GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

another "my car makes a weird sound"

biped

Ready to race!
first, a little background. indulge me.

i owned a '12 tdi that i wrote off following a moose intervention on a highway. i hit it doing full tilt highway speeds, rolled the car five times and walked out without a scratch. figured i'd give vw another shot. had a feeling my previous mazda would not have fared as well.

now i own a '13 2.5. it was the engine i should have bought all along. i mention the two cars because the tdi drivetrain/platform did NOT have this sound at all.

the sound i am hearing is a very audible PING or TING or click or whathaveyou that is able to be heard with the windows up, down, whatever

it sounds like expanded metal PING but very loud.

. mostly heard on inclines if i juice it a bit. lately it seems to be directly related to engine movement like after a shift, but sometimes it just happens with steady throttle.. on occasional i actually FEEL it via the gas pedal.. passengers have heard it and commented of their own accord. dealer doesn't know wtf i'm talking about.

car has about 25k km on it and has done it since 500. nothing seems to feel wrong or out of the ordinary. no mods, only suspension.

dogbone? heat shield? exhaust combustion? subframe? wtf mang

anyone help?

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
I guess the first question is why did you wait almost 25K KM to ask about the issue?

Is the ping sound the kind of sound one hears when one turns one's car off after a long drive? You know, the metal-flex-upon-cooling ping?

I don't know what it is, but the fact that you can actually feel it goes to show that it's not just some minor expansion issue. Anything that moves eventually fails, which is why we perform maintenance, so a popping happening over and over again isn't going to do anything but get worse. If you can't get some easy answers on here you really should get it looked at by a pro.

I can tell you my 2.5l does not make that sound. In fact, at least one person who's been in my car has noted how quite the engine is. Though, at that time I wasn't juicin' it on an incline ;)

biped

Ready to race!
i asked about it multiple times at the dealer and was told it was normal or they could not replicate the sound.. i may have to just take a tech for a drive.

believe me, i didn't just wait until now. at least i have receipts for visits documenting my asking about the sound in case it does come back to bite me.

yes, it sounds like metal flex upon cooling ping.

unsure of what exactly it might be though. this car has been somewhat of a lemon since i have owned it. had the alternator replaced at 1k as the power steering and major components refused to work intermittently. just cut out while driving until the car wouldn't start..

trying to narrow it down though. just wondering what exactly in the drivetrain could be doing this?

brian2668

Passed Driver's Ed
I am getting a clicking sound when I step on the gas and when I hit the brake. Did you find out yet what it could be?