GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Really turning off ESP

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
If you're running a bigger bar at the rear and the stock one up front you probably want to upgrade the front one as well (like theclutch says). A big rear bar and stock up front works for autocross, but it can get weird at higher speeds.

My suspension is still stock and even with ESP I can tell that the car wants to rotate more than the nannies will allow, but I've never been surprised by it.

What FSB/RSB combination do you have if you upgraded? I am currently shopping. TONS to read, but it seems like Hotchkiss 27 mm front and 27 mm back so far. I want something that has multiple adjustment points.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
What FSB/RSB combination do you have if you upgraded? I am currently shopping. TONS to read, but it seems like Hotchkiss 27 mm front and 27 mm back so far. I want something that has multiple adjustment points.

I'm still rocking the stock bars. I did have a pair of Hotchkis hollow bars on a previous car and I was happy with them. When I get around to it I was probably going to grab a pair of H&R bars, I've heard they stay silent compared to some of the other options. But my Hotchkis bars stayed silent too, so I don't think you could go wrong with them.

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
Looking at your steering wheel angle (can't see your foot work, though), I am thinking that the rear sway bar only option is a very bad idea. That should have been a very recoverable slide. You had the steering wheel angle correct (again, I can't see your feet). I would put a front sway bar in there or soften the rear bars. It just appears too much RSB right now. And upon reading countless threads, they say that RSB only is great for autox, but very unstable at higher speeds as I think you've encountered. IMHO only.

Well I'm quite happy with the setup, on dry track it was tail happy but controllable.

who128

Ready to race!
Looking at your steering wheel angle (can't see your foot work, though), I am thinking that the rear sway bar only option is a very bad idea. That should have been a very recoverable slide. You had the steering wheel angle correct (again, I can't see your feet). I would put a front sway bar in there or soften the rear bars. It just appears too much RSB right now. And upon reading countless threads, they say that RSB only is great for autox, but very unstable at higher speeds as I think you've encountered. IMHO only.

I agree that was a very recoverable slide if the driver's had faster reaction time. I've installed the 034 Rear Sway Bar thinking it would allow me to rotate. In the end, it was a bad idea. It was too stiff even with the softest setting. Usually with the stock front and rear sway bars i can run 6/8 damper settings, but with the 034 rsb i had to set my dampers setting to an understeering set up 6/3.

Overall, i just went back to stock sway bar because whenever a driver does not feel comfortable at all with anything such as the feeling of the steering wheel. He or she cannot have the full confidence to go all out.

Heres a video of my 034 rsb installed and tested at Laguna Seca.

https://youtu.be/ssoZirABXGg

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
I agree that was a very recoverable slide if the driver's had faster reaction time. I've installed the 034 Rear Sway Bar thinking it would allow me to rotate. In the end, it was a bad idea. It was too stiff even with the softest setting. Usually with the stock front and rear sway bars i can run 6/8 damper settings, but with the 034 rsb i had to set my dampers setting to an understeering set up 6/3.

Overall, i just went back to stock sway bar because whenever a driver does not feel comfortable at all with anything such as the feeling of the steering wheel. He or she cannot have the full confidence to go all out.

WOW, I just saw the video. That just looks crazy unstable! So what FSB/RSB combination do you have now?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

I need to get back on the track. recently I actually took off my 28mm FSB and put the stock back in paired with a 24mm RSB.

The car was used for a magazine event and the driver had issues trying to get the rear to come around. An old friend of mine was one of the driver's sponsors and does a lot of Honda FWD cars. They actually disconnected the FSB to get faster times that day. He was also an editor of Turbo Magazine back back in the day.

I'm also very close with the guys at Evasive motorsports who do a lot of Time Attack. They also recommended I go smaller on the FSB. So right now stock is back in. I hope I don't have the same results as the video

I have not taken the car out since the new set up.

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

Crap that looks terrible!

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
The HR 26mm front on soft paired with the HR 24mm on stiff seems to be a well balanced setup with a fair amount of reduction in understeer and just enough lift off rotation without being dangerous.

who128

Ready to race!
WOW, I just saw the video. That just looks crazy unstable! So what FSB/RSB combination do you have now?

I just went back to stock front and stock rear sway bars because it gives me the most confidence. I use 6/8 damper settings on my PSS10s and run 34/36 hot PSI. Camber F -2.6/R -1.5 and 0 Toe all around.
Also, if you were wondering what tires. Direzza Z2s 225/40/18

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
I just went back to stock front and stock rear sway bars because it gives me the most confidence. I use 6/8 damper settings on my PSS10s and run 34/36 hot PSI. Camber F -2.6/R -1.5 and 0 Toe all around.

You should really try to lower tire pressure to 28/30 warm. I run the same tires and I feel like there's more grip with just adjusting the tire pressure.

onefastGTI1

Ready to race!
If you're running a bigger bar at the rear and the stock one up front you probably want to upgrade the front one as well (like theclutch says). A big rear bar and stock up front works for autocross, but it can get weird at higher speeds.

My suspension is still stock and even with ESP I can tell that the car wants to rotate more than the nannies will allow, but I've never been surprised by it.

THIS.

some people don't get it, just because it works on the street doesn't mean it will work on the track. I actually got a faster lap time on my Hotchkis M/M than M/Hard

who128

Ready to race!
You should really try to lower tire pressure to 28/30 warm. I run the same tires and I feel like there's more grip with just adjusting the tire pressure.

idk man. i checked my pyrometer and the tire temp was all close to each other with my current setup.

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
THIS.

some people don't get it, just because it works on the street doesn't mean it will work on the track. I actually got a faster lap time on my Hotchkis M/M than M/Hard

Yea I really need to get back on the track. The 28mm front was too much. Need to figure out what to throw in to match the 24mm rear now.

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie

I wanted to add a data point to the oversteer RSB thread. I installed the Neuspeed 28mm hollow rear sway bars. I set it to soft which represents 202% increase over the stock RSB.

Sway Bar Rate:
- Forward Hole: 202% increase over stock GTI 21.7mm bar.
- Rearward Hole: 268% increase over stock GTI 21.7mm bar.

We ran at Club Motorsports where it rained the first day and the second day was dry. I did NOT get any oversteer at all (and I tried). I ran Hankook Ventus EVO12 Z rated tires with tire pressures at 38psi cold all around (mfg suggested setting). Suspension is completely stock (except for the RSB) with stock camber settings. The car was still more on the understeer side. I believe I need to set it to 268% to get more oversteer characteristics.

On your setup, I think the issue may be your camber setting and tire pressure settings. If you say you normally run 6/8 on your Bilstein PSS10's on stock sway bars and 6/3 with the 034 would give you understeer, what happened when you went 6/4 with the 034? I think it's a beautiful thing that you have the fully adjustable Bilsteins!