GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch strange noise/feel

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
Additional question: does removing the tranny/clutch assembly require new engine oil after the job is completed? I only ask because the shop charged me for oil/filter but I think it should have been included with the clutch job.

Nope. The only fluid that might be lost is transmission fluid.

syonxwf

Go Kart Champion
Just an FYI. True clutch chatter is not heard at idle or when the car in in motion with the clutch fully engaged. Clutch chatter only happens during the moment you start slipping the disk, and ends when the pressure plate is fully engaging the disk. Between these two moments, there is a series of really fast alternations of the disk gripping and slipping. These alternations between grip and slip cause a "chattering" noise. This is most common in puck style disks.

The noise you hear at idle is gear rattle. Gear rattle is the engines torsional vibrations going through the gear train. There is a momentary separation between the meshing gear teeth, and which then results in an impact between the meshing gear teeth.

OP, it sounds to me like you had a defective clutch. I doubt it has anything to do with the weather.

Details details:fighting0030:

Additional question: does removing the tranny/clutch assembly require new engine oil after the job is completed? I only ask because the shop charged me for oil/filter but I think it should have been included with the clutch job.

I don't believe (don't quote me) that either the transmission or the clutch are lubricated by the engine oil in any way. Transmission uses transmission fluid, and the clutch uses the same fluid as the brakes.

If it is used in some way, it shouldve been covered, otherwise I assume no. That doesn't mean it was right though if they didn't ask you.

mateid

Thanks guys. It's just that the dealer has been a bit sketchy and we're having a trust issue now. I asked for the tires to be rotated and the car washed and they said ok, it's all included in the 15K service. I double checked before I went to pick it up and they said it's all good. Well tires haven't been rotated and the car wasn't washed. Maybe I'm too anal but it kinda makes me wonder what else haven't they done. lol

T is for TURBO

Ready to race!
Details details:fighting0030:
Details are important.

I don't believe (don't quote me) that either the transmission or the clutch are lubricated by the engine oil in any way. Transmission uses transmission fluid, and the clutch uses the same fluid as the brakes.

If it is used in some way, it shouldve been covered, otherwise I assume no. That doesn't mean it was right though if they didn't ask you.

Fact: Dry clutches are not lubricated.
Fact: The engine oil is completely separate from the transmission.

OP:
If the dealer said that the oil needed to be changed during a clutch install, then they are full of shit.

TheMKVI

Go Kart Champion
Just an FYI. True clutch chatter is not heard at idle or when the car in in motion with the clutch fully engaged. Clutch chatter only happens during the moment you start slipping the disk, and ends when the pressure plate is fully engaging the disk. Between these two moments, there is a series of really fast alternations of the disk gripping and slipping. These alternations between grip and slip cause a "chattering" noise. This is most common in puck style disks.

The noise you hear at idle is gear rattle. Gear rattle is the engines torsional vibrations going through the gear train. There is a momentary separation between the meshing gear teeth, and which then results in an impact between the meshing gear teeth.

^THIS :clap: