GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

U.S. gets cheaper (less hp) GTI

bwoodahl

Ready to race!
The beancounters are taking control! In a way, I wish they would put all the bells and whistles on it (the USA version), sell it for the $32,000 -- I'd still buy it. It would be a very rare car. People would gawk, "That idiot paid what for that hatchback?!"

mongo1

Ready to race!
motor trend says the following:

...We won't get, even as options, adjustable electronic damper control, park assist, passenger airbag deactivation, rear foglamps, automatic climate control, a self-dimming mirror, storage drawers under the front seats, headlamp washers or manually adjusted headlamps. (We do get standard cruise control, but not the European-spec adaptive kind, and different cupholders. We can't be trusted, apparently, not to use the Euro version's slick built-in chrome bottle opener to pop open Miller High Lifes.) Xenon headlamps are now optional...

I don't read anything about a lack of steering wheel controls or a less powerful engine. In fact, on page 2 of that article, Motor Trend indicates we do get the 210hp engine:

...Its engine also carries over from the 2006-09, the 2.0L turbo FSI with 10 more ponies, for a total of 210...

Eliminating some of the expensive options makes a sad sense for the US market, but I can't believe they'd dump 13hp, or steering wheels with controls.

mongo1

Ready to race!
People would gawk, "That idiot paid what for that hatchback?!"

And then you'd tell them what the guy down the street paid for his John Cooper Works MINI, and they'd high five you for being thrifty. ;) (sure do like that JCW MINI though. It's just not in the cards for me)

MikeW

Ready to race!
My '03 will be up for replacement next year. It will likely come down to the Mk6 vs the Mini (the Hyundai Genesis could make it into the mix also). It really annoys me when VM dumbs down their cars for the US market. That migh be what the decision hinges on.

Purie

Passed Driver's Ed
It does look like it's going to be the same engine we have now (vw calls it 197hp), that's still pretty disappointing, the power that APR is making from the new engine looks really good. I think I'm going to stop looking for info on this car till we get some real evidence, all this speculation is getting tiresome.

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
check vw.com the US page says were getting that same 200hp engine

mongo1

Ready to race!
According to the VW USA spec sheet

http://media.vw.com/article_download...ticle_id=10476

we do get steering wheel controls as well as the 207 hp engine. Edmunds is wrong.

It also looks like we get some sort of "touchscreen" radio standard.

I still wish HIDs were standard but that is an option I am def getting...and bluetooth is now offered.

Unfortunately, that pdf indicates we get the 200hp, 207 lb torque engine... Although it also indicates we get a crapload of stuff standard. :)

easyman

Ready to race!
Unfortunately, that pdf indicates we get the 200hp, 207 lb torque engine... Although it also indicates we get a crapload of stuff standard. :)

yeah i misread that. the features looks good. Still wish HIDs were standard though

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
According to the VW USA spec sheet

http://media.vw.com/article_download...ticle_id=10476

we do get steering wheel controls as well as the 207 hp engine. Edmunds is wrong.

It also looks like we get some sort of "touchscreen" radio standard.

I still wish HIDs were standard but that is an option I am def getting...and bluetooth is now offered.
that link doesn't work for me. any other link with the cars standard features?

Danny Boy1

Ready to race!
hmmm. looks like i might go broke getting all these options lol