GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scorpion TBE Installed/Thoughts

tamz273

Ready to race!
So I finally got my Scorpion TBE on Friday, and naturally it made its way to my R Saturday morning :D I got the Catted Resonated TBE. The install took about 5 hours, a bit less. I did it with 2 buddies, and it was NOT a breeze.. Had to drop the center shaft to get the stock DP out of the engine bay.. It was NOT an easy install, and I should have done my DD before jumping into it.

As for thoughts, its just what I wanted! The car is almost stock at idle, and quite when your just doing city driving. As soon as you get on it, it roars. Almost too loud. The car pulls much better when I get on it, and I cant wait to get flashed for APRs Stage 2+!

I just got a CEL (after about 30 mins of driving), and I still have some sort of rattle coming from underneath that car. It is INSANELY annoying and I need to get it jacked up again to look at it.. Just not sure when Ill have time again..

All in all, im really happy with the pipes. Would have liked for them to be a little bit lower, but ill take what I have :)

Any thoughts about preventing the CEL? Is the 42DD bung my ONLY option?

EDIT 3 Days after install:

So all issues ironed out. No more rattle and a cleared CEL (APR Stage 2+). I LOVE this TBE! It is BARELY louder than stock when im just cruising around town. It only really gets loud when Im stepping on it, and even then its not outrageous.

I had some issues with the vaccum hose coming out a few times, but I now secured it and ziptied it in and all is well. I would recommend this TBE to everyone looking for one. The gain is pretty substantial and I felt a gain as soon as I installed it. I dont know what the numbers come to, but you can definitely feel a better air flow when you step on it.

Thanks to Matt@GMP for a great product and solid support since I've bought it!

Last edited:

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Having not seen where the existing O2 bung is, can't you just use a Spark Plug Non-Fouler that's been dremeled out? We used to do this all the time on our Evo's. Cost like $7 and just uses the existing O2 bung. No need to weld a new one in. I ran a catless Evo with this and never threw a CEL.

tamz273

Ready to race!
Interesting.. How would I get my hands on one? I was under the impression that the 42DD would screw into the existing bunge, then the o2 sensor would screw into the 42DD...?

Gyntry

Ready to race!
Make sure the straight section after the DP is turned correctly. There is a slight bend in it that you may have missed. That's my guess as to where your rattle is coming from.

tamz273

Ready to race!
I noticed the bend too.. And lined it up with the original DP.. Ended up with the logo plaque facing the passenger side.. Is that how yours lined up too?

Also, just noticed that the rattle isnt there anymore when I just stepped out of the car.. So it seems to be on and off, not constant..

Might jack it up in a couple hours to see what it may be..

AXO

Go Kart Champion
I used RAI straight o2 Sensor spacer with the middle jet. After 20 miles, my CEL was gone.

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
So I finally got my Scorpion TBE on Friday, and naturally it made its way to my R Saturday morning :D I got the Catted Resonated TBE. The install took about 5 hours, a bit less. I did it with 2 buddies, and it was NOT a breeze.. Had to drop the center shaft to get the stock DP out of the engine bay.. It was NOT an easy install, and I should have done my DD before jumping into it.

As for thoughts, its just what I wanted! The car is almost stock at idle, and quite when your just doing city driving. As soon as you get on it, it roars. Almost too loud. The car pulls much better when I get on it, and I cant wait to get flashed for APRs Stage 2+!

I just got a CEL (after about 30 mins of driving), and I still have some sort of rattle coming from underneath that car. It is INSANELY annoying and I need to get it jacked up again to look at it.. Just not sure when Ill have time again..

All in all, im really happy with the pipes. Would have liked for them to be a little bit lower, but ill take what I have :)

Any thoughts about preventing the CEL? Is the 42DD bung my ONLY option?

APR software will turn the CEL off

tamz273

Ready to race!
Thanks for the post! I got my stage 2+ flash yesterday and all's well and dandy.. Spent 30$ on a part I dont need, but its all good..

Thanks for the great feedback though!

playinwithfire

I would love to see the gains with 2+ vs. 1+. We need a dyno day.

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
When I get my car I will be doing before and after Dyno's.