GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boxster BBK OEM-ish Build

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
A guesstimate on the total cost so far?

Calipers + brackets + Lines + Pads + Paint + ???

I don't know whether I should even bother with a larger caliper instead of just better pads/fresh rotors.

By comparison a similar Golf R / R32 front "BBK" conversion with bigger rotors & notably larger pad area (and unsprung weight ofc) is roughly $800 in a materials alone (if you add the larger shields too, no fluids).

An all-around slotted rotor & more serious pad upgrade with OEM calipers is $360ish, (again no fluids)...lighter and almost no chance of messing up with F/R bias.

Put the rest towards a lighter set of wheels if my pocket burns still...oh, them choices...

[/self-psychoanalysis]

Roctre

Ready to race!
A guesstimate on the total cost so far?

Calipers + brackets + Lines + Pads + Paint + ???

I don't know whether I should even bother with a larger caliper instead of just better pads/fresh rotors.

By comparison a similar Golf R / R32 front "BBK" conversion with bigger rotors & notably larger pad area (and unsprung weight ofc) is roughly $800 in a materials alone (if you add the larger shields too, no fluids).

An all-around slotted rotor & more serious pad upgrade with OEM calipers is $360ish, (again no fluids)...lighter and almost no chance of messing up with F/R bias.

Put the rest towards a lighter set of wheels if my pocket burns still...oh, them choices...

[/self-psychoanalysis]
So for just the boxster upgrade since i'm doing more than that it was $250ish for calipers $100 for the lines and banjo which I found out later I could have done it for about $60 then $150 for the brackets and $73 for stoptech pads and it would be around $40 for the g2 paint kit. So all in im at $613 give or take a few bucks but i'm doing new rotors, pads, and lines all around so add about another $450 to that and thats my total.

WolfsburgSlim

Well something shitty just happened to me. I was putting the brackets on the calipers and I guess i didn't prep well enough or the VHT isn't that good but the paint just chipped and flaked right off on a cardboard box so now i'm going to have to redo them and just go with G2 like I should of in the first place. So looks like i'm waiting till the first week of may when i'm done with school so I can take some days off and just do all the calipers at once.

That sucks, that really, really sucks. I feel your pain. I may still powder coat mines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WolfsburgSlim

Buy the OEM vibration dampers. It gets rid of all of the noise you're talking about. I ran these for around 3 years, had the loud noise pretty quickly, bought the dampers, never had noise again. Ever. And I ran pretty aggressive pads.

I had the oem dampers on my setup and they were still pretty obnoxiously loud

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So for just the boxster upgrade since i'm doing more than that it was $250ish for calipers $100 for the lines and banjo which I found out later I could have done it for about $60 then $150 for the brackets and $73 for stoptech pads and it would be around $40 for the g2 paint kit. So all in im at $613 give or take a few bucks but i'm doing new rotors, pads, and lines all around so add about another $450 to that and thats my total.

This is such a great bargain for a brake upgrade I'm having a really difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that there isn't more competition for brackets. With just one manufacturer setting the price it seems like a good opportunity for somebody else to come in at less.

The part isn't even beyond what a 16 year old could make in a high school metal shop. If cheap benchtop mills weren't so expensive I'd make my own.

Roctre

Ready to race!
This is such a great bargain for a brake upgrade I'm having a really difficult time wrapping my head around the idea that there isn't more competition for brackets. With just one manufacturer setting the price it seems like a good opportunity for somebody else to come in at less.

The part isn't even beyond what a 16 year old could make in a high school metal shop. If cheap benchtop mills weren't so expensive I'd make my own.

I'm in school atm for machining and now that I have them it would be easy to remake them. Plus it isn't just one manufacturer its just Creation is the cheapest one but you have a 4-6 week wait to get them due to US customs.

clownish

just clowning around
As long as they are precise and made out of the proper materials - I don't want to screw around with brakes messing up. The most work goes into ensuring the fitment is precise.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I'm in school atm for machining and now that I have them it would be easy to remake them. Plus it isn't just one manufacturer its just Creation is the cheapest one but you have a 4-6 week wait to get them due to US customs.

This is true, I forgot about that option. I wonder why none of the parts resellers that specialize in VWs doesn't order a batch of those in bulk to sell in the US.

As long as they are precise and made out of the proper materials - I don't want to screw around with brakes messing up. The most work goes into ensuring the fitment is precise.

My first instinct would be to match the brake calipers' materials, but the calipers and the hub/spindles aren't the same anyway..... or at least I assume that it's true that the calipers aren't the same material as the Boxster hubs. So if you want to be absolutely sure that it's not going to fall apart, use one flavor of steel or another. Admittedly I'd need to do more research on materials and what's best.

Measurements for precise fitment isn't really a huge hurdle.

webbry4

Ready to race!
I was actually sent a CAD file for these from another forum member you made his brackets. PM me your emails if you want it. On another note, dying for this to be installed.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I was actually sent a CAD file for these from another forum member you made his brackets. PM me your emails if you want it. On another note, dying for this to be installed.

Nice, I'd love to see that.

I've also spent a few minutes reading and I'm mostly convinced that the Apikol piece is pretty high quality. They went with an identified flavor of steel and it looks like they used the extra strength offered to whittle it down to the smallest amount of material possible.

I've seen forged aluminum recommended on other forums for other cars and other applications. The point being that aluminum weighs less and unless you're trying to modify a tank, steel is overkill, but I'm guessing that Apikol's brackets will outlast the rest of the car. I guess it could be worth the peace of mind in knowing that it's extremely unlikely that the brackets would fail, and being steel would make them more difficult to strip.

WolfsburgSlim

Nice, I'd love to see that.

I've also spent a few minutes reading and I'm mostly convinced that the Apikol piece is pretty high quality. They went with an identified flavor of steel and it looks like they used the extra strength offered to whittle it down to the smallest amount of material possible.

I've seen forged aluminum recommended on other forums for other cars and other applications. The point being that aluminum weighs less and unless you're trying to modify a tank, steel is overkill, but I'm guessing that Apikol's brackets will outlast the rest of the car. I guess it could be worth the peace of mind in knowing that it's extremely unlikely that the brackets would fail, and being steel would make them more difficult to strip.

I got the Apikol brackets. They're legit. They're stainless steel or at least appear that way. I had this kit on my car for 10k miles. It was actually hard to activate abs even with hard stops the brakes were so competent.

They maintained their Shine even after I took them off the car

WolfsburgSlim

I got the Apikol brackets. They're legit. They're stainless steel or at least appear that way. I had this kit on my car for 10k miles. It was actually hard to activate abs even with hard stops the brakes were so competent.

They maintained their Shine even after I took them off the car