GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC and P0302 (maybe P0299)

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
I put a new PCV valve on today. Did the same oil cap test and there was still no difference with it on or off. I did notice smoke coming out of the oil fill cap this time when it was off (after PCV installation). Any reason for that?

I didn't get a chance to do any good pulls so I'm unsure if it fixed the code yet. I will hopefully know more over the next few days.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I put a new PCV valve on today. Did the same oil cap test and there was still no difference with it on or off. I did notice smoke coming out of the oil fill cap this time when it was off (after PCV installation). Any reason for that?

I didn't get a chance to do any good pulls so I'm unsure if it fixed the code yet. I will hopefully know more over the next few days.

That's odd! Normally if the PCV is good the car would start to splutter and run rough with the cap removed due to the air leak, maybe it will react differently with a catch can!?? I dunno!
Are the catch can pipes blocked maybe? (I don't know what effect this would have), I would guess the "smoke" you saw is oil vapour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
That's odd! Normally if the PCV is good the car would start to splutter and run rough with the cap removed due to the air leak, maybe it will react differently with a catch can!?? I dunno!
Are the catch can pipes blocked maybe? (I don't know what effect this would have), I would guess the "smoke" you saw is oil vapour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe so. If that's the case my old one may still be good. It's been very rainy so I haven't had a chance to do any good pulls and check for any CEL/codes. VGDS still on it's way too so that should help.

The catch can lines seem good. It seems like the rear hose that comes off the PCV is blocked (on purpose when catch can was installed, I believe). I'm not sure if that would let the car run normally with or without the oil cap on. I really don't know how this works haha.

Yeah it was after the car ran for a while vs testing the old PCV on a cold engine.

gtimk6spd

Ready to race!
The car has been driving as if it makes more power since the new PCV install. However my idle seems a little more rough now overall. It's still pretty smooth, but not like it was before. I just got a VCDS in from my brother and now need to find a laptop to do testing. Any recommendations on what to log? I need to look up how to even do data logging lol.