hey Guys
Sent a legal letter to VW Canada to claim a payment of $558.94 that the local dealer charged me since a claimed that VW dont cover brake under basic waranty.

Guest what: Got my full amount back from VW customer service Canada.
The stoty is : Dont take the word of the dealer.

Happy ending
R2-300GL