GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noises from the GTI

demon342

Ready to race!
I've never seen/heard this anywhere else so I decided to post it here. Very simple situation, when I'm engine braking I hear this very loud ticking, its barley noticeable in the cab but on the outside must be loud because its most noticeable with the windows down obviously. Now I shouldn't really say engine braking but when it occurs I'm in gear and off the throttle, as soon as I'm out of gear it stops. I've described the noise as a mountain bike chain noise when they make that ticking (I don't ride bikes so I have no idea what causes that noise on a bike) to people and they completely agree that its mainly dead on to that noise. No CEL or anything else while this occurs, car operates just as normal. Now if this is normal (which I suspect its not) then I feel stupid and please point it out if not then go ahead with the assumptions. I've tried recording it but between road noise and general engine noise it was hard to pick up the sound, I might be able to do it from a stand still today.

The second noise is a grinding / knocking noise purely clutch related. It's most noticeable at idle on the first start of the day, I've heard this noise on other youtube videos and main causes are claimed by the thrush bearing. Once I push in the clutch pedal its gone. Its super noticeable from the outside, I haven't tried to record it since I've seen it in videos before, if needed I can link to the videos. I also notice that once the car warms up the noise goes away but its still slightly there no matter if the car is at operating temps or not.

Car has 139800 miles (just hit on my way into work :happyanim: ) a homemade CAI (PO), charge pipes, and a BSH throttle pipe.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I've never seen/heard this anywhere else so I decided to post it here. Very simple situation, when I'm engine braking I hear this very loud ticking, its barley noticeable in the cab but on the outside must be loud because its most noticeable with the windows down obviously. Now I shouldn't really say engine braking but when it occurs I'm in gear and off the throttle, as soon as I'm out of gear it stops. I've described the noise as a mountain bike chain noise when they make that ticking (I don't ride bikes so I have no idea what causes that noise on a bike) to people and they completely agree that its mainly dead on to that noise. No CEL or anything else while this occurs, car operates just as normal. Now if this is normal (which I suspect its not) then I feel stupid and please point it out if not then go ahead with the assumptions. I've tried recording it but between road noise and general engine noise it was hard to pick up the sound, I might be able to do it from a stand still today.

The second noise is a grinding / knocking noise purely clutch related. It's most noticeable at idle on the first start of the day, I've heard this noise on other youtube videos and main causes are claimed by the thrush bearing. Once I push in the clutch pedal its gone. Its super noticeable from the outside, I haven't tried to record it since I've seen it in videos before, if needed I can link to the videos. I also notice that once the car warms up the noise goes away but its still slightly there no matter if the car is at operating temps or not.

Car has 139800 miles (just hit on my way into work :happyanim: ) a homemade CAI (PO), charge pipes, and a BSH throttle pipe.

If I had to guess I'd say it could be the dual-mass flywheel, but that might be because we've had a few threads pretty recently describing DMF issues, myself included. I'm at 145k miles and just had the DMF replaced, and it quieted down idle and made a bunch of driveability improvements (DSG-related).

Might be time to bite the bullet and do your clutch/flywheel/RMS/thrust bearing at the same time, should clear all those things up. Those items have almost all shared labor, so it makes sense to do at the same time. Be prepared for the neighborhood of $2k though, that was my bill for flywheel and RMS plus a couple misc. items.

demon342

Ready to race!
If I had to guess I'd say it could be the dual-mass flywheel, but that might be because we've had a few threads pretty recently describing DMF issues, myself included. I'm at 145k miles and just had the DMF replaced, and it quieted down idle and made a bunch of driveability improvements (DSG-related).

Might be time to bite the bullet and do your clutch/flywheel/RMS/thrust bearing at the same time, should clear all those things up. Those items have almost all shared labor, so it makes sense to do at the same time. Be prepared for the neighborhood of $2k though, that was my bill for flywheel and RMS plus a couple misc. items.

I've actually replaced the RMS but its leaking again and its gotten worse because I keep putting it off but its only been a week or so, when the RMS was replaced so was the clutch but not the flywheel, I think after the RMS is finally completed I'm gonna get the flywheel and thrust bearing replaced be a reliable repair shop. The current one is a little ify and was recommended by the dealership I purchased the car from. not a vw dealer. Thanks for the info tho!

demon342

Ready to race!

I see that your from west mass, where did you get your RMS, thrust bearing etc, done? If you dont mind me asking

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
I see that your from west mass, where did you get your RMS, thrust bearing etc, done? If you dont mind me asking

I live in the Springfield area but I went up to Greenfield Auto, guys there are pretty chill and have seen and done a lot of RMS jobs, particularly on Tiguans. Was recommended to check them out by a coworker. They are also going to do my LCA bushings and install the Tyrolsport subframe collars.

If you didn't last time, definitely replace your PCV or get a catch can this time for the RMS, since that is the primary cause of RMS failure. They ended up getting me a new flywheel for $530ish, and they indicated to me that it had excessive play once they had the transmission off the car and could take a look. Since you have similar mileage as me I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same issue, assuming you drive a bit like I do :)

demon342

Ready to race!
For anyone paying attention to this thread cars currently in the shop for the timing chain tensioner, cross fingers this fixes the bicycle chain noise

demon342

Ready to race!
Those hissing sound under boost? Happened on me many years ago due to torn off downpipe gasket.

Sent from my LEX626 using Tapatalk

Hissing sound when I let off the throttle

demon342

Ready to race!
For anyone reading this thread in the future, the issue was the wastegate. My mechanic said he adjusted it but the real fix would be to replace the whole turbo unfortunately. Although after his adjustments I'm not hearing the noise at all.