GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Made A Stupid Mistake - Battery Content, Help!

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I checked out the multi fuse and this is what I see:

Front:

Back:

Looks like the whole unit is soldered together. I’m gonna look up the part number and see how much a replacement is. Not even sure if the fuses are blown

Presumably there would be some sort of obvious damage if a fuse had blown but that may not be the case? I’ll take a look in ELSAWIN to see if it gives any details, also from searching the web I have read that indeed the alternator could be damaged so you need to check if the battery is receiving a charge when the car is running as one of the first steps if only to rule it out! you won’t know which path to take unless you find the problem first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Very true. I feel like I should start with these fuses. I'll pick up a multi-meter on my next trip to autozone.

I just actually shook the multi fuse around and I do hear something rattling around inside so maybe something is shot in it.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I can't find a replacement part for the above set of fuses. Went to NAPA and Advanced Auto; thought it would be a long shot and it was... they were useless.

I'm going to call the dealer/visit them tomorrow to see if they have this part. If not then I'm going to tow it to an indy shop probably.

If its a major repair... like $2-3k I am going to highly consider selling it and return to the car scene again when I have my own place with enough space and the proper tools. I can't have 2 cars in my current living situation and I'm trying to save for a house. So I can't keep having situations like this happen. Thus removing a performance car from my life right now may prove to be beneficial. But lets hope this somehow turns into an easy fix.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I can't find a replacement part for the above set of fuses. Went to NAPA and Advanced Auto; thought it would be a long shot and it was... they were useless.

I'm going to call the dealer/visit them tomorrow to see if they have this part. If not then I'm going to tow it to an indy shop probably.

If its a major repair... like $2-3k I am going to highly consider selling it and return to the car scene again when I have my own place with enough space and the proper tools. I can't have 2 cars in my current living situation and I'm trying to save for a house. So I can't keep having situations like this happen. Thus removing a performance car from my life right now may prove to be beneficial. But lets hope this somehow turns into an easy fix.

Your comment reads as if the car is at fault whereas the problem was of your doing!

Why don’t you just test for a circuit across each fuse before replacement? If a fuse has gone try and source a whole second hand fuse box from Ebay as the part will be included as it’s probably not available separately, I still think the issue is the alternator! Wether it be failed or getting no power, you’re going about this the wrong way and should probably have someone else look in to it for you.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I am happy to report that it was the multi fuse. Went down to the vw dealership and bought a new one for $37. Hooked it up, put the old battery back in and jumped the car.

All the lights went away and the power steering light was yellow and not red. I had power steering... locked the wheel left and right and that light went away.

Now I’m back to my original CEL for the SAI. I’m going to Napa right now to buy a trickle charger to charge my new battery back to full. Then I will plop that in and make damn well sure I don’t mix up the connections again.

I let my nerves get the best of me there. I kept it hearing “ you may have fried your ECM/instrument cluster/alternator and really got worried that this was gonna be an expensive fix for such a stupid mistake.

Carlosfandango- I want to personally thank you for helping me out. I would not have found that multi-fuse any other way. And your trouble shooting was much needed. So THANK YOU.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
I am happy to report that it was the multi fuse. Went down to the vw dealership and bought a new one for $37. Hooked it up, put the old battery back in and jumped the car.

All the lights went away and the power steering light was yellow and not red. I had power steering... locked the wheel left and right and that light went away.

Now I’m back to my original CEL for the SAI. I’m going to Napa right now to buy a trickle charger to charge my new battery back to full. Then I will plop that in and make damn well sure I don’t mix up the connections again.

I let my nerves get the best of me there. I kept it hearing “ you may have fried your ECM/instrument cluster/alternator and really got worried that this was gonna be an expensive fix for such a stupid mistake.

Carlosfandango- I want to personally thank you for helping me out. I would not have found that multi-fuse any other way. And your trouble shooting was much needed. So THANK YOU.

No problem, Glad to help, I thought it was a good chance that those fuses had blown as they are in line before the accessory fuses, luckily they saved everything from damage as sometimes that’s not the case, many would have just taken the car to a shop and payed through the nose for those fuses so it’s worth doing a bit of research! Take your time next time your changing the battery [emoji23]

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
No problem, Glad to help, I thought it was a good chance that those fuses had blown as they are in line before the accessory fuses, luckily they saved everything from damage as sometimes that’s not the case, many would have just taken the car to a shop and payed through the nose for those fuses so it’s worth doing a bit of research! Take your time next time your changing the battery [emoji23]

Glad this has a happy ending, and I've definitely filed this away in my brain for future reference for apparent electrical gremlins.

MKVInnie

Passed Driver's Ed
Damn that is fantastic news. Seems like you were on the edge of ditching the GTI altogether, I'm glad got it worked out. Congrats on solving this and not giving up!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Also; thank you thatspsychotic for the help as well!

I really do enjoy working on my car and try to fix as much myself as I can. I just hate it when I make things worse and then my car is down for a couple days because of it. I used a vacation day today to fix this thing. If this last set of fuses didnt fix the issue I was going to tow it to a shop. Soooo glad I didn't need to.

I may attempt putting the 15lb battery back in my car tonight....... this time I won't screw it up! its still charging on the trickle charger but I'm thinking its almost done.

And Volkswagens have been known to have electrical gremlins... I hate it. I had a bunch of mk4's before this mk6. Every month it seemed like 1 of the tail lights would blow out. The same 1 each time. Windows had a mind of their own too. I dislike volkswagens electronics but it seems to have gotten better throughout the years.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I've also sheared a brake line on my old mk4 R32 when I was doing the pads and rotors. Ended up towing it to a shop for them to repair. At the time I was too afraid to touch the brake lines but this past summer I did SS lines on this mk6 and was kicking myself because of how easy thay are to do.

You live and you learn, right?

Fantastic news indeed, MKVInnie! - thank you too.