GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First Look: Integrated Engineering's Golf R IE450T EFR Twin Scroll Turbo Kits

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
It has been quite awhile since any updates on the possible delivery of the TSI twin scroll kit does anyone know if it was canceled.

I certainly hope not.

I agree but the TSI twin scroll project seems to have been ghosted. :(

Absolutely not, that kit is still heavily in the works. Our Engineering team started on the TSI kit full throttle after the Golf R kit. They are two different kits that share very little, the entire TSI kit had to be almost entirely re-designed. The kit has recently been completely finished for hardware and is currently undergoing tons of software development time on the dyno and street testing. Everything is going very well so far! These kits take a ton of time and effort to complete and manufacture properly.

Final hardware installed:

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Absolutely not, that kit is still heavily in the works. Our Engineering team started on the TSI kit full throttle after the Golf R kit. They are two different kits that share very little, the entire TSI kit had to be almost entirely re-designed. The kit has recently been completely finished for hardware and is currently undergoing tons of software development time on the dyno and street testing. Everything is going very well so far! These kits take a ton of time and effort to complete and manufacture properly.

Final hardware installed:

Well after reassuring us over 9 months ago us that the TSI kit was still happening what is the new estimate for delivery ?

You said that the TSI kit would follow the release of the Golf R kit but that was over 17 months ago so is tuning the hold up?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Well after reassuring us over 9 months ago us that the TSI kit was still happening what is the new estimate for delivery ?

You said that the TSI kit would follow the release of the Golf R kit but that was over 17 months ago so is tuning the hold up?

Tuning is always the hold up.

Stinger

Ready to race!
Nonetheless, after some gut wrenching existential doubts (what else, but what else?!?) A dim light is leading me on the path to redemption. 2011 MK6 R $20k + full IE kit $10k = kick ass R for $30k.

Damn, forgot I may be leaving the country in 6 months... :(

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
These kits take a lot of development and testing. IE advertised ages ago but it was also to show people that the MK6 platform will not die. I applaud their efforts and continual redesign for improvement. I had this kit in the running when choosing my BT options, even with my delays and full long block build, I'm currently enjoying another kit (see signature) but guaranteed this kit will be a TON of fun.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
These kits take a lot of development and testing. IE advertised ages ago but it was also to show people that the MK6 platform will not die. I applaud their efforts and continual redesign for improvement. I had this kit in the running when choosing my BT options, even with my delays and full long block build, I'm currently enjoying another kit (see signature) but guaranteed this kit will be a TON of fun.

Well I'm second guessing my statement. For those who thought about the IE450 kit, this is absolutely horrid: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Please-Reply#/topics/8356489?page=1&_k=h6q63w

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Yep. Hardware is relatively easy to do these days. Tuning takes decades of experience and know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Well I'm second guessing my statement. For those who thought about the IE450 kit, this is absolutely horrid: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Please-Reply#/topics/8356489?page=1&_k=h6q63w

WOW !!!!

Anyone thinking of waiting on the IE TSI EFR kit PLEASE check out the link above.

I have always thought it was strange that there were none or a lack of positive posts on the IE 450 kit.

IMO the IE450 is a disaster and the TSI EFR kit is not ready for delivery a year and a half after the IE450 kit was released for one reason, IE is dedicated to supplying excuses more than supplying a tune.

Last edited:

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Well I'm second guessing my statement.

It can be very frustrating when a hard to diagnose issue presents itself, I fully understand that and have been there many times myself. There are two sides to this story, however its not going to do anyone any good for us to argue. That is why we have continued to offer support and now have both cars coming in-route to diagnose and sort any issue.

We stand by that product 100%, both of the cars are having two completely separate issues. Out the 30+ kits on the market, only one car has had issue after issue none of which directly relates to either the kit hardware or software. The car in that thread has been continuing to drive with logs pointing to HPFP fueling issues. Its odd that car has been through 3 fuel pumps as well. We will soon know exactly what is going on there.

The second car has very strange knock issues. The hardware is operating fine, the software is requesting and receiving boost, requesting and receiving fuel, and requesting and NOT receiving ignition timing. The car is making less timing due to timing pull than any car on any tune on the same fuel in the same conditions. The car has the same timing on higher octane, race fuel, less boost, etc... Clearly there is an issue here unrelated to the tune/hardware. We will also find out what that is.

Its really easy to grab pitch forks and blame the company, but we are continuing to take steps to correct any issue these cars have. There are over 30+ kits running the same file. These two cars have two completely different issues that have not been duplicated anywhere else. I'm happy that both cars will be sorted out soon.

As I'm sure you have realized, there are all sorts of issues that can happen when building a big turbo car. I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure you are not blaming your engine problems on your hardware & software. A lot of love, money, work, and time goes into even a bolt-on kit.

Unlike other kits on the market, we sell ours directly to the customer. We do not require that a shop installs them like other companies. Unfortunately, that does open a door for install or existing un-diagnosed issues to present themselves.

Yep. Hardware is relatively easy to do these days. Tuning takes decades of experience and know how.

It's a lot of sad speculation to blame the tune. It is really unfortunate to see a true quality product get a bad rep on speculation. Nothing anywhere in the MANY logs we have show an issue with software. Our tuning department is very competent and is producing very high-quality software. Our Golf R software alone has received overwhelmingly positive response and has gained a lot of popularity.

TSI EFR kit is not ready for delivery a year and a half after the IE450 kit was released for one reason, IE is dedicated to supplying excuses more than supplying a tune.

If we were truly dedicated to supplying excuses, then we would release a kit we were not completely satisfied with, take your money, and then make excuses for it. That is not the case. We are rarely the first to market on a big product, however we want to offer the best quality possible for that product.

The wait for the TSI kit, is for one that it is a very different kit that uses a lot of hardware variation. We are also playing with a different turbo and options for that turbo to better work with FWD. The TSI is very fuel limited, we quickly hit the ceiling of what it can reliably do on direct injection alone and the power is just not as high as we wanted. That same power is already available in other kits, we don't want to release just another of the same. So we have been in serious mode developing some very cool fuel solutions to push that thing out. We maxed out a 7163 EFR at 542whp & 464ftlbs on the fuel on our protoype fuel setup. That is running some very slick tuning for the auxiliary added manifold injectors on top of the DI. This is very cool stuff that I personally think should be very exciting for the TSI crowd.

We have also expanded our team of engineers to completely ground-up in-house design a software server, delivery, purchase system and in-house designed flash tool that will allow file delivery to both customers and IE dealers as well as a bunch of other cool features. That has been in BETA testing locally to us for quite a while and has recently expanded out to BETA testing remotely in many states with great success. That is coming in 2017 widely. That was/is a huge spaceship to get built and get off the ground. We are very excited for it and our customers have been providing great positive feedback. This again, is something that the MK6 TSI kit would need to exist. Software needs a reliable form of delivery beyond just existing.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
It can be very frustrating when a hard to diagnose issue presents itself, I fully understand that and have been there many times myself. There are two sides to this story, however its not going to do anyone any good for us to argue. That is why we have continued to offer support and now have both cars coming in-route to diagnose and sort any issue.

We stand by that product 100%, both of the cars are having two completely separate issues. Out the 30+ kits on the market, only one car has had issue after issue none of which directly relates to either the kit hardware or software. The car in that thread has been continuing to drive with logs pointing to HPFP fueling issues. Its odd that car has been through 3 fuel pumps as well. We will soon know exactly what is going on there.

The second car has very strange knock issues. The hardware is operating fine, the software is requesting and receiving boost, requesting and receiving fuel, and requesting and NOT receiving ignition timing. The car is making less timing due to timing pull than any car on any tune on the same fuel in the same conditions. The car has the same timing on higher octane, race fuel, less boost, etc... Clearly there is an issue here unrelated to the tune/hardware. We will also find out what that is.

Its really easy to grab pitch forks and blame the company, but we are continuing to take steps to correct any issue these cars have. There are over 30+ kits running the same file. These two cars have two completely different issues that have not been duplicated anywhere else. I'm happy that both cars will be sorted out soon.

As I'm sure you have realized, there are all sorts of issues that can happen when building a big turbo car. I don't know the specifics, but I'm sure you are not blaming your engine problems on your hardware & software. A lot of love, money, work, and time goes into even a bolt-on kit.

Unlike other kits on the market, we sell ours directly to the customer. We do not require that a shop installs them like other companies. Unfortunately, that does open a door for install or existing un-diagnosed issues to present themselves.

It's a lot of sad speculation to blame the tune. It is really unfortunate to see a true quality product get a bad rep on speculation. Nothing anywhere in the MANY logs we have show an issue with software. Our tuning department is very competent and is producing very high-quality software. Our Golf R software alone has received overwhelmingly positive response and has gained a lot of popularity.

If we were truly dedicated to supplying excuses, then we would release a kit we were not completely satisfied with, take your money, and then make excuses for it. That is not the case. We are rarely the first to market on a big product, however we want to offer the best quality possible for that product.

The wait for the TSI kit, is for one that it is a very different kit that uses a lot of hardware variation. We are also playing with a different turbo and options for that turbo to better work with FWD. The TSI is very fuel limited, we quickly hit the ceiling of what it can reliably do on direct injection alone and the power is just not as high as we wanted. That same power is already available in other kits, we don't want to release just another of the same. So we have been in serious mode developing some very cool fuel solutions to push that thing out. We maxed out a 7163 EFR at 542whp & 464ftlbs on the fuel on our protoype fuel setup. That is running some very slick tuning for the auxiliary added manifold injectors on top of the DI. This is very cool stuff that I personally think should be very exciting for the TSI crowd.

We have also expanded our team of engineers to completely ground-up in-house design a software server, delivery, purchase system and in-house designed flash tool that will allow file delivery to both customers and IE dealers as well as a bunch of other cool features. That has been in BETA testing locally to us for quite a while and has recently expanded out to BETA testing remotely in many states with great success. That is coming in 2017 widely. That was/is a huge spaceship to get built and get off the ground. We are very excited for it and our customers have been providing great positive feedback. This again, is something that the MK6 TSI kit would need to exist. Software needs a reliable form of delivery beyond just existing.

It's not speculation. It's my opinion based on the info that's been given from the customer. If you have any facts to offer please do so. Did you make any concessions to this customer? Did you help him out after his pistons toasted? Because it doesn't matter how many successful kits you sold. We only hear about the bad ones and how the vendor handles it. Doesn't sound like this customer is getting the world class service you're boasting about. Sounds like you're profiting off of his misfortune. He could have bought another Golf R at this point. Instead he's got a $50k paper weight. We all know you pay to play, but this is ridiculous.

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
It's not speculation. It's my opinion based on the info that's been given from the customer. If you have any facts to offer please do so. Did you make any concessions to this customer? Did you help him out after his pistons toasted? Because it doesn't matter how many successful kits you sold. We only hear about the bad ones and how the vendor handles it. Doesn't sound like this customer is getting the world class service you're boasting about. Sounds like you're profiting off of his misfortune. He could have bought another Golf R at this point. Instead he's got a $50k paper weight. We all know you pay to play, but this is ridiculous.

I personally have spent an easy 100 hours helping said customer both on and off company time.

We are shipping both cars in that thread here on our dime. We are not charging either owner shipping, diagnosis, or labor, or the fix for these.

We offered to help him rebuild the engine with OE parts for free, he wanted to build the engine so he could run higher octane tunes. We have him a great discount on both parts and labor on that engine. This after the car was driven on logs showing a fault in the fuel system (HPFP).

I was on the phone with him very early in AM on my cellphone when he was installing the new engine. Many other times as well. I'm not going to go into any specifics, I like Joe and I'm not throwing him under the bus to save face.

My point is not to argue with anyone, I have best intentions to be as clear as possible about the product. Regardless of the cause of the two different issues, we are covering costs for both cars to come to us here for diagnosis and repair so they can enjoy the kit for what it is.

Because it doesn't matter how many successful kits you sold. We only hear about the bad ones

Its always easier to find unhappy people than happy ones. I wish it were not so. This is even more true with traditional forums taking a huge hit in the last few years with less and less traffic and interaction.

I am happy to see other posters in that thread. I wish more IE450T owners were forum posters.

Here’s another perspective on the IE450T kit:

First off, I want give everyone a little personal background: Professionally, I’ve been preparing, engineering, servicing, and modifying Volkswagen, Audi, and Porsche products for over 20 years. I have 8 years’ experience in development work in Pratt and Miller race chassis’. I’m currently a program manager / crew chief for an Audi R8 LMS race team in eastern NC that races in IMSA.

I migrated away from an APR Stage 2+ (with added direct port N2O and direct port H2O / Meth) November last year. My reasons for a brand change were that they were the only game in town utilizing the Borg Warner twin scroll turbo, their relative small size (which allows a little bit of one-on-one service / customization), and their perceived product quality.

I will say upon installing the kit, everything just fit. I didn’t have to modify a thing. I used the recommended exhaust system and all the recommended parts including a few custom pieces of my own. I have all the resources and skillset to modify anything needed but it wasn’t necessary. In fact, this is the first sum of parts I ever installed that was absolutely perfect from an install perspective in my career. I was blown away.

From initial startup, the idle was mellow. I liked it better than the APR program previously installed. Probably had something to do with the 4” MAF housing and increases idle rpm. I loved the drivability. It was definitely quicker than the Stage 2+. I’ve put over 17K miles on the setup before tearing the driveline out this fall for a complete revamp from engine to transmission gears / differential. I expect to have the car on the road next weekend.

The only Issues I’ve had were slow response to queries on programming. I wasn’t in a rush and the responses haven’t negatively impacted our build. But it seems like if the timeline were condensed, it would be an issue. The second is the turbo came loose from the manifold. I blame this on myself for I should have checked the hardware after a few heat cycles (which is a good rule of thumb). I just didn’t take the time. Other than that…. Flawless. I’m now going with a more extreme build so we will see how it stacks up with IE’s support!

Also, their CNC head and intake manifold is a work of art. I like the installation of the intake manifold better than the HPA (which is a great piece). But o-ring seals and clever spacing really allows for a cleaner / easier install.

After many engine builds on many makes over the years, I wouldn’t use anything but their internals on this family of engine. They are consistent, on the tight end of the specifications, and of very high quality.

We’ll see what the next stage brings.

Michael

Here is my list of all the IE goodies that I have purchased to take my car from bone stock to 430WHP. Well over $10k but I just went for it.

IE 450T Kit
IE FDS Intercooler
IE 450T Cold air Intake
IE 450T Highflow Cat / Midpipe
Milltek 3” Catback
IE HPFP Re-build Kit
IE Intake Manifold
IE PCV Delete Kit

My experience and a little background:

I live in SLC and have known about IE because I am a local VW enthusiast. I own 9 Volkswagens and am not new to modding cars. I contemplated doing the install myself, in my garage. My mechanical expertise is not from a professional environment but I have swapped an engine (mk2 aba) – I have done timing belt jobs and clutches here and there, 1.8T etc. Many suspensions and 4 air-ride set ups…… However, I made the decision to have the work done at IE for the following reasons. I have no lift. I am local and they were willing to install it. Their tech (Jake) is by far one of the best in the state. They had developed, tested and built the 450t kit on their own mk6 R. The passion is apparent and I (as well as others that have mentioned above) could see the quality of the parts 1st hand. Some of these parts are truly works of art and the fitment is the best.

I bought my R brand new in 2013. I have had the kit on my car since Nov 2015. I waited as long as I could before pulling the trigger last year to get the $1000 off deal. I have known many of the guys from the VW community and it might have helped me feel more comfortable spending the money with them but I truly believe their parts are the best quality parts being produced for these cars in the world today. This is their passion.

Car went into the IE with 26k miles, was there for a week and I picked it up. Only time it’s been back was to do the Intake manifold and PCV delete. Was also re-tuned at that time. Car is amazing and has been nothing short of a VW supercar. It’s as close to super car as an econobox VW will get. VW should have built it this way to live up to the “R” title. The car feels like it came from VW this way. Very solid stock feel. I’d like to imagine it like driving a stock Lambo or similar. Just feels like it came this way. I went with the exact same build (all IE parts, less the Milltek) that they had used on their own test car because I had seen the car in person and chatted about it with them at the GTG’s and shows.

I have put almost 10k miles on this car now since the 450T kit was installed 12 months ago and the only problem I have encountered is that my clutch is ready to go. I never used the launch control because they told me it would ruin the clutch. The no lift shift is crazy addicting and the sounds are that of a super car.

The car will be going back to them soon for Jake to do the clutch install with the same gear that they have in the shop car. Solid mass flywheel etc.. I am also going with their catch can kit at that time as well to help keep her clean.

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
Took a lot of the customers money to finally get the cars shipped out. We'll see what happens. Why didn't Peter every fly out like he promised?

Tyler@IE

Go Kart Newbie
Took a lot of the customers money to finally get the cars shipped out. We'll see what happens. Why didn't Peter every fly out like he promised?

I sat here for a second on how to answer this one without painting anyone in a bad light. At this point, we are having positive and promising communication with the customers and are moving forward to make everyone happy. I don't feel it will do any good, nor is it my place to post a specific story or interaction that lead up to that. I hope that is a fair enough answer.