GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BIG TIRE PROBLEM

Dannyan15

Okay idk if this is just me being extremely bad at driving, but I need help.

So in the Northern VA/ DC area... the roads can be absolute shittttt.

I have blown 5 tires due to potholes alone in the past 3 years, not including once for glass. once on a nail, and once on a tiedown hook for trucks.

I was thinking about a couple options and would like to see if they are at all feasible or any other suggestions.

A) buy bigger/thicker tires? ( if I do this.... I have no idea about size, or if there would be any rubbing in the wheel well or anything)

B) just buy some expensive ass tires that go forever? ( would rather Spend more than keep having this problem)

If there are any suggestions you guys have.

P.S: I will be driving this car for the forseeable future. Eventually do ECU upgrades, exaust, intake , lighter wheels etc

clownish

just clowning around
Also if you have the stock Pirelli P Nero tires, I personally think those are garbage. I killed two of those in two years, after never having any problems with low profile tires in over ten years with other cars. Thank god I did buy the wheel and tire insurance, because it paid for itself.

Hence forth I've used any number of low treadlife aggressive summer tires and have had zero problems. Get rid of any stock tires is my advice.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Also if you have the stock Pirelli P Nero tires, I personally think those are garbage. I killed two of those in two years, after never having any problems with low profile tires in over ten years with other cars. Thank god I did buy the wheel and tire insurance, because it paid for itself.

Hence forth I've used any number of low treadlife aggressive summer tires and have had zero problems. Get rid of any stock tires is my advice.

Last month I put my stock pirellis back on while my aftermarket wheels were getting painted. Holy crap they really do suck. Normally I run michelin pilot super sports and I believe those have reinforced steel walls. The stock pirellis just felt really bouncy while the super sports are so much smoother.

Dannyan15

Swap your wheels out for a 17" so you can run a bigger sidewall tire. I had the same problem living in chicago. Problem went away once I ditched the 18's for 17's. I run a 235/45/17 tire now with them which is pretty meaty.

Well right now I have the Dunlop SP sport in the front and hankook ventus in the back.

But wont it look weird or anything with 17s? I do have the privilege of being able to spend a little bit more money... nothing absolutely crazy though.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Buy nice tires, then buy the "tire certificates for repair or replacement" from America's/Discount Tire for the ~$20/tire or whatever.....that should cover you next time & give you peace of mind

Now if you're bending/damaging wheels too....then you seriously might want to consider going down to 17's as well