GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slave cylinder failed, question about South Bend clutch kit

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Last night as I was driving home my clutch pedal went all the way down to the floor and stuck there. I had to coast into a parking lot and have the car towed back to my house.

I've suspected that there was an issue with my throwout bearing/slave cylinder for a while and planned to have my dad swap out the whole clutch at some point, but didn't expect it to come so soon and fail completely.

I'm looking at purchasing the South Bend Stage 2 Daily from ECS but I'm wondering if the throwout bearing is still a plastic/metal design or if it's all metal like the latest VW revision. Does anyone know the answer to this?

ChancreScolex

Ready to race!
Ended up asking someone from ECS and they said its the plastic/metal design. Should I purchase the all metal revision (0A5141671F) and install that instead to avoid future issues?

nygti3491

Ready to race!
I bought a new kit from someone on this site and it came with the 2 piece TOB but the kid also purchased the 1 piece TOB which installed and through it in with the deal. That being said I would just to have a peace of mind that it wouldnt have a problem. Haven't really heard to much problem with the 2 piece on.

JS12

Ready to race!
Given the choice, I'd go with the all metal revision for peace of mind as nyGTI3491 said. When I upgraded my clutch, I actually had both revisions of the TOB in my car. The all metal one was in the back with the clutch and everything else while the plastic one was sitting in the front seat waiting to be returned. Unfortunately, the installer chose to grab the one from the front and install that even though I pointed out all the parts in the back prior to the install.

It's still early on and I got feedback from a couple of places that they haven't had issues with the plastic/metal but I would have still preferred the all metal revision. Worst case, it fails and gives me an excuse to install a LSD...