GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Downpipe - resonator delete?

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Maybe a dumb question, but want to make sure. I have an AWE downpipe on my car now and want to delete the resonator for a deeper sound and hopefully allow some more flow. It's a 2.5'' pipe mated w/ a Magnaflow 2.5'' catback.

What parts are needed for the delete? I can use a Sawzall to delete the resonator section, but the O2 sensor is pretty close to it. I do not want to take the dp off for this.

Do I need (2) 2.5'' exhaust clamps and a 2.5'' exhaust pipe section?
What parts would you guys use?

not my pic (resonator furthest from turbo, cat is closest)

Thank you.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
no increase in flow whatsoever. bad idea really. you can probably sell that downpipe before its ruined and buy a brand new one without resonator with the money.

thats my garage.

simpson110

Ready to race!
^ this, but if you really want to do that you could get a couple oem clamps and a piece of 2.5" pipe and clamp it in. Best bet would be to weld it in be would be tricky with it on the car.

But I would sell that pipe and get something else just because.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the input.

Well, deleting the RES will just make a catted down-pipe, like many aftermarket options out there. I'm not worried about decreasing the value of it by doing this though. I don't plan getting rid of it anytime soon.

My concerns/benefits:
  • Parts needed (clamps, connector pipe (?), etc.
  • Deeper more aggressive tone
  • Possibly free more flow (restrictions now: Cat, Res, Muffler, 2.5'' piping)

simpson110

Ready to race!
Like 2013R said you won't gain anything from removing it just a different sound. It will probably be less deep and rumbly, and most raspy and harsh. The resonator kind scavenges the lost engine sounds and makes them more pronounced, while toning down the high pitched sounds.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
Like 2013R said you won't gain anything from removing it just a different sound. It will probably be less deep and rumbly, and most raspy and harsh. The resonator kind scavenges the lost engine sounds and makes them more pronounced, while toning down the high pitched sounds.

People remove their resonators all the time on the stock cat-back for a more aggressive sound, so what is the difference on the down-pipe section? The resonator location is not far off. FYI I have the Magnaflow cat-back. Thanks.

sta626

Ready to race!
People remove their resonators all the time on the stock cat-back for a more aggressive sound, so what is the difference on the down-pipe section? The resonator location is not far off. FYI I have the Magnaflow cat-back. Thanks.

i have the awe downpipe and awe cat back and it sounds really good... you should just leave it and install it the way it is... it should be a good sound when you go into high rpms

goose1

Ready to race!
An exhaust shop would probably cut it off and weld in some pipe for say $40-$60 and call it a day, or you could get some exhaust tubing, some clamps, and a sawzall and have at it.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
i have the awe downpipe and awe cat back and it sounds really good... you should just leave it and install it the way it is... it should be a good sound when you go into high rpms
It sounds good, but want it louder. Just thought the res del would be a good move. Maybe I'll contact AWE.

An exhaust shop would probably cut it off and weld in some pipe for say $40-$60 and call it a day, or you could get some exhaust tubing, some clamps, and a sawzall and have at it.
Probably take it to a shop then for under 100.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Did you end up doing the resonator delete?

Just letting you know the OP hasnt logged in to here in over a month.. so it may be awhile if he ever does reply. Try sending him a private message and if he logs back in he will be notified of the message and this way he can more directly respond to you.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
don't have the GTI anymore, so not on here anymore... sorry. POS blew up (timing chain tensioner) so have a 4Runner now.

I did not do a res delete and I'm glad I didn't. Better off selling it and buying another DP. These cost way too much to cut up when you can sell/trade to someone who is looking for something different.

DarienMidnight

Ready to race!
don't have the GTI anymore, so not on here anymore... sorry. POS blew up (timing chain tensioner) so have a 4Runner now.

I did not do a res delete and I'm glad I didn't. Better off selling it and buying another DP. These cost way too much to cut up when you can sell/trade to someone who is looking for something different.

Did u file a lawsuit ? How did u go about ..after the timing chain tensioner went up on u?