GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY DSG Fluid change tips and tricks

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Just finished doing this an hour ago. Decided to also replace the DSG pan and gasket. Oil was actually leaking from inside the connector. Too much fluid refill from previous DSG oil change can possibly be the culprit.....if I remember reading somewhere.

Anyhow......
Not sure if it has been mentioned but to speed up the oil fill up, remove the circular screen of the funnel. This is using the top fill method.
1. Unscrew the plastic container portion and you will see the screen.
2. Use a small mechanical screwdriver to remove the black o-ring gasket and then the screen.
3. Put everything back (minus screen) and that's it. You will notice it starts slowly at first but the DSG oil will drain faster than before.

I ended up using 4.7L of Genuine VW DSG oil. All you have to do is leave about 300mL left in the last bottle (out of 5 bottles).

Last edited:

rmetanes

Passed Driver's Ed
Just a question guys. I have had my DSG changed by the dealer as part of its maintenance plan.

My DSG tune wasnt too happy with it and I decided to flush out and reuse Motul DCTF that I had in before(really does have cooler temps).

I drained out 5.5L :yikes: Thats how much the dealer had used. I had all four corners of my car on jack stands and used a spirit level on the box to achieve a flush position. I filled up 5L of Motul, started the car, went through each gear slowly and pausing, waitinf for the temps to hit 35/36 degrees celsius, and then opened the drain hole. I waited for the overflow to come down to a drip and then I closed it. I measured the excess oil, was 500ML. So provided I did this correctly, my trans takes 4.5L and VW had overfilled by almost a full liter.

My question is, with such a large difference in quantity, should I assume the 4.5 to be correct. I topped it of to 4.7L just because I feared it may be slightly underfilled, but now I wonder if Im doing any harm by having that extra 200ml in

Hi guys,
Where I live, there is a huge argument about the OEM DSG fluid vs other fluids.
Almost all the gti owners don't want to take any risks so every one is using VW OEM fluid which costs about 50USD per litre. thats crazy I know!! Motul or Castorl cost about third the price.

Me like others who have been threat to use anything but OEM fluid. Why? No one wants to take any risk or have any trouble with thier DSG! So I'm about to spend about 250USD on OWM fluid. :mad:

Can any one confirm 100% that there is no diiference? Which fluid is better? Is it only fiction that OWM fluid is better?

Thanks for your help.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Hi guys,
Where I live, there is a huge argument about the OEM DSG fluid vs other fluids.
Almost all the gti owners don't want to take any risks so every one is using VW OEM fluid which costs about 50USD per litre. thats crazy I know!! Motul or Castorl cost about third the price.

Me like others who have been threat to use anything but OEM fluid. Why? No one wants to take any risk or have any trouble with thier DSG! So I'm about to spend about 250USD on OWM fluid. :mad:

Can any one confirm 100% that there is no diiference? Which fluid is better? Is it only fiction that OWM fluid is better?

Thanks for your help.

I've been using Motul or Liqui Moly DSG oil since 40k (Changed at 70k and 100k), without any issues. What applies to engine oil, applies to DSG oil...VW recommends Castrol 5w-40 but that doesn't mean it's the only oil you can use. Just makes sure it's VW spec, change every 40k, and you'll be fine.

In your case, I would go Motul over Castrol.

rmetanes

Passed Driver's Ed
wow, that really comforts me. What about the Filter, does it have to be OEM or MAN is also OK?
REgarding VW's recommendation, is it written anywhere as a proof I can show to my local Mechanic?
Finally Why Motul over Castrol?

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
wow, that really comforts me. What about the Filter, does it have to be OEM or MAN is also OK?
REgarding VW's recommendation, is it written anywhere as a proof I can show to my local Mechanic?
Finally Why Motul over Castrol?

- If I recall correctly Mann actually supplies the OEM filter for the DSG. Mann is a trusted brand from Germany, so no issues there. I've use Mann oil filters for the engine all the time.

- VW recommendations should be written in the VW handbook you have with your car and it should be written on the oil bottle itself. For example: "Motul Multi DCTF meets VAG G052182 standards"

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-motul-p.../103910~mot/?gclid=COn_6tDeodICFQ65wAodYK4COw

And here is a list of other brand DSG fluid you can go with:

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Maintenance/Drivetrain/Transmission/Fluid/DSG/

- Motul over Castrol is honestly just a personal preference. Either one would be fine because they are both trusted names.

Uberryan

Banned
Bumping an older thread, but I did a fluid change today on my DSG. Used Febi Bilstein fluid which is approved. However, upon following a DIY, I was told the temperature needs to be between 35-45C on VCDS but mine is reading into the 60's. I opened the drain plug while sitting flat, and only got drops out. I'm assuming the correct level of fluid is in there, but why is it running this hot?

Jet08

Ready to race!
There is a difference between the temperature that provides the correct volume and the operating temperature of the transmission fluid, the max temp is 95 degrees C, I would expect 60 C after a drive greater than 20 minutes and an ambient temp over 25 C.

Uberryan

Banned
Ah so I'm seemingly ok then. I live in hot and humid SoFlo, so that may be the cause. It seems to be working fine, but I might add a little more fluid tomorrow, since I think I might've lost a little bit yesterday due to not tightening down the drain plug.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Picked up LiquiMoly fluid + filter for $76 shipped. Going to tackle this over the weekend with the top fill method.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Picked up LiquiMoly fluid + filter for $76 shipped. Going to tackle this over the weekend with the top fill method.

It's so easy with the top fill method.

Main tip to speed up the filling process...When using the "Flotool 10704" funnel, remove the small metal grate. It'll allow the oil to flow quicker through the funnel. Also, use a 16.9 oz Poland Spring water bottle to measure out the 0.3L out of the 5L of DSG fluid. 0.3L on the water bottle is right at the bottom line of the label.

Jaber

Modero

Main tip to speed up the filling process...When using the "Flotool 10704" funnel, remove the small metal grate. It'll allow the oil to flow quicker through the funnel. Also, use a 16.9 oz Poland Spring water bottle to measure out the 0.3L out of the 5L of DSG fluid. 0.3L on the water bottle is right at the bottom line of the label.

The funnel I used kept closing itself, so I had to hold it the entire time :laugh: After 10min of the fluid not moving, I was like.. da heck. So if you don't see it going down, make sure the funnel didn't close.

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Weather was great today for mid/late January and was able to get an oil change + DSG flush cranked out in a little over 1.5hrs, including a trip to Home Depot for the 14mm.

'preciate the tips. Used both and couldn't have gone smoother. Left the fluid in the sun for a little to warm and it filled relatively quick. No where near 45min like i've read...maybe half that.

Its an easy DIY and a great way to save some bucks. I paid my shop $180, fluid/filter included, last time since i didn't want to be bothered. They quoted me $350 this time around. Wasn't having that. Cost me $84 to DIY. $76 for LiquiMoly fluid + filter, and $8 for the 14mm

Thank You DSGVW

Hi folks,

I just thought I would report back and give you a newbies thoughts on their first DSG fluid change.

I was very worried about changing the fluid in my wife’s Passat DSG transmission until I hit on this forum. The Passat has 123K on the clock and had never had a service. I was worried changing the fluid would cause problems.

After reading here and following links to excellent resources I now understand the DSG works less like a normal auto trans and more like a motorcycle trans since it uses wet clutches. I now felt confident I wasn’t going to ruin it by replacing the oil.

I purchased a kit with Motul oil, filter, o-ring, and crush washer for $120.00 and set aside a day this weekend so I could take my time. After reading it seems the measure and replace method was the easiest. I let the car sit overnight figuring I would measure the cold drain oil and replace with the same amount of cold oil. This may have made the oil drain a bit slower, but it still didn’t take long.

When the drain was done I measured exactly 4.7 quarts. Before measuring I took two empty bottles and marked the 4quart level on one and 1 quart on the other. I filled the 4 quart jug and put the rest into the other. It filled to below the 1 quart line I had marked, and I guessed it was at .7 quarts. I took my first bottle of fluid and topped off the jug up to the 1 quart line. Now I had the exact amount of fresh oil ready to go back in. The oil that came out was absolutely black, but I saw no particulates and none settled in the jugs after filling them.

The top fill method was easy if you can turn a wrench. It does take time to fill, wait, fill, wait, so while I waited I did a motor oil change. Both oil changes took me about 3 hours since I really took my time.

After everything was wrapped up I started the car and cycled through the the gears, pausing at each one I did this 2 or three times and went for a drive to get thing up to temperature. I noticed immediately the car was shifting silky smooth, almost imperceptible. I had forgotten how great a transmission the DSG is and I would say it is shifting like new again. The whole process was a fun learning experience and I’m very happy with the results.

So thanks again for the excellent thread and happy motoring

gavinfla

What was the total cost of this?

Theirs always an investment when you take on any project like this, the 5L of liqui Molly & filter & O-ring cost me 76.95 and the 14 mm Allen bit (1/2 drive) 7.31$ and 24 mm (1/2 drive) 8.05$ The funnel fill kit was 29.95$. The rest of the tools I have lik; jack stands, floor jack, VDS you have to pick up these tools along the way when your car breaks down. Motor oil change 150$, 40K tranny is around 460$, if the don’t find anything else as you 100 buck for the scan. Wheel speed sensor are 350$ each to replace. The dealers will pick you clean over a period of five years.
And on top of it all, all the damage on my car was done by the dealer apprenticeship, they change top dollar but they don’t pay for good mechanics.