GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 with stock clutch ?

fkshtup

Ready to race!
I'm at 98k miles now and stage 2 for 60,000ish miles and clutch still doesn't slip haha.

v.b

Ready to race!
I'm at 98k miles now and stage 2 for 60,000ish miles and clutch still doesn't slip haha.

Warmer temps may be causing less torque - possibly the reason why it hasn't. I went to stage 2 in the summer, no issue with the clutch until cool temps started setting in. Who knows..

brobst

Go Kart Champion
All of this is at WOT. What about half throttle? Are you still seeing slipping? Because if I don't WOT all the time I am curious how the stock clutch would hold up.

itzsleepy

Go Kart Newbie
Going on close to 10k. Stage 2 with stock clutch. It really depends on the driving style that you do. Again there are many people who needed to change the clutch and there quite a few who didn't.

fkshtup

Ready to race!
Warmer temps may be causing less torque - possibly the reason why it hasn't. I went to stage 2 in the summer, no issue with the clutch until cool temps started setting in. Who knows..

Well I lived in Denver for a while too so I dunno man it's weird it slipped when I got tuned and it stopped within a few days.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
I knew i was probably going to need a new clutch when i went stage 2 at 8000 miles. But i look at that as a good thing. Ask anybody on here what the biggest problem with the gti is and they will likely say: "lack of power and clutch." Clutch just feels weak man

So i planned on changing both when i went with the tune. Clutch held for about 15k miles on stage 2 power. Never launched the car but definitely got on it.

GeorgeHill

Ready to race!
I don't know how people still debate this issue! Jezusssssss

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eddd

Ready to race!
I got to stage 2 for 2k miles,, my car current at 12k miles. Daily driving have no issues but when you full throttle on 4th+ gears it'll slip a bit,, for some reason my 6th gear seem to grab harder than 4th and 5th, lol.

sgtmatt

Passed Driver's Ed
The factory clutch is not reliable at all stage two and beyond. Destroyed mine by 28,000 at stage two+ and I'm not an aggressive driver (now and then). I bought a South Bend stage III daily which is more than enough... But sounds like a giant deuce and a half truck when slowing (not much damping) if you can get past that I'd recommend it. While you are in there you should seriously consider a limited slip differential since it is highly labor-intensive to put in the clutch

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
Why people go WOT in 6th gear at 70mph confuzzles me. One or two simple rev matches and zooom

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Why people go WOT in 6th gear at 70mph confuzzles me. One or two simple rev matches and zooom

Because with 250wtq it's not necessary to "simply" rev-match upshift once or twice to pull. This isn't a Honda. bro. :lol:

butchered by autocorrecr

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Because with 250wtq it's not necessary to "simply" rev-match upshift once or twice to pull. This isn't a Honda. bro. :lol:

butchered by autocorrecr

Exactly. If I wanted to use 3rd gear on the highway I would have bought a civic.

20k on stock clutch (stage 2 at 6k)
10k on RSR

There is 2 factors that has not been discussed:
1) I am not sure if everyone know what a slipping clutch feels like (if its not slipping too bad)
2) Weather/temperature.

My OEM clutch was holding really strong in hot/warm weather, mine would only slip on cold winter days (I am in Canada). I have stage 2 and 2k+ is not worth it for 2, but stage 1 would most likely slip too if you experience cold weather.

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
I've been driving for 17 years and never have I heard of anyone on this planet Rev matching until I joined this forum.