GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 04-16-2017, 11:20 PM   #85
Short Bus
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roctre View Post
I'm in school atm for machining and now that I have them it would be easy to remake them. Plus it isn't just one manufacturer its just Creation is the cheapest one but you have a 4-6 week wait to get them due to US customs.
This is true, I forgot about that option. I wonder why none of the parts resellers that specialize in VWs doesn't order a batch of those in bulk to sell in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownish View Post
As long as they are precise and made out of the proper materials - I don't want to screw around with brakes messing up. The most work goes into ensuring the fitment is precise.
My first instinct would be to match the brake calipers' materials, but the calipers and the hub/spindles aren't the same anyway..... or at least I assume that it's true that the calipers aren't the same material as the Boxster hubs. So if you want to be absolutely sure that it's not going to fall apart, use one flavor of steel or another. Admittedly I'd need to do more research on materials and what's best.

Measurements for precise fitment isn't really a huge hurdle.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 PM   #86
webbry4
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
I was actually sent a CAD file for these from another forum member you made his brackets. PM me your emails if you want it. On another note, dying for this to be installed.
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #87
Short Bus
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbry4 View Post
I was actually sent a CAD file for these from another forum member you made his brackets. PM me your emails if you want it. On another note, dying for this to be installed.
Nice, I'd love to see that.

I've also spent a few minutes reading and I'm mostly convinced that the Apikol piece is pretty high quality. They went with an identified flavor of steel and it looks like they used the extra strength offered to whittle it down to the smallest amount of material possible.

I've seen forged aluminum recommended on other forums for other cars and other applications. The point being that aluminum weighs less and unless you're trying to modify a tank, steel is overkill, but I'm guessing that Apikol's brackets will outlast the rest of the car. I guess it could be worth the peace of mind in knowing that it's extremely unlikely that the brackets would fail, and being steel would make them more difficult to strip.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #88
WolfsburgSlim
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
Nice, I'd love to see that.

I've also spent a few minutes reading and I'm mostly convinced that the Apikol piece is pretty high quality. They went with an identified flavor of steel and it looks like they used the extra strength offered to whittle it down to the smallest amount of material possible.

I've seen forged aluminum recommended on other forums for other cars and other applications. The point being that aluminum weighs less and unless you're trying to modify a tank, steel is overkill, but I'm guessing that Apikol's brackets will outlast the rest of the car. I guess it could be worth the peace of mind in knowing that it's extremely unlikely that the brackets would fail, and being steel would make them more difficult to strip.

I got the Apikol brackets. They're legit. They're stainless steel or at least appear that way. I had this kit on my car for 10k miles. It was actually hard to activate abs even with hard stops the brakes were so competent.
They maintained their Shine even after I took them off the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 PM   #89
WolfsburgSlim
Go Kart Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgSlim View Post
I got the Apikol brackets. They're legit. They're stainless steel or at least appear that way. I had this kit on my car for 10k miles. It was actually hard to activate abs even with hard stops the brakes were so competent.
They maintained their Shine even after I took them off the car

Old 04-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #90
webbry4
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: 2012 GTI Autobahn
[quote=WolfsburgSlim;2520093]
Are you selling this lol?
webbry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 PM   #91
Roctre
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Here they are all clearcoated and pretty before they go on my car in a couple weeks

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 PM   #92
Sanderzzz
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 Stage 2+ GTI
Mine should be going on this Friday or Saturday. Been a long time coming
Old 04-23-2017, 07:28 PM   #93
Roctre
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderzzz View Post
Mine should be going on this Friday or Saturday. Been a long time coming
I would put mine on tomorrow if I had fluid to do the flush but sadly I don't and i'm waiting for my dad and I to have a day off together so he can help with the flush.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #94
Sanderzzz
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2012 Stage 2+ GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roctre View Post
I would put mine on tomorrow if I had fluid to do the flush but sadly I don't and i'm waiting for my dad and I to have a day off together so he can help with the flush.

I've got 1 L of dot4 in the mail